Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Where do you fuel up? / Minimize carbon build-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Gulf 93.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Isn't good once in a while to bring up the revs to blow out any carbon build ups?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thundercloud
Mine actually came as a supplemental brochure, when I purchased my car in December. So it wasn't in the actual manual.
I also have the Top Tier gas supplemental brochure with my Q5 which was purchased in December.

Under "What if I can't find TOP TIER Gasoline" it suggests the use of "Audi fuel additive" (purchased at Audi dealer) if top tier fuel is not available or "If most of your driving is done over short distances, using Audi fuel additive every 3,000 miles will help keep your engine clean and performing at its best." 3k miles is pretty much my annual mileage.

Does anyone have experience using the additive?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by palumbo3284
I think it is worth it, to protect my investment. It made me plan a head and not wait to last minute to fuel up.

Anyone in PA have issues finding 93? I can only find 91. I use Shell 91.
In some states 91 is the best you can get and it should be just fine for your Q5.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by js from nc
And drive 10 miles to get gas? Or get towed when I run out of gas because I've passed 50 stations but not one on the top tier list?
I assume you are just kidding but in case you aren't:

Using non-TT fuel on occasion isn't going to hurt anything. Minimal forethought and "planning" is required to give your Q5 what Audi recommends. Why not? "drive 10 miles"???...I could understand if you were on a bicycle...in a snowstorm...going up hill...at night...with a flat tire.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I assume you are just kidding but in case you aren't:

Using non-TT fuel on occasion isn't going to hurt anything. Minimal forethought and "planning" is required to give your Q5 what Audi recommends. Why not? "drive 10 miles"???...I could understand if you were on a bicycle...in a snowstorm...going up hill...at night...with a flat tire.
When I read things that say will supposedly benefit and others say cause little or no decrease in buildup it doesn't sound like something I really need to go out of my way to find. I have no issues paying for the correct octane but there aren't any stations around me that are top tier.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
Under "What if I can't find TOP TIER Gasoline" it suggests the use of "Audi fuel additive" (purchased at Audi dealer) if top tier fuel is not available or "If most of your driving is done over short distances, using Audi fuel additive every 3,000 miles will help keep your engine clean and performing at its best." 3k miles is pretty much my annual mileage.

I am curious about this as well. Does the additive make the fuel burn cleaner? And this leads to less carbon buildup?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
I also have the Top Tier gas supplemental brochure with my Q5 which was purchased in December.

My Audi dealer in Scottsdale (#2 in USA) recommends using BG 44K Power Enhancer to thwart carbon deposits and keep the fuel system clean. I dump in a can every 4-5 tankfulls. so far so good.
http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html
Old 01-12-2011, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by billypete
My Audi dealer in Scottsdale (#2 in USA) recommends using BG 44K Power Enhancer to thwart carbon deposits and keep the fuel system clean. I dump in a can every 4-5 tankfulls. so far so good.
http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html
Read the description of the product on the website, and it says it removes deposits. But since it is introduced in the fuel system, I'm not quite convinced whether it will work for our FSI engines where the fuel injection is in the cylinder and not before the valves. In other words, this additive will not reach the valves where those carbon deposits would collect.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821
Read the description of the product on the website, and it says it removes deposits. But since it is introduced in the fuel system, I'm not quite convinced whether it will work for our FSI engines where the fuel injection is in the cylinder and not before the valves. In other words, this additive will not reach the valves where those carbon deposits would collect.
Granted, thats the way with all additives dumped in the gas tank on FSI engines. Read further down the BG list to see the tools and products developed to ingest cleaners into the air plenum before the valves also.

Quick Reply: Where do you fuel up? / Minimize carbon build-up