Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Weird windshield wiper question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird windshield wiper question

As I look out from the drivers seat (in U.S./left seat), at the wiper which is on the right and which moves over to the left and stops right in my field of vision before moving back to the right, that wiper seems to leave some type of residue or something which causes the rainwater to accumulate in a different way right where the wiper stops before moving back to the left. I tried cleaning the wiper, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. It's a distraction because it creates a visible reflection along that line where the wiper stops, especially when driving in the rain at night. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Absent that, any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have the same issue. Pretty annoying.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by back nine
As I look out from the drivers seat (in U.S./left seat), at the wiper which is on the right and which moves over to the left and stops right in my field of vision before moving back to the right, that wiper seems to leave some type of residue or something which causes the rainwater to accumulate in a different way right where the wiper stops before moving back to the left. I tried cleaning the wiper, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. It's a distraction because it creates a visible reflection along that line where the wiper stops, especially when driving in the rain at night. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Absent that, any ideas as to what the problem might be?
I've not had that issue. You might try using RainX and this might diminish the issue.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
I've not had that issue. You might try using RainX and this might diminish the issue.
I have the same issue even if the dealer had some rainx (actually aquapel) applied on my windows as a free gift. It is really annoying. So far I haven't found anything to get rid of the trail.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I put RainX on my glass as soon as I got the car. HUGE mistake. The wipers "chattered" (skipping noisily) for months and I couldn't get it off. If you use RainX, don't use it on glass that has a wiper.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I use rain-x and it works great. I barely use the wipers since the water just shields off the glass.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree that the passenger-side wiper ending right in front of the driver's field of view is dumb. But I've managed to get used to it and it doesn't bother me any more, thankfully.

Also, I believe the manual suggests to avoid using products such as RainX, probably because of chattering (haven't tried it on my Q, but have had issues with that on other cars).

While on the topic of wipers, I'm finding it difficult to keep my windshield clean with all the salt spray on the roads these days. I'm literally using a gallon of washer fluid each week! And the passenger side never seems to get clean while at highway speeds. It's like the spray isn't sufficient, or doesn't get the right areas.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LuckyRobJ
I agree that the passenger-side wiper ending right in front of the driver's field of view is dumb. But I've managed to get used to it and it doesn't bother me any more, thankfully.

Also, I believe the manual suggests to avoid using products such as RainX, probably because of chattering (haven't tried it on my Q, but have had issues with that on other cars).

While on the topic of wipers, I'm finding it difficult to keep my windshield clean with all the salt spray on the roads these days. I'm literally using a gallon of washer fluid each week! And the passenger side never seems to get clean while at highway speeds. It's like the spray isn't sufficient, or doesn't get the right areas.

Any suggestions?
i've also had problems with my pasanger side (US) wiper. i removed it and noticed that the rubber blade was not straight and parts of the wiper would not have direct contact with the windshield so I decided to rebuild the entire wiper. should note that my car is less than 2 months old.

When I took everything apart I found the the reason for the rubber wiper not being straight (and causing streaks) was that the metal strip that holds the wiper was actually warped. I managed to straighten it out so that when i slid the rubber wiper back into the slot the wiper was straight across the entire length. i now wish i had taken photos. sorry.

two weeks 3 snow storms later and my repair appears to be holding.

i'm using rain x washer fluid and it works pretty well for me.

nelson

Last edited by njbiker; 01-27-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LuckyRobJ

Any suggestions?
You could always play with the washer nozzles and adjust them. You can usually do that with a needle inserted in the spray hole. There is a little ball that can be moved a bit. However, be carefull when adjusting it, you need to take into account the air pressure that will deflect the spray when the vehicle is moving. If you make the spray hit the center of the window while stopped, chances are at highway speed, the spray will hit about 1/4 of the window height.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
You could always play with the washer nozzles and adjust them. You can usually do that with a needle inserted in the spray hole. There is a little ball that can be moved a bit. However, be carefull when adjusting it, you need to take into account the air pressure that will deflect the spray when the vehicle is moving. If you make the spray hit the center of the window while stopped, chances are at highway speed, the spray will hit about 1/4 of the window height.
Thanks for the tip, I may give that a shot. I'm also going to check out the wiper and see if it's making good contact or not.

Quick Reply: Weird windshield wiper question