Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Whistle coming from right passenger window/mirror/door?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whistle coming from right passenger window/mirror/door?

I noticed it after the car sat while we were on vacation for 2 weeks. It seems to whistle fairly loud at around 50+ MPH. I can't tell where it's coming from, but I think the mirror or door/window on the passenger side. I have rolled the window down and still hear it outside the car. Thoughts? Of course Audi couldn't "reproduce the customer's complaint". It's not constant, so it doesn't surprise me...could it be a seal?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
I noticed it after the car sat while we were on vacation for 2 weeks. It seems to whistle fairly loud at around 50+ MPH. I can't tell where it's coming from, but I think the mirror or door/window on the passenger side. I have rolled the window down and still hear it outside the car. Thoughts? Of course Audi couldn't "reproduce the customer's complaint". It's not constant, so it doesn't surprise me...could it be a seal?
when you driving 50+ put the car into neutral and see if the whine still happens. if it does, it will be your wheel bearings
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I experienced the exact same thing last weekend. While driving on the highway the high pitched whistle was coming from somewhere around the passenger side window and putting the window up and down did not help. I drove the Q around town all week and when I hit the highway on Saturday it wasn't there. Not sure what it was but as general observation after owning my Q for 5000 kilometers, there seems to be a a host of intermittent rattles and other noises in this car. Hopefully it all settles down after more miles, but this vehicle has more noises than the Mercedes, and even a handful of Hondas I have owned.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Niteshade
I experienced the exact same thing last weekend. While driving on the highway the high pitched whistle was coming from somewhere around the passenger side window and putting the window up and down did not help. I drove the Q around town all week and when I hit the highway on Saturday it wasn't there. Not sure what it was but as general observation after owning my Q for 5000 kilometers, there seems to be a a host of intermittent rattles and other noises in this car. Hopefully it all settles down after more miles, but this vehicle has more noises than the Mercedes, and even a handful of Hondas I have owned.
Mine has been silent until now and I have almost 12K miles. Whatever it is, is annoying as hell, so they will have to figure it out.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Niteshade
+1 to this... i've owned a toyota and a lexus - and both were virtually silent. no noises in the cabin whatsoever. i'm not sure if that set some sort of unrealistic standard, or what - because now i notice EVERY little noise/rattle on my Q5. and, there are a lot of them (sunroof when i hit bigger bumps, back seat, etc.). i'm sure i will get used to all of them over time, but for now, they are all extremely annoying - especially the sunroof, which i have already had lubricated once.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I get it, as well. I just noticed it recently. It seems to depend on the direction of the wind (headwind, tailwind or crosswind). I'm going to ask about it when I have it in for its 20k service.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MRS ADAMS, you will need to drive about 12mph and pop the car into neutral. If you still hear the whining sound. it will be your bearings. I had my bearings replaced at 5k.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2012 Premimu Plus 3.2 that came with a definite whistle from the passenger side mirror. Complained to Audi Mirimar at my 5K check up here in San Diego and they admitted it was a common problem they were seeing on the 2012's and they prompty replaced my drivers side mirror assembly (morons!). They then special ordered the passenger side mirror and replaced it two weeks later and the whistle is gone. I believe it has something to do with the rotating mirror assemblies.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tea Anyone?

I have noted the same problem coming from mainly the driver's side window. Sounds like a tea kettle and is quite loud. It seems to have come up with the colder temperature. I have 9k on my Q5 and it just started. I figured out it comes from the seam between the mirror and the attachment to the a pillar (the mirror hinge) on the top and front edge. If I cover it with my finger, sound goes away, just annoying to drive that way when it's 50 degrees outside....Called dealer and they are fixing it next week. Offered me a loaner as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all,

I had the same whistle noise issue on the driver's side window when driving at freeway speeds around 65 mph. Apparently, there is a TSB out for this issue (TSB2035673/1), which was applied for my Q5.

Basically, I was told that the space between the turn signal in the side view mirror and the actual mirror itself was causing the wind noise, as air flow at high speeds would get into this space and cause the whistle noise.

So Audi basically filled this space with "insulation" (a felt strip and foam), per the TSB.

After the fix, I test drove my Q5 on the LA Freeway where the whistle noise most often occurs, and I noticed that the fix worked! I'm still skeptical of what I think is a "band-aid" solution, so we will see how long this solution lasts.

Hope this helps!