Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

what is the downside of black leather?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by falloutgirl
it seems that a lot of people here aren't fond of the black interior -
Thats funny, most people I talk to love the black leather interior.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice to see the stats regarding Q5 owners' interor color selection
Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
See I hear that ALL the time especially since I live in the south. All summer long I get in and out of cars that have been baking in the sun. I can tell you this much EVERY color interior is hot. It does not matter what color it is.
Say what? Color doesn't matter? My white Lexus with tan interior was waaaaaaaaaaay cooler...as expected; just touch the hood of a black car and a white car. My black Q5 with tan interior is way cooler than my black Murano with black interior. Of course both get hot in the sun, but there really is no comparison in regards of temperature and heat retention.

Bob
Old 10-05-2009, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black is HOT!

Originally Posted by bob m
Say what? Color doesn't matter? My white Lexus with tan interior was waaaaaaaaaaay cooler...as expected; just touch the hood of a black car and a white car. My black Q5 with tan interior is way cooler than my black Murano with black interior. Of course both get hot in the sun, but there really is no comparison in regards of temperature and heat retention.

Bob
couldn't agree more...my MINI with Black int. is profoundly more hot than my 335 with Nat Brown. It was so hot that I eventually covered the glass roof with a white decal. That helped a lot but it's still hotter than the BMW.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by falloutgirl
it seems that a lot of people here aren't fond of the black interior - and i'm just curious why. we are interested in an '09 Q5 available but it is the Silver Metallic/Black leather combo and i'm debating whether it's a good choice.
Here's my personal view on this, it's pretty much a matter of taste ...

My last 5 cars had beige (with one gray exception) interiors, I never had any issues with leather discoloring or any other "looks" problems. I much prefer lighter interiors for these reasons:

• black absorbs the heat much more than lighter colors (that's a big issue here in TX where you literally get you behind fried when you get into the car after parking in the sun
  • black makes the interior look a lot smaller, beige and gray give a more spacious feeling (I just confirmed that theory after I painted in home theater room in a darker blue vs. the beige it was before, the room feels very noticeably smaller)
That's the reason I will never get an "S" car from Audi, they only come with black interiors (and if you're lucky with a different colored seat surface).

Sit in a black interior car and then in the same model beige or gray, see if it bugs you ...

Hope this helps
Old 10-05-2009, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

thank you so much for all of your replies. definitely helped us out. the heat retention is not so much of an issue for us because we live in Seattle.

the main concern is our kids and the ease with which they muck up everything around them. so i think we'll go with the black.

thanks again!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We have young kids, and we would not consider any other color but black interior.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NatashaR
I think if the seats were the only part of the interior that changed colour, the beige would look OK, but when the dash, and carpet are all the same colour, I couldn't choose anything but black.
My interior is gray, but the dash and upper trim of the doors are black. Sometimes I wish Audi stuck to black dashes.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I live in Texas and I can tell you, Black on Black is the best color combo out there IMO

combine it with nice tint, it's classy