Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Why does 2.0T have more demand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtberman
This question could also be asked "Why does the 3.2 have less demand?"

Same reasons as above: The 3.2 costs more to buy and drive but provides little or no performance advantage. It may be slightly faster in a straight line at sea level, but that's it. Any straight-line performance advantage in the 3.2, whether real or perceived, isn't worth it to most buyers.

Especially at higher altitudes and on roads that bend, the 2.0T will generally out-run the 3.2 and return better mileage doing it.

One advantage of the 3.2 is the options and trim choices: I would have loved to have been able to spec the matte finish wood trim on my 2.0T as a regular order option.
before the 2.0t showed up, the 3.2's had no issue selling and they were the same price as the current 2.0t.

you have to be on really high altitudes to notice a difference and also factor in air density. not to mention, turbos suck on roads that bend. they lag where as an n/a has instant throttle response.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
not to mention, turbos suck on roads that bend. they lag where as an n/a has instant throttle response.
Are you talking turbos in general or the Audi/VW 2.0T ? I think I am missing something because our 2.0T is tuned/designed for low end torque (which beats the 3.2).

I've honestly never experienced turbo lag in my A3 because the torque is right there where you need it most during spirited driving. The only area the 3.2 would have an advantage is when both engines are approaching their upper rev limits. And good luck keeping the engine revs up when trying to go fast through lots of twistys. If there is an advantage for the 3.2 on bendy roads, it would probably be attributable to the transmission only, depending on which transmission downshifts more aggressively. When I put my A3's DSG transmission in Sport mode, I guarantee you that turbo lag does not exist.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 2.0Ts I've driven definitely lagged. Not much, but it was there. You might have to drive a 3.2 before you can even notice the lag of the 2.0. Audi did a fine job there to nearly eliminate turbo lag.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to answer the op's question...
because it's a better engine ?

having had turbo cars (gas and diesel) since the early 80's...
I can tell you about turbo lag in some older cars with LARGE turbos that need a lot of HP before they were boiling... but once they did - hang on !

off point but as an example of taking hp to get going - the new 662 HP mustang needs 150hp to turn the supercharger !

the 2.0 does not have any that would come into play unless you are in full blown race mode.... in normal and even spirited driving the turbo boost repsons well...

and the turbo is used to boost hp above what a comparably sized engine would get.
so it's really not turbo lag.... it's turbo BOOST !

u know that half full or half empty viewpoint difference ? ! ?

and the only thing I notice is how strong it is across the rpm spread...
but I'm a novice at this driving thing and fail to understand the joy some get out of tearing down others...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 07-08-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's my 2 cents. We opted for the 2.0T for the following reasons.

1) Advertised fuel economy. We now have 5400 miles on our Q and we consistantly get 29 to 31 highway MPG on the not so flat byways of the Hudson Valley. ( according to DIS which I know is overly optimistic with either engine)

2) Price vs performance

3) Future tuneability through software. ( I'm sure this reason was not even a consideration for more than 99% of buyers but is was for me)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better fuel economy, more torque, less expensive, 8-speed transmission.

My local dealer's lot is overflowing with 3.2s that they can't sell. If you want a 2.0T you have to order it. A 3.2 on the lot, they were willing to come down to invoice. A 2.0T, it was like pulling teeth just to get $750 off.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obvious tuning advantage aside. It's versatile, offers enough space for the regular folks, easier on the gas bill etc. that's why it's flying off the shelves. I routinely get 32MPG indicated on the highway. The MPG suffers significantly on local driving though. Our 8 speed is buttery smooth, most of the time.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flying off the shelves

Don't know what part of the country most of these 2.0T are flying off the shelves. But here in the NY,NJ, Conn Tri-state area, there are 212 2.0T Q5's and 136 3.2 Q5's. That's roughly 60% more 2.0T. Dealers are obviously getting top dollar on the 2.0T and creating a perceived supply shortage.

http://www.tristateaudidealers.com/a...=Q5&year=2012&
Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are probably correct... they probably DO have more 2.0's on the ground...

but not for the reason you are inferring

those silly dealers and Audi are probably looking at their sales numbers and providing what they know will sell ...
Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 54k 2.0T

One of those Q5 2.0T MSRP's for 54K, must come with its own chauffeur. Lol

Quick Reply: Why does 2.0T have more demand?