Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Why Q5 over BMW X3

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everything in the thread. We've been BMW loyalists a long time, and my next car might still be a BMW, but my wife's will almost certainly be a 2.0 Q5.

I believe that the BMW might handle a little better, and the BMW turbo engine is obviously the strongest, but you've got significant downsides in the interior (no nicer than it was on cars 20 years ago), the exterior (doesn't look nearly as good), and the pricing.

In the Q5, I can get excellent performance (but not x35i performance) with a way nicer interior, better looking exterior, and for a better price. I'll save my money for the M3 or M5.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reisen
I agree with everything in the thread. We've been BMW loyalists a long time, and my next car might still be a BMW, but my wife's will almost certainly be a 2.0 Q5.

I believe that the BMW might handle a little better, and the BMW turbo engine is obviously the strongest, but you've got significant downsides in the interior (no nicer than it was on cars 20 years ago), the exterior (doesn't look nearly as good), and the pricing.

In the Q5, I can get excellent performance (but not x35i performance) with a way nicer interior, better looking exterior, and for a better price. I'll save my money for the M3 or M5.
pretty good summaries of all post.
before pay $$$ for M5 try 550
Old 04-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

X3 just misses the mark. Sure it drives okay, but as others have said - t he interior is just bland and the extra cost leather seats look like plastic. Worse yet, the passenger seat is very uncomfortable. The salesman took me for a one mile ride to see a color in another light and that was enough to convince me just how uncomfortable it is.

Then, there is the convenience package you have to buy just to get HomeLink garage door openers and power tailgate Ridiculous on a $40,000 + car.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Stillgoing
X3 just misses the mark. Sure it drives okay, but as others have said - t he interior is just bland and the extra cost leather seats look like plastic. Worse yet, the passenger seat is very uncomfortable. The salesman took me for a one mile ride to see a color in another light and that was enough to convince me just how uncomfortable it is.

Then, there is the convenience package you have to buy just to get HomeLink garage door openers and power tailgate Ridiculous on a $40,000 + car.
Some options on European car is shocking for new-timers:
in 16K Accord and 22K Maxima and $42K BMW or Audi
- split foll down rear seat was standard options for Accord and Maxima - $500 on BMW,
-car alarm - came with Maxima-$400 on BMW
-floor mats - free on both cars - $100 ( for a $42K car - WTF?) etc.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
Some options on European car is shocking for new-timers:
in 16K Accord and 22K Maxima and $42K BMW or Audi
- split foll down rear seat was standard options for Accord and Maxima - $500 on BMW,
-car alarm - came with Maxima-$400 on BMW
-floor mats - free on both cars - $100 ( for a $42K car - WTF?) etc.
I demand power windows be optional as well!!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GaryZ
I demand power windows be optional as well!!

At least you have packages in the states, everything is an option in Germany. I was very surprised when I went to look for a New Q5 here, when I had priced out everything in the states before I decided to stay in Europe longer.

When I was looking for a new car in the states the Q5 wasn't my first choice. But when I decided to stay in Europe for a few more years, I went straight to Audi.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

I drove both yesterday: the 2.0T vs. the xDrive35i. It is not even close! The new X3 is an improvement over the previous X3, to be sure, but it is not in the same league with the Q5. The X3 is surprisingly noisy and the handling was lackluster by comparison. I love my 328ci, but I would not buy the X3. Sorry, BMW.

In addition, I find the Q5 a much more handsome vehicle inside and out. It is hard to believe the Q5 and the X3 are even in the same class.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Like others the BMW interior just doesn't measure up. To be honest, I've owned 3 VWs and I think their interiors are nicer than BMW. No style (sea of black buttons) and just average materials. I drove an X3 (granted it was last generation), I was not impressed at all. The Q5 felt perfect as soon as I got in it. I know the new X3 is supposed to be a lot better than the last generation, but until they start putting some money and design into their interiors, they don't make my short list of vehicles to consider.

Plus they are really expensive and felt smaller inside as well.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
I was all set to order a new X3 when the dealer I was working with upset me to the point I thought we should take another look at the Q5. I am so glad we did because I am strongly leaning towards the Q5 now. I have never owned a BMW or an Audi and would love to hear thoughts on either and what made you choose this car over others.
I remember reading your posts in the X3 forums on bimmerposts!! I was also cross shopping between the X3 and Q5
Old 05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by c-dub
I remember reading your posts in the X3 forums on bimmerposts!! I was also cross shopping between the X3 and Q5
Did you order the Q5? What did you get? I test drove a 28i again today and boy, it is a hard decision. I don't know why I can't decide!

Quick Reply: Why Q5 over BMW X3