Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wifi Speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wifi Speed

Just curious if this is as good as it gets with this feature as I did sign up for the $450 deal with Audi Connect...

While running the speed test app on the iPhone I am only getting like .20-.30 mbps speeds...I can't even stream music over WiFi without error...I called TMobile and Audi and nothing has worked...

For those that have it and use it is this normal? If not is there anything I can do?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hope3702
Just curious if this is as good as it gets with this feature as I did sign up for the $450 deal with Audi Connect...

While running the speed test app on the iPhone I am only getting like .20-.30 mbps speeds...I can't even stream music over WiFi without error...I called TMobile and Audi and nothing has worked...

For those that have it and use it is this normal? If not is there anything I can do?
Glad you posted about this because I was wondering about the same thing. I have a 3 or 4 month promo which I got with the car when I picked it up early January. My speeds using my iPhone 4s has been hideous, and basically same as using my cellular network. I thought it was maybe local to the area I am in and signal the car is getting.

One thought that comes to mind is maybe in the network settings in MMI one can try using different encryption method? Maybe its slowing things down, not sure.

Quick Edit - Found a useful post more focus on price but if you read through it you will find people complaining. https://forums.audiworld.com/archive...t-2837565.html

Last edited by spinfunky; 02-08-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wifi

My IPhone not on WiFi with ATT gets 2.0-3.5+ then I switch to WiFi and I get .10-.35. Full bars and 3G... makes no sense and it isn't usable.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

My IPhone not on WiFi with ATT gets 2.0-3.5+ then I switch to WiFi and I get .10-.35. Full bars and 3G... makes no sense and it isn't usable.
Agree. Check this out https://forums.audiworld.com/archive...t-2837565.html
Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

How much data did you use in the past month? My experience when I was on the T-mobile/Audi plan was I would get 0.5 to 1.0 at the beginning of the month, but as I used data in excess of 500 MB or so, I was slowed down to the rate you state. Unlimited but not at full speed was my conclusion. I never was able to get confirmation officially that this happens, but it was my observation. I am using the pay per use option with ptel and am not using WiFi, but just using data for Google POI voice search and Google earth maps as needed.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by weth
How much data did you use in the past month? My experience when I was on the T-mobile/Audi plan was I would get 0.5 to 1.0 at the beginning of the month, but as I used data in excess of 500 MB or so, I was slowed down to the rate you state. Unlimited but not at full speed was my conclusion. I never was able to get confirmation officially that this happens, but it was my observation. I am using the pay per use option with ptel and am not using WiFi, but just using data for Google POI voice search and Google earth maps as needed.
I only have the car a week but have earth on all the time
Old 02-09-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I only have the car a week but have earth on all the time
I stream Pandora without any issues. iPhone 4s and I make sure that I am connected to the car's Wi-Fi and not something else. This is in the LA Area. I do not know how much bandwidth I have used in the last month.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dsackman
I stream Pandora without any issues. iPhone 4s and I make sure that I am connected to the car's Wi-Fi and not something else. This is in the LA Area. I do not know how much bandwidth I have used in the last month.

Do you have any idea what speed you have? Speed test app
Old 02-09-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have any idea what speed you have? Speed test app
No idea what the actual bandwidth or throughput is - all I know it is good enough to handle Google maps and Pandora at the same time when I have 4 bars. If it pops into 2g, then off course there is degradation.

Links on speed app for iPhone 4s?

Old 02-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dsackman
Links on speed app for iPhone 4s?
Try this one. I am interested in the results you get and where you live.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spee...300704847?mt=8

I will test & report speeds in Dallas area next month when our Q5 arrives. Download speed will determine whether I spring for the $450 option for 36 mo. or go the PTEL route.

Quick Reply: Wifi Speed