Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

When should I use "S"

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When should I use "S"

I am not sure when to use the "S" setting on the shift column. It says it is for sporty starts... but do you leave it there? Is it like putting a normal car in D2?

Also, a note to the "German Engineers" It is a much better design to have the tiptronic available by bringing the shift rod to the left rather than the right. When you rest your hand on the shift ****, it is easy to accidentally push away and end up in tiptronic.. It is almost impossible to accidentally come towards you. The Swedes figured this out and the tiptronic is activated by moving the **** towards you rather than away.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember this car is for right hand drivers too - so it is 'correct' as you say for them

I too wonder what the difference between S and D AND tiptronic are...
in general I know, but specifically what is the difference ?

Also, in Audi speak - what is the difference between the model designations?

r, rs, s, tt, etc...
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=JohnBoyToo;24243137]remember this car is for right hand drivers too - so it is 'correct' as you say for them

shouldn't make a difference. If you are left handed, you still would never rest your left hand on the shift ****.. My point is that while resting, you can accidentally move into tiptronic if you accidentally push out with your hand. Pushing down from the driver's angle (which may occur if the car is going around a turn and you are "holding on") actually pushes out a bit and can put you in tiptronic. There isn't a natural motion that would pull "in" so if tiptronic was in that direction, it wouldn't be accidentally effectuated. Once you are in the tiptronic mode, it doesn't matter, you would shift the same left or right handed.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=radman2020;24243144]
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
remember this car is for right hand drivers too - so it is 'correct' as you say for them

shouldn't make a difference. If you are left handed, you still would never rest your left hand on the shift ****.. My point is that while resting, you can accidentally move into tiptronic if you accidentally push out with your hand. Pushing down from the driver's angle (which may occur if the car is going around a turn and you are "holding on") actually pushes out a bit and can put you in tiptronic. There isn't a natural motion that would pull "in" so if tiptronic was in that direction, it wouldn't be accidentally effectuated. Once you are in the tiptronic mode, it doesn't matter, you would shift the same left or right handed.
He was referring to cars where the driver sits on the right of the car, and not on the left, like we do.

With the S mode, you can put it there, and leave it there. It changes the engine/throttle response as well as the shifting points of the transmission. It makes for a sportier drive, albeit at the cost of MPG.

I, personally, don't take issue with the way the tiptronic works. I've owned Audi/VW cars for many years, and I've never once accidentally put any of them into tiptronic, and I oftentimes rest my hand on the shift lever. Everyone will have a different experience with how something is setup, it doesn't make it right or wrong, per se. You mention Swedish car manufacturers have figured out to put the tiptronic feature to the left, they have also figured out how to make a perfectly dull and boring car too, if you're referring to Volvo. BMW's tiptronic is different as well. When in tiptronic for their cars if you push forward it lowers the gear instead of increasing it like Audi's does. It is these types of things that make a car work for someone, and if it doesn't, oftentimes changing brands will make for a better fit.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=UrbanExtant;24243160][QUOTE=radman2020;24243144]

He was referring to cars where the driver sits on the right of the car, and not on the left, like we do.

With the S mode, you can put it there, and leave it there. It changes the engine/throttle response as well as the shifting points of the transmission. It makes for a sportier drive, albeit at the cost of MPG.

I, personally, don't take issue with the way the tiptronic works. I've owned Audi/VW cars for many years, and I've never once accidentally put any of them into tiptronic, and I oftentimes rest my hand on the shift lever. Everyone will have a different experience with how something is setup, it doesn't make it right or wrong, per se. You mention Swedish car manufacturers have figured out to put the tiptronic feature to the left, they have also figured out how to make a perfectly dull and boring car too,

Sorry.. I was unclear. The volvo works exactly the same. It isn't on the left of the driver... It is invoked by moving the shift lever slightly toward the driver instead of slightly away. Otherwise it is identical. If you haven't accidentally invoked tiptronic, great. But you can see how someone else might easily do that by pushing "down" (really down and away). I have done it a few times. Not a big deal.. but I would never do it if what was required was a motion toward the driver. Just a very very very fine point that I am making.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by radman2020
Sorry.. I was unclear.
I knew what you meant. When I said "put the feature to the left" it was in reference to the motion in regards to shifter location, i.e. Audi to the right of shifter, Volvo to the left.

You mention "push down and away" when resting your hand on the shift lever. It doesn't seem it would be good to put that much pressure on the lever. There's resting one's hand on it, and then there is pushing on it. I just rest my hand on it, and perhaps that's why I've not accidentally activated tiptronic.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 01-02-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=radman2020;24243144]
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo

I am not sure how you manage to accidentally push on the gear lever, except when you want to.

If your hands are on the steering wheel to steer the car you will not have that problem. Are you one of those guys with the steering ball on the steering wheel?
As to "holding on", I would suggest that you move your seat into such a position that it "holds you on" - sit a little closer to the wheel and more upright normaly does it. You can also brace yourself with your left foot by pushing against the deadrest and your right knee against the center fascia. That way you can keep control over the car and not accidentally push the gear lever when "holding on".

I hope this helps...

Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the day, resting your hand on the shifter (manual or auto) supposedly hastens transmission problems. Not sure if today's transmissions are more durable. I think the owner's manual also recommends against this practice.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

but if you keep your hands on the steering wheel you can also 'accidentally' put the Q into another gear by grabbing the shift-paddles!! :P

this is handy for me for a quick pick up on the highway passing or on-ramp but I generally try to think ahead and put it into S mode instead as the quick flip of the paddles (while in D NOT trip-tronic) requires an immediate acceleration (or deceleration too I guess) vs. the S mode keeps the vehicle revving higher for more driver response time.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife have accidentally shift into manual mode a few times, its not a big deal, it doesnt damage anything.