Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Why does 2.0T have more demand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren Yu
Im just wondering because I just purchased a 3.2 because the dealer didn't have any 2.0T and is not willing to negociate AT ALL with the 2.0T
Cheaper in price and saves gas.
More torque than the 3.2

But I would always go with a bigger engine...
Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is one of them deja vu threads.

The 3.2 feels like a luxury vehicle and is substantially more powerful than the 2.0T...but it costs a bit more to buy and operate.

The 2.0T is an economy engine that makes the Q5 rattle and vibrate like a cheapo Kia. The 2.0 is used in cheap sub-$20K VWs. It also sucks ***** when you're at speed and wanting to pass on the highway, or merging into fast-moving traffic.

People will debate with you the many "reasons" they chose a 2.0 instead of a 3.2, but at the end of the day the 3.2 in the Q5 makes for a fine vehicle.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by PeerBlock
This is one of them deja vu threads.

The 3.2 feels like a luxury vehicle and is substantially more powerful than the 2.0T...but it costs a bit more to buy and operate.

The 2.0T is an economy engine that makes the Q5 rattle and vibrate like a cheapo Kia. The 2.0 is used in cheap sub-$20K VWs. It also sucks ***** when you're at speed and wanting to pass on the highway, or merging into fast-moving traffic.

People will debate with you the many "reasons" they chose a 2.0 instead of a 3.2, but at the end of the day the 3.2 in the Q5 makes for a fine vehicle.
Judging from the 3.2 leftovers with "deals" and shortage of 2.0T's and no room for negotiating, this is obviously a minority opinion. There is an a$$ for every seat. My 2.0T Q5 is smoother than any V6 I have had in the past. To say the 2.0T rattles and vibrates like a cheapo Kia is giving a Kia too much credit and leads me to believe that you never actually drove the 2.0T.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Judging from the 3.2 leftovers with "deals" and shortage of 2.0T's and no room for negotiating, this is obviously a minority opinion. There is an a$$ for every seat. My 2.0T Q5 is smoother than any V6 I have had in the past. To say the 2.0T rattles and vibrates like a cheapo Kia is giving a Kia too much credit and leads me to believe that you never actually drove the 2.0T.
LOL @ someone claiming the 2.0T is smoother than a 3.2, when the 3.2 is arguably among Audi's smoothest engines. Don't kid yourself.

It has already been established that most people opt for the 2.0T because it's a lot cheaper to the tune of $10K or so when comparably equipped, plus it has an edge in fuel economy. These are the same kind of reasons people would buy a Kia, btw...cheaper, better fuel economy, etc.

Are you some kind of repository for dealer stats? Do you know how many 3.2 Q5s were sold vs 2.0T and how many of each are unsold? I don't think so, unless you do have access to the hard figures why even mention it?

It's no secret more people opt for the 2.0T because you're getting transitional shoppers who decided to pay a little more to get a 2.0T Q5 instead of a Kia, Toyota or Honda. The people buying the 3.2 appreciate a finer vehicle with a smoother driving experience, plus substantially more power.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:24 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

...The people buying the 3.2 appreciate a finer vehicle with a smoother driving experience, plus substantially more power.
I suppose - but that's when it's not in the shop getting de-carboned :-). I drove both before buying and liked the 2.0T (+ 8 spd tranny) experience better - and in any case did some homework and saw too many people complaining about carbon build up on the V6. We also priced both when we bought our '12 and the price difference for similarly equipped was around 1500-2000 here in Canada last fall so it really wasn't a consideration for us - if we'd liked the V6 better we would have gone for it.

my .02 cents, ymmv, etc.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The people buying the 3.2 appreciate a finer vehicle with a smoother driving experience, plus substantially more power.
Yeah, I don't think so. I drove both, and I purchased the 2.0 because I liked the power delivery better(the lower end torque), that plus I always buy turbo over normally aspirated cars if ther's an option. But as for "substantially" more power- couldn't be further from the truth.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dngrmse
Yeah, I don't think so. I drove both, and I purchased the 2.0 because I liked the power delivery better(the lower end torque), that plus I always buy turbo over normally aspirated cars if ther's an option. But as for "substantially" more power- couldn't be further from the truth.
Geez here we go again. I've owned both, the 3.2 is much faster especially at highway speeds. coupled with no throttle lag its much more of a drivers car.

the 2.0t is more of a sacrifice what you don't use everyday and be happy.

the 2.0t sounds like crap, especially compared to the 3.2 and the 3.2 is incredibly smooth, especially for a v6. the 2.0 still feels like a 4 banger at the end of the day.

this is all subjective and from what i've noticed. you cannot tell the 2.0 guys they are wrong because they defend the 2.0 till they die. At the end of the day, no one wants to spend 40 grand on a car and be told they bought an inferior model. its an ego thing and i've seen it with all makes and models with their respective engine choices. Most noticeably BMW 328 vs 335 vs M3

The people who buy the 3.2's now buy it cause they enjoy it. there was a time when the 3.2 was the only engine and no one every complained (in the US market) I loved my 3.2 can't wait to get rid of my over shifting 2.0t
Old 08-25-2012, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

LOL @ someone claiming the 2.0T is smoother than a 3.2, when the 3.2 is arguably among Audi's smoothest engines. Don't kid yourself.

It has already been established that most people opt for the 2.0T because it's a lot cheaper to the tune of $10K or so when comparably equipped, plus it has an edge in fuel economy. These are the same kind of reasons people would buy a Kia, btw...cheaper, better fuel economy, etc.

Are you some kind of repository for dealer stats? Do you know how many 3.2 Q5s were sold vs 2.0T and how many of each are unsold? I don't think so, unless you do have access to the hard figures why even mention it?

It's no secret more people opt for the 2.0T because you're getting transitional shoppers who decided to pay a little more to get a 2.0T Q5 instead of a Kia, Toyota or Honda. The people buying the 3.2 appreciate a finer vehicle with a smoother driving experience, plus substantially more power.
Not sure if you can't read or you just crave attention. Maybe both.
No one ever said the 2.0t is smoother than 3.2
Cheaper and value are not mutually exclusive.
Buying experiences posted over and over 3.2 deals 2.0t not so much.
Unless the 3.2 is at or near full boil it absolutely has less power.

I also prefer the 2.0t newer higher pressure return less fuel injection and the 2.0t cast iron block versus 3.2 aluminum block with no liner construction. I hope the carbon plugged secondary air ports on the 3.2 is a rare event but I didn't want to risk it.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The dealership here has several of each and the price for the 3.2 is about 5 grand more. I can see why the 2.0T is more popular but I think I'll wait for the 2013 Q5 3.0T.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yeps i agree a little better on the foot gets you there

want to chane the topic.
i need some spares for my q5 ie do we get aftermarket spare parts for the q5

Quick Reply: Why does 2.0T have more demand?