Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Why do BMW drivers give the Q5 a nod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why do BMW drivers give the Q5 a nod?

Mrs. elevens mentioned that BMW drivers tend to give her "the nod" in the Q5. And she's right. I've noticed it too.

Psychoanalyze, please. Respect? Envy? Comradeship? The polite thing to do when caught gawking? We live in a pretty small town with very few Q5's and only one Deep Sea Blue so it's a bit of a aberration perhaps.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of things here, I have to say first that a BMW driver in most cases knows cars, that being said the Q5 is a gorgeous automobile which gets a fair amount of attention from even the un-initiated. My next question however concerns "Mrs elevens", know what I mean, perhaps it has nothing to do with the "Q"
Old 06-23-2010, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And because the X3 is old and outdated, so until the new X3 comes out, they have nothing as good in the class. But I bet the new X3 is a sweet ride. Not nearly as stunning looking (I just don't like the looks of their SUV's) but I'm sure it will be all BMW and amazing to drive.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzLA
And because the X3 is old and outdated, so until the new X3 comes out, they have nothing as good in the class. But I bet the new X3 is a sweet ride. Not nearly as stunning looking (I just don't like the looks of their SUV's) but I'm sure it will be all BMW and amazing to drive.
Fitz,

Since you were BMW owner, how do you compare the "driving experience" between the BMW and Audi?

Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Fitz,

Since you were BMW owner, how do you compare the "driving experience" between the BMW and Audi?

Bob
I drive BMW and Q5 is my wife's car. Let's just say that BMW offers a more engaging driving experience, while Audi is more relaxed, especially with the steering feedback.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
I drive BMW and Q5 is my wife's car. Let's just say that BMW offers a more engaging driving experience, while Audi is more relaxed, especially with the steering feedback.
+1!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toes
A couple of things here, I have to say first that a BMW driver in most cases knows cars, that being said the Q5 is a gorgeous automobile which gets a fair amount of attention from even the un-initiated. My next question however concerns "Mrs elevens", know what I mean, perhaps it has nothing to do with the "Q"
Mrs elevens must look like Angelina Jolie.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Mrs. elevens mentioned that BMW drivers tend to give her "the nod" in the Q5. And she's right. I've noticed it too.

Psychoanalyze, please. Respect? Envy? Comradeship? The polite thing to do when caught gawking? We live in a pretty small town with very few Q5's and only one Deep Sea Blue so it's a bit of a aberration perhaps.
Because we recognize when a company makes a better product.The Q5 is head and ahoulders above the X3.It is better looking,has more features standard,rides better and is a better value.Granted the X3 is an older design,but I have not been very impressed with any of BMW,s SUV,s.
I presently own a BMW 550I and love it.It is the best car I have owned to date.The Q5 is a SUV so I didn,t expect it to outperform or outhandle the 550,but the Q definitly looks and feels like it is in the 5 series class rather than the 3 series.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think its a nod of approval.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've driven a few BMW's and a handful of Audi's

BMW -
745i, 750li, 335i, 550i sport, 135i cabrio.

Audi -
A4 (2007 & 2009) S5, Q5

Those are just a few but the way i see it, the Audi's always feel heavier. They feel very front heavy but corner well due to having an excellent AWD system but it feels oh so controlled. The BMW's are more "fun", fast and light ready to kick ou the rear and let you play. There is as mentioned the steering is more direct. The audi's steerings feel heavy as well. They're both great cars dont get me wrong but you buy a BMW because of performance. You buy a mercedes for luxury. you buy an audi for both.

Quick Reply: Why do BMW drivers give the Q5 a nod?