Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What's the point of the plastic "emergency" key...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I can pick up the key holder online somewhere.
Can anyone tell me the PN of the key holder that fits into that little clip in the glove box?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by scottndsky
Maybe I can pick up the key holder online somewhere.
Can anyone tell me the PN of the key holder that fits into that little clip in the glove box?

Thanks,
Scott
S/N: 8T0 837 148

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...ng_855046.html
Old 11-01-2014, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Bought a 2012 Q5 that had been leased. Not until we were about to sign the papers did the dealer inform us there was only 1 key fob. No second key fob, no emergency key. We bought from an Audi dealer, though it wasn't certified. It made us so angry that they didn't tell us that we almost walked. We've ordered from Audi (different dealership, of course!):

* New emergency key that goes in the plastic holder in the glove box ($94)
* Second fob ($163)
* Pull key for second fob ($94)

Programming is an hour of labor. So we're out about $500.

If it were a non-Audi dealer I would be more forgiving, but the fact that we bought it from an Audi dealer (who bought it from an Audi dealer) is ridiculous. The leasing dealer should have made the leasing party pay for replacements, and the dealer we bought it from should have made it known up front there was just one fob.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

When I picked my car up at the dealer, he explained that if for some reason my keyless entry key malfunctions, then I can insert this key (in plastic pouch) into my key slot to crank the car. I assumed that it is a temporary manual key that can be used if any of the electronic keyless entry components or key battery goes down.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BigPorter
Bought a 2012 Q5 that had been leased. Not until we were about to sign the papers did the dealer inform us there was only 1 key fob. No second key fob, no emergency key. We bought from an Audi dealer, though it wasn't certified. It made us so angry that they didn't tell us that we almost walked. We've ordered from Audi (different dealership, of course!):

* New emergency key that goes in the plastic holder in the glove box ($94)
* Second fob ($163)
* Pull key for second fob ($94)

Programming is an hour of labor. So we're out about $500.

If it were a non-Audi dealer I would be more forgiving, but the fact that we bought it from an Audi dealer (who bought it from an Audi dealer) is ridiculous. The leasing dealer should have made the leasing party pay for replacements, and the dealer we bought it from should have made it known up front there was just one fob.
I'm in this same boat on my new to me 2014 Q5. One key provided. Fun times to jump through these hoops to get additional keys.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thief doesn't need a key at all.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Need help !

Hello everyone
I just bought an Audi A3 2004 fsi a week ago and the seller only gave me one key and told that he lost the other . I have read on internet that there’s a spare key hidden in car somewhere in Audi’s .Can anyone suggest me where could be that key .I have looked at car dashboard but could find anything so far .
cheers .
Old 05-06-2020, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravi Nder
Hello everyone
I just bought an Audi A3 2004 fsi a week ago and the seller only gave me one key and told that he lost the other . I have read on internet that there’s a spare key hidden in car somewhere in Audi’s .Can anyone suggest me where could be that key .I have looked at car dashboard but could find anything so far .
cheers .
Seller gave me 2 original keys. the service key (wallet key) was not given to me though in the glove compartment there is a housing for it. This key is very thin. Usually Original buyer Keeps this key in his wallet for emergency or service reasons. It gets forgotten and lost over the time. This is a Q5 forum by the way
Old 05-07-2020, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravi Nder
Hello everyone
cheers .

As the 'apoelistas' wrote, this is a forum for Q5 not A3

Try here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-13/

The Audi A3 does not have this adapter as pictured

Last edited by spijun; 05-07-2020 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

spare key part #?

Searched, could not find it, only the plastic mount/fob
It would appear this key is plastic so it should cut really easy

I found a picture of it online but don't see any numbers

I also assume this plastic key has to be cut to match the master metal key

Last edited by egp320i; 06-05-2020 at 02:56 AM.

Quick Reply: What's the point of the plastic "emergency" key...?