Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What are your gripes about the Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This bothers me too. The only way i have found to check if the lights are on, is to turn on the nav and check the map screen. If it is in night mode, the low beams are on. If the lights are not on, the map will be in daytime mode, no matter if it is daylight or nighttime. If i didn't have the nav, this would bother me a lot more.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TriMan
First of all, love the car! Had mine for two months now and am really, really happy.

Here is my little gripe:
I have Xe lights and don't want to leave them on Auto because they would switch on in the garage at home and then again in the parking garage at work. I understand that warm starting Xe lights too often will shorten their life. However, if I switch the lights off, the instrument lights go off as well. Especially in the parking garage when the light sensor detects darkness. I think the manual says that this was to remind us to switch the lights on. I wonder whether this could be tweaked with the VW diagnostic computer program....
Try this: from the MMI select CAR; scroll down to and select EXTERIOR LIGHTING; then select LEAVING HOME and turn the timer to OFF; and finally select COMING HOME and then select OFF.

Should take care of your issue.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
What I'm referring to is an annoying slight hesitation while pulling the car away from a dead stop, like from a red light. My Q5 will give a slight hiccup (not the tranny thing, definitely an engine thing) when going from 0 mph to 5 mph. Not sure where it happens, probably somewhere in the middle around 2-3 mph I guess.

Again, this feels like a fuel mapping thing, definitely not transmission, thus my keen interest in whether you've experienced it or not and also what the Stasis might due to remedy it.
My wife's 2011 2.0T A4 with 8 speed Tip has the same issue. I really noticed it today while driving it.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RCM09
My wife's 2011 2.0T A4 with 8 speed Tip has the same issue. I really noticed it today while driving it.
That's why I'm eager to hear Cprg2011's experience with the Stasis update. Hopefully in addition to the power and torque gains, it will also smooth out what appears to be some low end fueling issues.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I am misreading what you mean by hesitation....
excuse me if this is too much of a primer...

but without going into too much detail...an engine is an air pump and
a turbo is added to force more boost into the engine by being powered by exhaust...
you can't have boost without exhaust and you can't have exhaust without rpm's...

so off idle 'slowness' is the nature of the beast for 'most' single turbo charged cars... until the rpm's come up and generate exhaust...

why you see a lot of mfg's going to dual turbo's one for low speed boost and one for high speed boost...

even my 450hp - 800 lbft diesel has some hesitation...
it can easily be improved by tuning and a mini-brake stand to build rpm's without moving and thus get turbo response...
Old 09-25-2011, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Maybe I am misreading what you mean by hesitation....
excuse me if this is too much of a primer...

but without going into too much detail...an engine is an air pump and
a turbo is added to force more boost into the engine by being powered by exhaust...
you can't have boost without exhaust and you can't have exhaust without rpm's...

so off idle 'slowness' is the nature of the beast for 'most' single turbo charged cars... until the rpm's come up and generate exhaust...

why you see a lot of mfg's going to dual turbo's one for low speed boost and one for high speed boost...

even my 450hp - 800 lbft diesel has some hesitation...
it can easily be improved by tuning and a mini-brake stand to build rpm's without moving and thus get turbo response...
Well, you may have a point there John Boy as this is my first turbo so this could actually be quite normal as far as turbo engines go. Perhaps I am missing something though: My very limited knowledge on turbo engines is that the turbo doesn't really "kick in" until called upon, for instance passing power or gunning it off the line. What I believe I'm experiencing is not turbo lag unless of course turbo lag can happen at any speed, in my case somewhere around 2-3 mph coming from a dead stop.

Are my impressions of turbo performance skewed? I wouldn't be surprised because again, this is a bit of a learning curve for me.

Thanks, any and all enlightenment is appreciated!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Well, you may have a point there John Boy as this is my first turbo so this could actually be quite normal as far as turbo engines go. Perhaps I am missing something though: My very limited knowledge on turbo engines is that the turbo doesn't really "kick in" until called upon, for instance passing power or gunning it off the line. What I believe I'm experiencing is not turbo lag unless of course turbo lag can happen at any speed, in my case somewhere around 2-3 mph coming from a dead stop.

Are my impressions of turbo performance skewed? I wouldn't be surprised because again, this is a bit of a learning curve for me.

Thanks, any and all enlightenment is appreciated!
The turbo kicks in once exhaust starts flowing and the turbo spools up. It is not something that is activated only in certain instances.

From your description, it sounds what you're experiencing, that you don't like, is slight turbo lag. Our A4 2.0T 8 speed tranny is slow off the line at first press of the gas peddle, but as the turbo spools up, it gets a surge of power and accelerates forward. It is noticeable, but isn't bad at all, and is completely normal. My partner is new to turbo engines, as you are, and he b*tches about it all the time. It seems to be something you either get used to, or don't, as we've had the A4 for a year this past week, and he still complains about it.

You mentioned in a prior post about transmission adaptation...I'd not recommend this, unless you know your dealership actually knows how to do it. Some idiot, who no longer works at my dealership, tried to do the one in my old Q5, and F'd it up so bad it was never fixable, and we ended up trading the car. Make sure you do due diligence before letting someone adapt your transmission.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my assumption as well...

my guess as to the main intent of the mfg's going to small turbos is to get the fuel mpg up when poking around to try and meet the ludicrous gooberment corporate mpg targets, but yet still have 6 cylinder like performance out of a 4 cyl engine....

as the exhaust builds the boost builds (to a point) and thus the hp and torque builds...

the power delivery can be smooth across the board once some exhaust flow is created or it can be non-existent and then explosive (even uncontrollable in some engines) depending on the tuning...
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys, I have a clearer picture now for sure, thanks for setting me straight. I just hope I don't have the long range dislike to turbo like Urban's partner, so far I'm not lovin' it and it does bug me.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did the Stasis update and I can tell you that the accelleration is not the issue any more - however, slowing down towards 5-10mph the transmission still has that bumpy feeling of braking and switching gears. I did not ask the dealer for a transmission update but I will check with them when my next service is due.

Quick Reply: What are your gripes about the Q5?