Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What changes would you make to the Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts
Default What changes would you make to the Q5?

How could we make an almost perfect automobile better?

I'm sure there are older threads on this but I'm new to the forum and wanted to share some ideas. Some of these have been touched on in other threads, others I haven't seen as much discussion about.

For reference purposes I have a 2010 Premium + with 19's but without Navigation and without B&O.

Here goes, in no specific order:

1. Include a rear lid close function from inside the cabin and from the remote. This has obviously been covered at length. One of the more curious omissions. Although, I'm not sure how many other vehicles in the segment include this feature.

2. Panoramic roof needs a solid screen. Mesh is close to useless. This may be the worst design flaw on the Q. I had to tint my roof with 20% ceramic and it still only rejects 60% of the heat.

3. Sport seat option w side bolsters and adjustable thigh support for US spec vehicles. Again, there is a whole seperate thread on this being left off the options list. US cars are always getting shafted on options for whatever reason.

4. More durable windshield wipers. My 05 BMW coupe wipers blew away the Q5's. Coupe wipers should never be better than an all wheel drive SUV. Q5 is designed to handle off road terrain and inclement weather. What's the deal with the Honda Civic wipers?

5. Car chirps once when locked with the remote, it should chirp twice when unlocked, or at least once.

6. Electronic oil monitor is kind of cool but there should also be a standard dipstick. From another thread I understand people have ordered their own. I think I will do the same.

7. I like to keep my instrument cluster display set on digital speedometer. In this mode there is no time display. Instead of showing the song playing above the digital speedometer, the time and date, or just the time should be shown in that space. The time is always shown on the MMI screen, but it should also be shown on every readout option in the cluster display. This way if you choose to shut off the MMI display completely you can always view the time in the cluster display, regardless of which mode you're in.

8. MMI should have search by letter function for artists in your iPod. Just like the search by letter function for your phonebook. With 10k songs in an iPod, trying to scroll to the bottom of your artists starting from the letter "A" is a joke. Unless I'm missing something, I've found no way to do this, except by a 48 minute scroll.

9. Technically the whole MMI system could be touchscreen for this price range vehicle. Aftermarket navys are far more advanced. I know many people have complained about this.

Of course some of the functions (like remote locking) can be adjusted using VAG-COM if you so desire.

Just a few things I've noticed since picking up my Q in early July. Most of them are minor, and don't take away from what has been an amazing automobile. A true joy to drive!

What, if anything, would you guys change?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Tech Package and travel with my family quite often. I leave the car on and my wife in the backseat as she likes to sit next to the baby, but I take the key with me. If she locks the car from the back seat, I have no recourse to open the car from the outside driver door other than to use the metal key or have her crawl into the front seat to pop the lock from there. The remote will not open the car while it is on if it's been locked from the rear.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

Unlock double chirp can be enabled with VAG-COM (http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagComAlarm.html).
Old 07-17-2010, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

1. Armrest that doesn't slide forward and guillotine your beverage.
2. 12v receptacles that work when the car is off.
3. Audio system that doesn't auto-shutdown after a short time with the key off.
4. Rear cargo partition that doesn't give you a black eye when you lean in to grab something because its blade edge is perfectly level with your head.
5. Power sunshade that opens like the roof (no holding down the button).

Then it would be absolutely perfect for me, not that I'm ever going to give it up!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't tried this with the iPod plugged in yet but it does work with just the jukebox so it might work on both. When you'rw scrolling try "spinning" the wheel, by that I mean turn it almost a full revolution as fast as you can. In jukebox mode it switches to a kind of speed search. It's very difficult to describe what the search mode looks and acts like, it takes a minute to figure out what's going on but it is useful. The movement to engage it is also very odd.

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

8. MMI should have search by letter function for artists in your iPod. Just like the search by letter function for your phonebook. With 10k songs in an iPod, trying to scroll to the bottom of your artists starting from the letter "A" is a joke. Unless I'm missing something, I've found no way to do this, except by a 48 minute scroll.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree with most of the above. Although I do like the mesh sunroof shade.

Add to the list:

1. Less obstructive side view mirrors.
2. Previous/skip track buttons on steering wheel. I don't like having to use scroll wheel to skip to next song.
3. Aluminum pedals
4. Dual-Tip exhaust outlets.
5. Brighter high-res MMI screen.
6. True ambient lighting
7. Remember shuffle setting on iPod
8. iPod video out support
9. Subwoofer level control
10. 30+ more HP
Old 07-17-2010, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snowcat

5. Power sunshade that opens like the roof (no holding down the button).
On mine, all you have to do is give the button one firm push and it will open/close by itself. If you hold it too long then you will have to continue to hold it.

Originally Posted by DAlba
9. Subwoofer level control
+1 I would really like to raise the sub volume a bit.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wish the rear trunk cover was like my old A4 Avant.
Sport pkg (includes seats, shocks/springs)
Old 07-17-2010, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Keyless entry as an option on any trim

2. Windshield wiper de-icer

3. Voice commands that control everything (temp, radio, etc)

4. Touch screen

5. Driver seat slide back when you put it in P and open the door or redesign the steering column. The permanent bruise on my leg would thank you.

6. I'd rather have a retractable cargo cover than the partition in there that's just at the right height to take an eye out when the back is open.

7. A cargo net to hold groceries.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A more powerful engine option. Not the V10, but a 4.2 V8 with 330+ HP would be great. With the competition's performance options, the Q5 won't get the respect it deserves until that happens.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 07-17-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Quick Reply: What changes would you make to the Q5?