Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

When will the Q5 body style change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually think the ride on my S-Line is quite comfortable. Granted my other ride is a 911 which has an incredibly stiff suspension, but I can't imagine riding in an SUV with a squishy handling/suspension, or even wanting something like that. I think having an SUV that handles more like a sports car and less like my living room couch is a great thing.

It reminds me of when I was getting an oil change at Jack Daniels Porsche in NJ back in the day and a soccer mom was talking to the rep about how rough the ride in her Cayenne was. The rep told her as politely as he could, "This is a performance automobile - the ride is supposed to feel responsive - if you wanted mushy handling, you should have gotten a Mercedes SUV."

I almost spit my coffee out when I heard that.

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Problem with the Sline package is that you actually have to drive in it! I drove one this past weekend and was shocked at how firm the ride was compared to the non Sline's. I actually hated the ride. Kind of seems like an oxymoron to put a sport suspension in an SUV anyway, only gonna help so much and you sacrifice comfort for handling big time IMHO. I do like the exterior bits though, anyone know if they can be ordered as parts for non Sline Q5's?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by runandshoot
I actually think the ride on my S-Line is quite comfortable. Granted my other ride is a 911 which has an incredibly stiff suspension, but I can't imagine riding in an SUV with a squishy handling/suspension, or even wanting something like that. I think having an SUV that handles more like a sports car and less like my living room couch is a great thing.

It reminds me of when I was getting an oil change at Jack Daniels Porsche in NJ back in the day and a soccer mom was talking to the rep about how rough the ride in her Cayenne was. The rep told her as politely as he could, "This is a performance automobile - the ride is supposed to feel responsive - if you wanted mushy handling, you should have gotten a Mercedes SUV."

I almost spit my coffee out when I heard that.

Runandshoot, weren't you expecting another new addition last month in addition to your Q5?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Problem with the Sline package is that you actually have to drive in it! I drove one this past weekend and was shocked at how firm the ride was compared to the non Sline's. I actually hated the ride. Kind of seems like an oxymoron to put a sport suspension in an SUV anyway, only gonna help so much and you sacrifice comfort for handling big time IMHO. I do like the exterior bits though, anyone know if they can be ordered as parts for non Sline Q5's?
According to Audi's description of the Sline package on the Q5 there is nothing different with the suspension. The ride feels different because of the wheel size. I live in NYC as well so I know all about bad roads and the difference one or two inches makes on the wheel sizing.

Here's Audi's s-line package contents on the site:

S line® Package
Adding to the already remarkable look of your Audi Q5, this package includes 20" S line® five-tri-spoke wheels equipped with 255/45 summer performance tires. Inside, the Brushed Aluminum decorative inlays extend across the center console, doors and dashboard, and when matched with the unique black headliner, add a sleek look to the vehicle. Exclusive S line touches continue throughout the interior with perforated-leather-wrapped, three-spoke, multifunction steering wheel with shift paddles and shift ****
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

S4forDC - you are correct - we had our baby girl at Sibley Memorial on Easter Sunday. Haven't been sleeping much since, but she is quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Originally Posted by S4forDC
Runandshoot, weren't you expecting another new addition last month in addition to your Q5?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by runandshoot
S4forDC - you are correct - we had our baby girl at Sibley Memorial on Easter Sunday. Haven't been sleeping much since, but she is quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen!
That's terrific...congrats!

A new daughter (no doubt she's the cutest ever)and a new Q5. It doesn't get any better than that! You sound like a proud new parent; hope you'll both get into a sleep routine quickly.

Last edited by S4forDC; 05-05-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

A new daughter (no doubt she's the cutest ever)and a new Q5. It doesn't get any better than that! You sound like a proud Mom; hope you'll both get into a sleep routine quickly.
Congratulation on both of your beautiful new babies!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

A new daughter (no doubt she's the cutest ever)and a new Q5. It doesn't get any better than that! You sound like a proud Mom; hope you'll both get into a sleep routine quickly.
Congratulations on both of your beautiful new babies!!!