Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

weird noise after turning off q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise after turning off q5

we have a 2011 3.2 q5 that has a little over a 1000 miles. I have noticed on a few occasions that after we turn the Q on and either turn it off right away or pull it out of the garage and into the driveway, a weird hum / moan like noise comes from the front after the engine is shut off. If i try to replicate the noise, it doesn't happen again. Anyone know what it might be or if i should be concerned? since its hard to replicate the noise, i dont know that the dealer will say.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

The first thing that comes to mind is the fan on the engine, I've had mine do that a few times when I start/stop it after moving the car while cleaning it. It's probably just trying to cool the engine.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do Audis have electric engine cooling fans the way VW has had for years? My Q hasn't arrived yet, but years ago my family owned several VWs. VW had designed their engines with an electric cooling fan that would stay on after the car was shut off until the engine cooled to a certain point. Wasn't a great system in Arizona. On more than one occassion it ran our car batteries to empty trying to to cool the engine. This was in the mid-80s. We had another VW in the mid 90s and they had improved that system quite a bit. I'm sure by now the battery thing isn't an issue, but even with our mid-90s Jetta it always sounded odd when the fan kicked in. You'd walk away from the car and people would stop and ask, "Did you leave your car on?"
Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jbidwal
we have a 2011 3.2 q5 that has a little over a 1000 miles. I have noticed on a few occasions that after we turn the Q on and either turn it off right away or pull it out of the garage and into the driveway, a weird hum / moan like noise comes from the front after the engine is shut off. If i try to replicate the noise, it doesn't happen again. Anyone know what it might be or if i should be concerned? since its hard to replicate the noise, i dont know that the dealer will say.
Hello I have a Q5 and A4 and I have heard that noise that you are talking about. It only happens every ones in a while after you turn the car off. I asked the dealer about it and It was told it has something to do with the water pump and its normal. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by araj82
Hello I have a Q5 and A4 and I have heard that noise that you are talking about. It only happens every ones in a while after you turn the car off. I asked the dealer about it and It was told it has something to do with the water pump and its normal. Hope this helps.
Thanks! That helps. This is our first Audi and German car for that matter so still have lots to learn.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I too have heard it on a few occasions. When I mentioned it to the dealer I received the standard 'could not reproduce' response.

-tgt
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jbidwal
there are plenty of noises that emanate from the Q ... if you drive it 'rough' wait till you hear what is equivalent to a WHEEEEEE of mechanics shutting down that is the suspension, or the clicking of the fuel pump, or there is a sound that is like a cell phone on vibrate just before you actually start up and the nav is booting up ...
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tosten
Do Audis have electric engine cooling fans the way VW has had for years
Yes, the Q5 does have ab electric cooling fan for the radiator. There is a warning sticker to that effect on the cowling when you open the hood. It basically says to use caution cause the fan can turn on at any time.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same boat here, but wanted to throw in a few more details, to see how these vibe with everyone, or if I'm describing a diff issue. I've heard many talk about the cooling fan running after shut off, which this def is NOT.

In my situation, the noise is:

-more of a pump wurring
-usually in two bursts, like winding up and down, lasting just a few seconds
-short enough to not be able to react and get my ear closer.
- 'feel' it's coming from the rear of the car, perhaps drivers side as it's pretty loud.
-doesn't happen every time I shut off the car, but when it does, it's only after I open the driver-side door.
-sometimes, I'll sit in the car for a few minutes (on the phone), and that noise only happens after I leave the car, after the car was off for some time.

Does this vibe with anyone? It's not a pleasant sound, i.e. expensive. It's def a motor, and the vision of something being tensioned or wound feels right.

Anyone?

Thanks

Chris
The following users liked this post:
31Audiappa (05-15-2021)
Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to the Q5 and this is the first think I noticed. I have come to the conclusion that it is the parking brake engaging. Are you putting your parking brake on then opening the door?

Originally Posted by phousedj
Same boat here, but wanted to throw in a few more details, to see how these vibe with everyone, or if I'm describing a diff issue. I've heard many talk about the cooling fan running after shut off, which this def is NOT.

In my situation, the noise is:

-more of a pump wurring
-usually in two bursts, like winding up and down, lasting just a few seconds
-short enough to not be able to react and get my ear closer.
- 'feel' it's coming from the rear of the car, perhaps drivers side as it's pretty loud.
-doesn't happen every time I shut off the car, but when it does, it's only after I open the driver-side door.
-sometimes, I'll sit in the car for a few minutes (on the phone), and that noise only happens after I leave the car, after the car was off for some time.

Does this vibe with anyone? It's not a pleasant sound, i.e. expensive. It's def a motor, and the vision of something being tensioned or wound feels right.

Anyone?

Thanks

Chris
The following users liked this post:
31Audiappa (05-15-2021)

Quick Reply: weird noise after turning off q5