Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Will new Q5 'not' be a Torsen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will new Q5 'not' be a Torsen?

Check out this article which seems to indicate that new Q5 will not be Torsen. Sounds like a Haldex like system? Take it for what its worth... could be bogus.

New Audi quattro ultra four-wheel drive system detailed | Autocar
Old 02-17-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds plausible. Audi needs to get the mpg of the fleet up and the Q5 is a high volume seller. Will need to see how this performs. I have an S3 and the quattro works great.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully not true, I wouldn't purchase a FWD-biased Q5.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sugadaddy
Hopefully not true, I wouldn't purchase a FWD-biased Q5.
Any reason?
Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I thought that Audi had gone away from Torsen to a proprietary system some time back. But at least it is still steel gears all the way. I am sure they will make this new system work but I wish they would just leave the longitudinal engined cars alone and not introduce automated clutches and stuff. This new system is bound to have a lag spinning up the driveshaft so it will be lumpy like a Haldex system.

If the new system can produce fuel savings of 0.3l/100 km as the article suggests it will make a noticeable difference to AUDI's CAFE numbers in the future...and for them that is a good enough reason to do it. But I doubt whether any of us real humans will notice.

Last edited by timlocke; 02-17-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by timlocke
I thought that Audi had gone away from Torsen to a proprietary system some time back.
Current Q5 still uses Torsen...
Audi all wheel drive explained | awd cars, 4x4 vehicles, 4wd trucks, 4motion, quattro, xDrive, SH-AWD, Haldex, Torsen, wiki - How it works

But at least it is still steel gears all the way. I am sure they will make this new system work but I wish they would just leave the longitudinal engined cars alone and not introduce automated clutches and stuff. This new system is bound to have a lag spinning up the driveshaft so it will be lumpy like a Haldex system.
I share your sentiment. And the new system described in the article does sound more Haldex-like.

Keep in mind, Torsen has some weaknesses, too. In rare cases when a single axle loses grip completely (very low traction on ice) the car is not able to move because no torque is sensed on one of the axles, so the differential does not lock. Remember the BMW 'test' exposing this weakness?

Quattro Vs. Xdrive Test | awd cars, 4x4 vehicles, 4wd trucks, 4motion, quattro, xDrive, SH-AWD, Haldex, Torsen, wiki - How it works

Again, this is a fairly rare case, I would say. Torsen has worked pretty well in practice over the years, but I can see how the race to better fuel economy will make it go away.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
Any reason?
Then it feels and handles like a FWD car which means lots of torque-steer, terminal understeer and a simple less sharp handling car. Might as well just buy a loaded Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer or Edge and save $20k.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by motoguy128
Then it feels and handles like a FWD car which means lots of torque-steer, terminal understeer and a simple less sharp handling car. Might as well just buy a loaded Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer or Edge and save $20k.
This... If they want to disable an axle to save gas, then disable the front one and put a button to let me choose when I want to do it. I'm not paying "Q5 money" for AWD that feels like a RAV4.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Current Q5 still uses Torsen...
Audi all wheel drive explained | awd cars, 4x4 vehicles, 4wd trucks, 4motion, quattro, xDrive, SH-AWD, Haldex, Torsen, wiki - How it works

I share your sentiment. And the new system described in the article does sound more Haldex-like.

Keep in mind, Torsen has some weaknesses, too. In rare cases when a single axle loses grip completely (very low traction on ice) the car is not able to move because no torque is sensed on one of the axles, so the differential does not lock. Remember the BMW 'test' exposing this weakness?

Quattro Vs. Xdrive Test | awd cars, 4x4 vehicles, 4wd trucks, 4motion, quattro, xDrive, SH-AWD, Haldex, Torsen, wiki - How it works

Again, this is a fairly rare case, I would say. Torsen has worked pretty well in practice over the years, but I can see how the race to better fuel economy will make it go away.
The BMW expose only tells half the story... The ABS/ASC detects the wheelspin and applies brakes to the spinning wheel which restores torque and the Torsen then appropriates torque to other wheels and off you go.

if you watch the BMW clip.. the key was that the driver was bumping the throttle instead of keeping it pressed down and letting ASC detect the wheelspin. Audi published a video that showed how to properly deal with the one axle on ice situation. Ill see if I can find that video.

Here is one of them....

Here is the other one...

Last edited by Don Keener; 02-17-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by motoguy128
Yup.. The Haldex system is sometimes called a 'slip and grip' where it runs in 2wd mode until slip is detected and then it brings on the other axle. the Torsen is putting torque to all four wheels all the time so slip is avoided... Id rather avoid slip than try to recover after it happens... Just my preference.

Quick Reply: Will new Q5 'not' be a Torsen?