Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Whining/Wailing Noise + Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining/Wailing Noise + Shifting Issue

I bought a new 2011 Q5 3.2 in the U.S. I have almost exactly 5,000 miles on it. Absolutely not problems until recently when I started noticing 3 issues. I'm hoping someone can clue me in:

1. At low speeds (I'm guessing b/w 1-2 gear) the Q5 has started making a very noticeable whining noise (reminds me of my old Honda accord when I put it in reverse). I think it's more noticeable when I take my foot of the break as the vehicle is slowing to stop, although I notice it when putting my foot on the gas at low speeds (say, in a parking garage). I also can tell no difference when I use the tiptronic. I mentioned it almost off-hand to the tech at my 5k service and he dismissed it as being normal. He told me "some people hear it, some don't". I just can't believe this is normal. My has stated bitching about it more and more so I know it's not in my head. I know very little about cars, but I've read that it may be the rear differential. Anyone else have this issue?

2. The vehicle is also making a kind of howling noise when I give it gas at low speeds. At first, I thought that maybe this was kind of that "hollow" exhaust sound that infinity's make, but it's not the same and between this and the whining, it's getting annoying. Unlike the whining, I can push my way past the howling noise (40+ mph) by giving it gas, but that's not easy in city driving. I do not notice the howling noise (yet) at higher speeds on the highway. Anyone else have this issue and have suggestions?

3. Sometimes it takes a LOT of gas to get the Q5 to shift from 1st to 2nd gear (and even from 2nd to 3rd sometimes) -- 3.5k - 4k RPM's! It's so bad that at times I reflexively look down to make sure that I'm not in tiptronic mode and have forgotten to manually shift into 2nd. It's almost a dragging sensation. I've always driven a manual (my last being a 2006 A4 2.0T), so this has obviously never been an issue. Anyone else have this issue and have suggestions?

I wanted to see if anyone else is having these issues with their Q5 before I go to the dealership and start pressing the issue. Any advice/info would be most appreciated.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For 1 and 2, I hear something like what you are describing- almost like a whining noise. However, while noticing it, it hasn't bothered me much.

For 3, I find that even with moderate gas it doesn't shift early. Again, I don't mind - its probably because I've taught the transmission that I have a lead foot. Also note that the transmission definitely holds gears longer when it detects even a slight uphill.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Per your Howling....

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2791456

Dave
Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gronk
For 1 and 2, I hear something like what you are describing- almost like a whining noise. However, while noticing it, it hasn't bothered me much.

For 3, I find that even with moderate gas it doesn't shift early. Again, I don't mind - its probably because I've taught the transmission that I have a lead foot. Also note that the transmission definitely holds gears longer when it detects even a slight uphill.
Thanks for the reply. Here's an update.

Whining/Howling
I just got my Q5 back yesterday. As I suspected, they are claiming that there's nothing they can do about the whining/howling noise. They certainly didn't offer to replace my rear-differential as some have suggested. I guess I'm just going to have to live with the noise.

Shifting Issues
In terms of the shifting, I was not surprised to find that there's an AUDI BULLETIN out for it. The problem was very noticeable. Audi will not call you and ask you to bring the car in, they will only fix if you bring it to their attention. Q5 is shifting much better now from 1st to 2nd (around 3,000RPM instead of 4,000) and doesn't feel like it's dragging.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good to know...as i've had mine is twice for the shifting issues ages ago and mentioned it during other visits with no fix or even confirmation from them. this time i will mention it again.

As far as the rear diff.....I could not even hear my wife in the back seat....now i can. a good thing? debatable.
The symptoms I described and their specific presentation are exact, if your noise is the way mine WAS...it's likely your rear diff is on it's way out.

good luck
Dave

Originally Posted by PMC2726
Shifting Issues
In terms of the shifting, I was not surprised to find that there's an AUDI BULLETIN out for it. The problem was very noticeable. Audi will not call you and ask you to bring the car in, they will only fix if you bring it to their attention. Q5 is shifting much better now from 1st to 2nd (around 3,000RPM instead of 4,000) and doesn't feel like it's dragging.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PMC2726
Thanks for the reply. Here's an update.

Shifting Issues
Can you post the information on the bulletin provided in your service invoice?

Thanks!