Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Where to buy Armour All Wheel Protectant?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redherring
With all due respect, that's like criticizing a movie you haven't seen. I have used this product, and it probably cuts the brake dust at least in half. The tricky part is applying it evenly, because the spots you miss get dirty well before the spots you hit--but that's how you know it works.

I got mine at my local O'Reilly/Murray's auto parts. $7.99 there too.
+1

picked mine up at target. impressed with the results, but confused about how i missed the spots that i did. i was sure i sprayed it on generously. the pic is after 6 days of application. the main surface of the spokes are pretty clean. it's just the angled surfaces that the spots are accumulating. still, after 6 days it looks much better than after 2 days without. i'm going to try again after my next wash this weekend.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

One thing I'm not sure I agree with is the overall time of protection though. The bottle says it works for a month. Perhaps this is so, but the protection was more noticeable for me the first 2 weeks than the second 2. But again I've only used it the one time so take that for what it's worth.
+1 on the 2 weeks--it definitely doesn't last a month. I'm very interested to see how well it applies in the winter, when it's not easy to wash your wheels so frequently.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For you peeps that like this stuff... I saw it at Target for $5.97.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

First... you need to use a better tire dressing. A lot of the crap on the wheels is sling off from the wet style tire dressings. The VRT from Adams is great. You get a nice deep black tire but zero sling off.

Second... you need to wax the wheels. Just make sure they are cool first and apply a layer of regular car wax. This will help keep some of the brake dust off the wheels.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by boltsfan
First... you need to use a better tire dressing. A lot of the crap on the wheels is sling off from the wet style tire dressings. The VRT from Adams is great. You get a nice deep black tire but zero sling off.

Second... you need to wax the wheels. Just make sure they are cool first and apply a layer of regular car wax. This will help keep some of the brake dust off the wheels.
I tried Wheel Wax (I know Discount Tire carries it) and it works great for wheels. It does not cut down on the dust from brakes but it makes it easy to rinse off and lasts a long time
Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got mine at Costco in Canada. Works great.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any wax or sealant will make the brake dust stick even more.And yes it makes it easier to clean the wheels. It's just like after you wax your car's paint the road dust will stick to it like a magnet. There are a few quick detailers that claim to reduce this effect. I gave up on the ArmorAll as my soap contains some polymer protection and cancels out the ArmorAlls effect.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Walmart
Old 09-19-2010, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dbkuhn
Hi all....first post from a very low profile member.

I wouldn't fall for this stuff. No personal experience with it, but based on MANY years of frustration with VAG brake dust, waxing wheels...applying sealant to wheels, blah, blah...the best solution is a car wash soap and water mixture regularly.

Quite sure I am going to be a mental patient when our Q5 arrives next week.
No, it really works, for at least several weeks. Longer if you have dry weather. The wheels must be absolutely clean to start.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kozmo
No, it really works, for at least several weeks. Longer if you have dry weather. The wheels must be absolutely clean to start.
Agree 100%. I went a full month with the Armour-All before washing the wheels again. I have had far more brake dust after 1 week of driving than after a month with Armour-All. If you wash your wheels, it will also wash off the AA, but that's a small price to pay IMHO for keeping that dust at bay.

Bob

Quick Reply: Where to buy Armour All Wheel Protectant?