Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Where do you fuel up? / Minimize carbon build-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billypete
Granted, thats the way with all additives dumped in the gas tank on FSI engines. Read further down the BG list to see the tools and products developed to ingest cleaners into the air plenum before the valves also.
Some of those products that do go through the intake path sound promising. Do you have any experience with any of these products/services by any chance? Or those your dealer would recommend?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821
Some of those products that do go through the intake path sound promising. Do you have any experience with any of these products/services by any chance? Or those your dealer would recommend?
No personal experience here, just what Im told.
click this link for a seeming endless amout of information regarding this topic:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-up-Megathread

cheers
Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I assume you are just kidding but in case you aren't:

Using non-TT fuel on occasion isn't going to hurt anything. Minimal forethought and "planning" is required to give your Q5 what Audi recommends. Why not? "drive 10 miles"???...I could understand if you were on a bicycle...in a snowstorm...going up hill...at night...with a flat tire.
No...I'm not kidding. I'm sorry, but I have a problem with the notion that for the majority of my fill ups, I need to drive 30 minutes round trip out of my way, passing dozens of gas stations in the process. And I travel out of town quite a bit and rarely cross paths with TT stations. So thanks for the condescending "advice."
Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every car has its own needs, and its own quirks. One of Audi's is that it calls for high octane, top tier gasoline. They don't hide this information before purchase in an effort to dupe and trap the consumer, in fact, they post it in many different places. While one can use non top tier gasoline, they do so at their own risk. Audi calls for top tier gasoline because it is those brands that consistently keep high levels of detergents and additives in their gasolines, whereas other brands generally do not. These additives and detergents are what help prevent carbon buildup, and help keep the engine performing at its best. Audi simply calls for the best gas for their engines in an effort to keep them performing at their peak for the longest amount of time possible. It's your car, and your money, so make the choice that's right for you, but getting angry at Audi for giving you advice on how to do what's best for your car is misguided, especially when this information was easily found before purchase and delivery of the vehicle.

By the way, I do just what you are angry, about and I drive out of my way to go to the shell nearest me. I pass six other gas stations on the way, but I do so happily knowing I'm doing what's best for my car.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use the top tier fuel.

This will not stop deposits on the valves...the fuel never hits the ports or valves - it has no effect.

I wonder why the nav system shows the cheap fuel stops and doesn't filter out those to show where the top tier fuel stops are. I find that awful strange.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it doesn't help with the carbon build up, why do you use top tier fuel?

Originally Posted by steveracer
I use the top tier fuel.

This will not stop deposits on the valves...the fuel never hits the ports or valves - it has no effect.

I wonder why the nav system shows the cheap fuel stops and doesn't filter out those to show where the top tier fuel stops are. I find that awful strange.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Epicurus88
If it doesn't help with the carbon build up, why do you use top tier fuel?

Audi recommend it. It is in the owners manual. I use the same logic as with the motor oil 502. I could use Sears Spectrum oil, but I use Mobil 1 because Audi recommend it and I know it works.

Detergents for the injectors perhaps?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by js from nc
So thanks for the condescending "advice."
Uh...I don't recall offering any advice but YW anyway.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 01-13-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by js from nc
I'm sorry, but I have a problem with the notion that for the majority of my fill ups, I need to drive 30 minutes round trip out of my way, passing dozens of gas stations in the process.
Maybe use the additive that billypete linked to a few posts down? 10-15 mins out of my way, no biggie. 30 mins - I think i'd get tired of that pretty quickly. Unless it's on some hilly, winding road maybe

FWIW, I didn't know of the top tier gas recommendation until I read the manual. Luckily have some Shell stations near work and home.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gat821
Maybe use the additive that billypete linked to a few posts down? 10-15 mins out of my way, no biggie. 30 mins - I think i'd get tired of that pretty quickly. Unless it's on some hilly, winding road maybe

FWIW, I didn't know of the top tier gas recommendation until I read the manual. Luckily have some Shell stations near work and home.
I agree; using an additive makes the most sense at this point given the scarcity of TTs in my region. For the record, I never received any type of "supplemental brochure" as mentioned in other posts. Nor did I ask to borrow the manual prior to purchase, let alone read through several hundred pages before stumbling onto the topic. And most assuredly, no one at my dealership indicated there would be a problem with carbon buildup that would impact performance and be be expensive to correct.