Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Why Q5 over BMW X3

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a tough choice. I have been going through a similar debate.

I had been a die hard Audi fan owning a few a4s in the past.
Then for a change, I bought a 3 series and I think it's just a better handling car. The steering just feels better. I agree with other posters the BMW is sportier . I think it also has fresher technology with apps and it's 4th generation of idrive. The Audi probably has the better upgraded stereo.

Here's what I considered:
I think the Q5 looks very good, maybe better than the x3 but the engine choices stink compared to the x3.
The 3.2 motor is not bad but I think it will be phased out. The 3.2 also only comes with the older tech 6 spd automatic. The 2.0 is a great motor but to me it feels anemic in the (heavier than A4) Q5. Now, if Audi tuned it to 240-250 hp then we'd have something.
BMW 's 28i has 240 hp and 35i has 300 hp. The 35i gets better mileage. Later in 2011 (probably a 2012 model) the 28i will get the new 240 hp 4 cylinder turbo and get even better mileage. While I wish BMW offered the manual transmission, both models in the US have the newer 8 spd automatic.

Option and package wise the Audi is not so good in the USA. The s line package is way over priced unless
you want to pay $3K for a purely cosmetic package. You can't even get sport seats on the q5 in the US.

With the BMW sport activity package, at least you get the sport seats and they're worth it.
As for the M- sport package it's like Audi's S line but you do get sport seats and a sports suspension.
Further, you can get adaptive xenons on both BMW models vs. the Audi only offers the adaptive xenons
on the prestige packaged 3.2.

Next, service: at least in my area, the BMW dealer provides a better experience. BMW's iinclusive maintenance program is great. Yes, you are paying for it, but if anything wears out or breaks, BMW replaces it during the full warranty period.

As for the Runflats, this one is debatable. Good because you can drive to safety, bad because there is no spare. Punctures in the tread are generally repairable.The best idea would be run flats and a spare.

The BMW is the newer model of the two so it will not see a refresh for probably 3 years. The q5 could see a refresh in 2012.

Finally, the BMW is more able to be personalized and it's made locally in South Carolina so you will not be waiting months if you order it. Again, just my 2 cents.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
Did you order the Q5? What did you get? I test drove a 28i again today and boy, it is a hard decision. I don't know why I can't decide!
sorry to dissapoint you, but i ended up with a CPO X5. i remember you calling it a soccer mom car lol!

will eventually replace the other car in the household with a Q5 probably
Old 05-04-2011, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by c-dub
sorry to dissapoint you, but i ended up with a CPO X5. i remember you calling it a soccer mom car lol!

will eventually replace the other car in the household with a Q5 probably
Ha! I only agreed because a lot of my soccer mom friends drive them! great choice. It's out of the price range I am willing to spend....but yesterday I laid eyes on a vermillion red x3 and knew I had to have it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just went through this exercise and bought a new 3.2L Q5 in December to replace my leased '08 X3.

Before buying, I read everything I could find on vehicles in the segment and the Q5 consistently come out on top. No doubt the new X3 will be a significant competitor so I look forward to the reviews and comparison tests. I read the posts on the BMW boards regarding the new X3, read the early reviews, and then I finally saw the 2011 X3. I'm a BMW enthusiast - I had a '98 528i and '01 X5 - but the new X3 didn't raise my interest at all. Not even enough to drive one. To me the exterior of the 2011 X3 looks too much like the old one and having had the '08 X3 and '01 X5 previously I was tired of the boxy shape - the Q5 looks more modern, dynamic, and athletic to me.

I think the new X3 will blend in with all the old X3's and X5's and I'd rather have something distinctive, especially in the $45-50k range. It is a terrific replacement for my X3: the 3.2L engine, transmission and driving dynamics really suit me. The difference in ride between my X3 and my new Q5 was worth the price of admission alone.

By the way, I was in Paris last week and saw several X1's and pervious generation X3's. It was great seeing so many Audi sedans on the roads, and of course the Q5 2.0 and 3.0 TDI. Audi design really stands out. It never ceases to amaze me - over there so many high end cars like Mercedes, BMW and Audi are used as taxis.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S4forDC
It never ceases to amaze me - over there so many high end cars like Mercedes, BMW and Audi are used as taxis.

Good luck with your decision!
Agree with your post - was shock for me also. Compare to Mexico where all taxi is Nissan Sentra.
Few more observation from Europe - 60-70% of the cars de-badge,
more then 50% of cars is diesel driven and plenty of wagons.

Last edited by TIME89; 05-04-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I miss this. I grew up in Europe (although I'm American), and we used to have taxi drivers that we knew in many major cities would would basically be our driver for the day when visiting on vacation (think places like Athens). It was surprisingly affordable (the exchange rate was way better back then), and you're being driven around in something nice like an A6 or Mercedes E class.

They're always in way better condition than the ones here in New York, as well.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

We saw an Audi ad in Germany that suggested that you call a Taxi if you wanted to ride in a Mercedes...which we found hilarious because we're buying an Audi, but I'm sure the Mercedes owners are not as amused (Taxi drivers excluded of course)!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interestingly I saw few Audis being used as taxis in Paris; the higher-end cars used as taxis were mostly new Mercedes. We did have car service - from de Gaulle airport in a brand new BMW 5 series and back to the airport in a VW Touareg TDI.

By the way, I meant to also pass along that black was the most common color I saw on the Q5's there (and any other car in Paris, it seemed). I also saw a couple of Meteor Gray and one Deep Sea Blue. There were more Q7's on the roads, but then it has been on the market longer than the Q5.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

:threadjacked:
Old 05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The X3's interior look like it belongs in a funeral home

Quick Reply: Why Q5 over BMW X3