Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Why did you choose the Q5 over the X3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why did you choose the Q5 over the X3?

My wife and I are trying to decide between the Q5 and the new BMW X3 to replace our 2001 MDX. For those who seriously considered the 2011X3, I'd like to hear your thoughts on why you chose the Q5. What were the pros and cons of both.

BTW, I posted the opposite question on a BMW forum and I got a few replies. One comment was especially interesting. It claimed that you couldn't customize the Q5 and that you were suck with the selection that was on the lot. Another person said that you could put in a customized order, but it would take 3-4 months for delivery. Are either of these concerns valid?

Thanks in advance,

Cliff
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I stared the process by wanting to buy the X3 and wound up with a Q5, which I am very happy with, so here are some of my reasons, but first, to address the "customizing" question.

Q5s certainly were/are in short supply, so if you want to customize one, you'll have to wait the 3 months for a factory order. At the time I was looking back in May, I think BMW was quoting 6 weeks or so, so yes, you could get a customized X3 in less time that a Q5.

1 - The overall interior of the Q5 was more appealing to me. Somehow, I didn't feel that the interior of the X3 was up to it's price range. An example is that I had to ask whether the leather interior was really leather.

2 - Comfort, in particular, I found the passenger seat very uncomfortable - so much so that I don't think I could sit there for any length of time. I also seem to remember that the rear seat wasn't quite a comfortable as the Q's, not that it is great.

3 - Feature packages. To get the same features that I have on my Premium + Q5, I would have had to buy packages that included things I didn't want. Check out what packages you have to buy to just get the HomeLink, or the power tailgate. I think Audi's packaging is much more inclusive and I was able to get much more of what I wanted without paying for other stuff I didn't need. Audi even includes the roof rack cross members, which I believe were extra on the X3. They have already come in very handy on a few occasions.

4 - Fuel economy on 2.0 Q5 was much better than even the smaller V6 X3.

5 - Lastly, taking into consideration item 3 above, the price of the Q5 was significantly less that the X3.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just ordered a Q5 2.0T and we considered an X3 as well. Both cars are really nice, but they have some pretty noticeable differences if you drive them back to back. The Q5 is quieter, smoother riding and has a higher quality interior. The X3 really connects you with the road. The inline six used in the X3 is a fantastic engine. It feels more refined than the 2.0T and makes a terrific sound, although when it comes to power I don't think there is much difference.

In the SF bay area, the situation for purchasing either car is the same: they are sold out everywhere and must be ordered from the factory. Both manufacturers let you customize the car however you want and wait times are around 3 months.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 AM
PEF
Audiworld Junior Member

I too recently purchased a Q5. I had switched from BMWs to Audis 3 years ago because the BMW service departments in the South S.F. Bay Area are horrendous (Stevens Creek and Mountain View specifically).

That being said I did check out the X3 before purchasing... and these were my reasons for choosing the Q5:

1) Interior - I really like the BMW interiors, but I felt the Q5 was a bit nicer. I do like the BMW seats better.

2) Exterior - I think the Q5 looks more aggressive and is more attractive to me. Especially the headlights.

3) Service - as mentioned above

4) MPG - The 2.0T is the perfect compromise between performance and MPG.

5) Price - for the same features the Audi was less expensive

6) Exclusivity - There are very few Q5s in my area but tons of X3s.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We concur with statements 4, 5 & 6 above....

and I'll add one...
the run flat tires on the BMW are a NEGATIVE, not a positive.... try to find a replacement

While we were really looking at the X5 sport more than the X3.... the comparisons are similar in that the wife (who's car it is) liked the looks of the Q and couldn't justify the price difference to either the X3 or X5...

AND, to top it off, DFW AUDI had one on the lot that would have been what we would have ordered !!! AND we got it for 4k under list without waiting... so we are happy
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Advantage Audi:
1. Much more comfortable seats
2. Conventional tires vs. runflats on BMW (expensive, harsh ride)
3. Value when configured similarly

Also, If I'm remembering correctly, the seatbelt height is not adjustable on the BMW. Probably not a big deal for most, but that really bothered my wife.

Advantage BMW:
1. Smooooth and potent inline six; optional turbo is really quick
2. Shorter lead time
3. Exterior color selection
Old 07-29-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post!
And answers is not that different from the same post on Bimmerfest - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=556734

Very good answer from one of the users:
I just bought a 35i after seriously considering and extensively comparing both cars. Both are excellent and you can’t go wrong with either.

Interior: As others have said the Audi’s is nicer and I don’t think it’s close. The Audi’s materials are richer, better looking and the switch gear have a nicer feel. However, the BMW is no slouch and for the most part this wasn’t a big factor for me. The X3 does have a couple of cheap touches which were a little bothersome, especially the rather ugly plastic spacers around the LCD screen if you don’t buy the NAV. Audi’s perforated sunscreen shade is a big miss since I don’t see how it can effectively block the sun.

Handling/ride: These aren’t sport sedans so by handling I mean what you’d experience in normal to somewhat spirited driving not all out 10/10 maneuvers. If the latter is what you want, try another car class. The X3 feels lighter (it isn’t), and a little more nimble, but, in base form, is a little soft and floaty for my tastes and doesn’t control small chassis movements as well as I’d like. The Q5 is definitely stiffer, and ( flame suit on) exhibits better chassis control. However on really bad roads it’s likely to be less pleasant than a base X3. I added the DHP package to my X3 because it provided better chassis control with only a small penalty in ride. I never considered or tried the adjustable Q5 suspension because it’s very expensive and impossible to find. The X3 comes only with run-flats, and no spare – almost a deal breaker for me. The Q5 doesn’t have run-flats and comes with a spare, albeit a compact spare.

Engine: The biggest difference between the two. In my mind the base engines are almost a wash. The N52 in the X3 is certainly smoother, and sounds better, but the 2.0T in the Q5 isn’t bad and it has more low end grunt, and probably get a little better mileage. However, at the moment Audi doesn’t offer anything comparable in the Q5 to BMW’s N55 twin scroll turbo - a very important factor for me.

Price: The MSRP of the Audi, with comparable equipment, is significantly lower, so if you’re going to purchase it will be less expensive. However, if you’re going to lease the much higher residual values on the BMW more than compensates for the MSRP disadvantage making it cheaper.

Misc: At this point in time the Audi is a little better sorted out and refined, not surprising since it’s in its 3rd model year and the BMW is new. For example the X3 has a little more wind noise at speed (i.e. >65mph), not that it’s annoying, and more road noise (run-flats?). Also, I find off/on throttle actions can sometimes be a little lurchy in the BMW, and I didn’t notice that in the Audi.

In the end I chose the X3 for 3 reasons: 1) the N55 twin scroll turbo, 2) better handling/ride compromise with the DHP, and 3) price since I leased.

What you choose will probably depend on how you value the different characteristics, but both are fine cars and I don’t think either is a bad choice.

Marty
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I did not look at the X3 because I think Quattro is better than the X drive of BMW. I also am a fan of Audi interiors.

I was turned off by the previous X3 as they road like a truck - the suspension of them was way too harsh but the new ones have a much better ride per the reviews.

The Q5 was what my wife wanted after she got to see a early vehicle when Audi came by to train the local dealer employees.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

When I priced out a comparably equipped X3 to the Q5, I found them to be about even when adding the cost of 4 year 50k included maintenance (BMW) to the Audi).

Both were nice vehicles but in the end she made the decision, happy wife = happy life.

And don't forget, 5 is a higher number than 3 which makes it better.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Even though I bought in 2010, I did anticipate the all new 2011 X3 and was willing to wait it out... but didn't.

I think many of the posters here wrote it up fairly accurately.

If there were any take away from this, it would be that
- from a pricing point, the X3 has favorable leasing, whereas the Q5 gives you more bang for your $$$ overall if you were to purchase.
- The Q5 doesn't have the 3.0T trim that can compete to the the X3 xDrive 35i. So if you want performance, I am not sure how the Q5 could be an option.
- The other way around, the Q5 2.0T has a leg up on the X3 xDrive 28i if we are talking about the base models.

Last edited by snakebite; 07-29-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose the Q5 over the X3?