Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What tire brand/model 18" tires on recent Q5's ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

curious about what made you stick with the 18"s? other than cost, any particular reason? thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 231 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Fyi. If ur hoping for michelins cause the snow traction Will be better think again. My q5 came with the michelin lattitude. By far the worse tires in snow( even light) that i have ever had. Like the tires otherwise.
I hear you, but according the the Tire Rack surveys on the 3 OEM tires, 85% would buy the Conti's again, 65% for the Michelins, and only 25% for the Dunlops. If I get Conti's I will be blessed, the Michelins are a good compromise and ok with them, if my Q5 comes with Dunlops I will buy new tires.

I currently have Bridgestone Turanza LSH's on my A4 and it is a tank in snow, great ride comfort, and handling. I also had various performance AS Michelins and was happy with them.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by prosgal73
curious about what made you stick with the 18"s? other than cost, any particular reason? thanks
I ordered a base Premium Q5 with heated seats, Xenons, rear air bags, no sunroof as I really don't need, or would use, the Premium Plus equipment, thus the standard 18" tires, and I like the wheel look. I also like the that the 18" has more rubber between rim and road for the pot holes around here.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by oltmannd
We got our car March 29th in Atlanta. It came with the Dunlops.
What are your comments about them?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine was delivered just over two months ago. Came with the Continentals. Like them so far. Never much of a fan of Michelins. I went with the 18s for a better ride. Roads in South East Michigan suck. May move up to 19s when I put snows n the originals.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Plasticar
Mine was delivered just over two months ago. Came with the Continentals. Like them so far. Never much of a fan of Michelins. I went with the 18s for a better ride. Roads in South East Michigan suck. May move up to 19s when I put snows n the originals.
I'm hoping I get the same!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
What are your comments about them?
The Dunlop tires are fine, although I have little to compare them to and we've only drive the Q5 2200 miles. If they have a drawback, it's that the "ring" a bit on highway joints. You can sometimes hear a "pinnngggg" sound as they hit an irregularity.

The Q5 generally handles so well and is so quiet, I have no idea if it would be noticeably different with different tires.

I've put Dunlop high performance all season tires on my 5 speed, V6 '98 Camry for years. Some better than others. None were bad.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by prosgal73
The 18" wheels look good, might ride a hair better, might handle a hair worse. Net benefit to me near zero, so why pay more?
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've used Dunlop WnterSport tires on a previous A4, LOVED them. Also had SP9000 high performance tires on same. No longer available, but they were great, other than getting noisy at eld-of-life (like most Max Perf tires). Less impressed with their "standard" road tires. Like most brands, some tires are better than others, mainly due to our own desires for performance (grip, rain, ride comfort, quietness, etc.). Tires we love would drive our parents or grandparents or even neighbors crazy.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by oltmannd
The Dunlop tires are fine, although I have little to compare them to and we've only drive the Q5 2200 miles. If they have a drawback, it's that the "ring" a bit on highway joints. You can sometimes hear a "pinnngggg" sound as they hit an irregularity.

The Q5 generally handles so well and is so quiet, I have no idea if it would be noticeably different with different tires.

I've put Dunlop high performance all season tires on my 5 speed, V6 '98 Camry for years. Some better than others. None were bad.
I agree for most driving conditions any of the 3 tires would do. My concern if the winter (snow) when my Q5 will be used the most. I also will only drive the Q5 less than 2500 miles so the tires that come on the Q5 will most likely be on there 10 years from now. So I would just like to start out with some good AS tires that do well in the snow...I'm hoping for the Conti's.

Quick Reply: What tire brand/model 18" tires on recent Q5's ?