Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Why Q5 over BMW X3

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The X3's interior look like it belongs in a funeral home
I've been reading so much about the X3 on this forum that I decided to go take a look today....They are really good looking on the exterior, but the interior was not nearly as nice as the Q. I didn't even test drive the BMW because it was love at first drive with the Q5. I see Lexus and BMWs everywhere and along with the Q5's great, top reviews, it will be fun to drive something that everyone and their uncle isn't driving!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
:threadjacked:
Threadjacked...funny!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

My big questions are:

The lack of performance in the Q5 3.2 vs the X3 35. The BMW looks on paper to be significantly quicker.

The other question is the lack of availability of sports seats in the Q. A friend has a Q that I've not driven but the seats seemed very "flabby" and not good for holding the body in place through corners.

Any observations from those who have driven both?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The X3's interior look like it belongs in a funeral home

O, Common!
It's not that bad!
Typical BMW - You move from 335 to 535 to X3 to X5 - the are no diffirence!
very typical. for each their own.

Audi has one of the best interior desighn according to Car And Driver.

But I not sure if I liked new Acura design
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 PM
lms
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Le Chef
My big questions are:

The lack of performance in the Q5 3.2 vs the X3 35. The BMW looks on paper to be significantly quicker.

The other question is the lack of availability of sports seats in the Q. A friend has a Q that I've not driven but the seats seemed very "flabby" and not good for holding the body in place through corners.

I have driven both - and both engines in both. I'm not nuts about the styling of the X3, and I agree with the observations that the interior of the Q is superior to the X.

BUT, the X3 with the 35i engine, sport seats, and sport transmission is a way better drivers car than the Q with either engine. I was so impressed in comparison to the Q. I can't bring myself to spend the 50k+ to get it, and will probably end up with the Q, but that combination in the X beats the Q hands down.

Larry
Old 05-05-2011, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
O, Common!
It's not that bad!
Typical BMW - You move from 335 to 535 to X3 to X5 - the are no diffirence!
very typical. for each their own.

Audi has one of the best interior desighn according to Car And Driver.

But I not sure if I liked new Acura design
The new X3 is actually a lot better than the old one interior built material wise, but the design is still the same, very very boring, Audi's interior and exterior designs are years ahead of BMW. I dont like the Acura's interior either, way too many buttons. I actually like the Range Rover's interior the best, but there are too many reliability issues with the brand.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Le Chef
My big questions are:

I have driven both....to me you just can't compare the 35i either engine the Q5 has to offer. It just blows them both away. I'm not a fan of the heavy, sluggish feeling of a V6...that's just me though. The 2.0 Q5 and the 28i have more in common. While you can hear the 2.0 working a bit harder than the 28i, the turbo really gives it an edge that I like. I have a feeling though that when the 28i changes to an i4 later this year...BMW will once again have the edge over both Q5 engines.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like the Range Rover's interior the best, but there are too many reliability issues with the brand.
Like I state before - new X3 is way better then old one - if Q5 was not exist - X3 will be my choice of SUV (maybe MDX )
On of the leading site for car review put Mini and Range Rovers on the bottom of all US sold cars for reliability issue.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MrsAdams2007
I have a feeling though that when the 28i changes to an i4 later this year...BMW will once again have the edge over both Q5 engines.
True enough, but just until Audi jams that 3.0TFSI in the Q. I think that with the competition that the X has now put on the table this is inevitable. I'll be in line for that one.

I too thought the 3.2 felt a bit clunky around town, which is why I ended up going with the 2.0T. It's a great engine, though I could wish for a bit more power there: with its tuning adaptability I think I will be looking around for the right package once I am through my break-in period to get the most out of it and close the distance with all of the above.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Many thought that Audi would replace the 3.2L with the 3.0T engine in the Q5 this year, but Audi let us down. Well, maybe next year.

Quick Reply: Why Q5 over BMW X3