Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

When should I use "S"

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
BMW's tiptronic is different as well. When in tiptronic for their cars if you push forward it lowers the gear instead of increasing it like Audi's does.
This is one thing I don't like about the Q5 (and I guess other Audis). As you accelerate, you are pulled back in the seat. Seems more natuaral to pull back to shift up. But then again if it was a manual you would have to push up and down.

Just FYI, not all BMWs are this way. My 2001 X5 shifted like the Audi - that is until I opened up the shifter and switched the wires - fixed!!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=dsackman;24243178]
Originally Posted by radman2020

I am not sure how you manage to accidentally push on the gear lever, except when you want to.

If your hands are on the steering wheel to steer the car you will not have that problem. Are you one of those guys with the steering ball on the steering wheel?
As to "holding on", I would suggest that you move your seat into such a position that it "holds you on" - sit a little closer to the wheel and more upright normaly does it. You can also brace yourself with your left foot by pushing against the deadrest and your right knee against the center fascia. That way you can keep control over the car and not accidentally push the gear lever when "holding on".

I hope this helps...

My hand naturally rests on the shift. Given the fantastically complicated MMI controls in that area, that isn't a bad place for it. Shifting forward or back isn't going to happen...you have to press the button. But it only takes a very small push to the side to get into tiptronic mode. I was just making the observation that if tiptronic was activated by tipping it towards the driver rather than away, it would work just a little better. No danger of accidentally invoking it. A firmer feel to the shifter as well because you can rest moderately heavily on it without it moving. It is just a small pet peeve... no biggie.

What I really want to know is when to use the S position...and how to use it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I would agree from an ergonomics perspective (although I'm sure Audi had human systems interface engineers involved and would have a counter-point). Only once have I inadvertently switched into 'manual mode', presumably while reaching away from me for something.

To the original question, S-mode lowers the shift point. That is, keeps it in a lower gear longer so as to provide better acceleration. I typically switch to 'S' while still on a secondary road prior to the entrance ramp to the interstate so I can be better assured of smoothly merging into traffic (fast moving highway very early in the morn'). I switch back to normal Tiptronic once I've merged into the travel lane as the lower gearing is then detrimental to overdrive auto-selection and thereby fuel economy.

[QUOTE=radman2020;24243523]
Originally Posted by dsackman

My hand naturally rests on the shift. Given the fantastically complicated MMI controls in that area, that isn't a bad place for it. Shifting forward or back isn't going to happen...you have to press the button. But it only takes a very small push to the side to get into tiptronic mode. I was just making the observation that if tiptronic was activated by tipping it towards the driver rather than away, it would work just a little better. No danger of accidentally invoking it. A firmer feel to the shifter as well because you can rest moderately heavily on it without it moving. It is just a small pet peeve... no biggie.

What I really want to know is when to use the S position...and how to use it.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Huey52;24243554]I would agree from an ergonomics perspective (although I'm sure Audi had human systems interface engineers involved and would have a counter-point). Only once have I inadvertently switched into 'manual mode', presumably while reaching away from me for something.

To the original question, S-mode lowers the shift point. That is, keeps it in a lower gear longer so as to provide better acceleration. I typically switch to 'S' while still on a secondary road prior to the entrance ramp to the interstate so I can be better assured of smoothly merging into traffic (fast moving highway very early in the morn'). I switch back to normal Tiptronic once I've merged into the travel lane as the lower gearing is then detrimental to overdrive auto-selection and thereby fuel economy.

thanks. I didn't know if leaving it in S is like leaving a traditional car in "2" which is definitely a no no...

as for the ergonomic engineers, I am giving them no benefit of the doubt. They are the same engineers that only allow the sun visor to be accessible to the right hand. If I am driving with my left hand (when it isn't on the shift), If I quickly reach up to pull down the visor when sun hits my eyes, I am out of luck. The visor is recessed and you can only get your fingers around it on the right side. Any sensible engineer would have allowed access from either side. These are the guys who make it a 5 step process to select your radio presets!!

Thank goodness the car drives well...

Old 01-03-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I only drive in "S" mode (unless I am in manual mode) - wife never does. I like the response of S mode, even with highway driving. Doesn't bother me that I get a little less mpg.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

While we are at it...
How about the pretzel our arms make when we start in paddles from a stop and we are immediately in a sharp turn (still in D1). The shift to D2 is a little tricky with that right paddle at 8 o'clock position.
I really like my Q5
Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use S mode on the on ramps and off ramps as well for the reason mentioned earlier. Also use it a lot when on hilly or mountain roads. Staying in a lower gear allows better control of your speed with just the gas pedal. In a higher gear and a down slope, you could shift from gas to brake back and forth quite a bit. With the lower gear you get some engine braking. Riding your brakes down a mountain road is not good. We took the Q5 to Smoky Mountain national park and I was pretty pleased with how well S mode worked. I didn't have to use Tiptronic too much, something that I couldn't say for rental cars during vacations in Big Sur or Yosemite. I seem to recall reading that the Q5 can tell it's going downhill and will hold a lower gear longer.

Last edited by gat821; 01-04-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by radman2020
The Swedes figured this out and the tiptronic is activated by moving the **** towards you rather than away.
The Swedes borrowed that idea from BMW
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

S mode keeps the engine speed higher and also turns off a lot of the throttle "lag" (smoothing)... It's especially helpful on the 8-speed tiptronic and 2.0T combination because while cruising, the 8spd transmission keeps engine speed so low that you have to wait for both the kickdown and the turbo spool before you get accelerator response.

S mode is most useful when you anticipate the need to pass someone or otherwise need the car to respond as quickly to sudden throttle inputs as possible. As far as I can tell/measure, on the Tiptronic, S mode and D mode perform identically when you floor it all the way to the kickdown switch. So if you're just planning on pushing the pedal to the metal, don't bother shifting into S.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5Dawg
I only drive in "S" mode (unless I am in manual mode) - wife never does. I like the response of S mode, even with highway driving. Doesn't bother me that I get a little less mpg.
I'm the same as you, I use it all the time. I don't like driving S while in traffic though. That's when I switch it to D.