Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such large roof glass will absorb sun infraray and radiate the heat to interior more than sidewindows together so tinting the side windows and leaving roof as is will not help to control the heat.

We drove from Utah to Kansas 2 weeks ago, stopped at Salina to meet my friend and car stood outside 1.5 hours on 105F day under direct sunlight with perforated cover closed. I had to come and start the car 20 mins before wife and 18 months old kiddo so I could blast the AC to cool down the interior but the roof radiated heat so much that wife and baby were sweating on back seat and it took about hour drive on highway to get interior cool enough to compensate the heat radiation from roof.

Panorama is nice thing somewhere up north where it doesn't get hot.

Down south with 3 digit days, panorama is biggest vanity POS and our next car will be with solid roof.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It gets super hot here, like 120 degrees and up so getting car tinted on saturday. going to install Huper Optik ceramic film. I have it installed on my FJ and it's incredibly good, like the best you can get.

Going to install Ceramic 40 tint all over include roof and Ceramic 70 for the front

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/ceramic-series.cfm
Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just had my side windows done today (Llumar is what they used, $80, 35%). They would not do my pano as it's tinted from factory and would/could cause excessive heat and crack pano. Will investigate further, as it does get hot in Savannah, although I've survived through July and August this year...
Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usurp
It gets super hot here, like 120 degrees and up so getting car tinted on saturday. going to install Huper Optik ceramic film. I have it installed on my FJ and it's incredibly good, like the best you can get.

Going to install Ceramic 40 tint all over include roof and Ceramic 70 for the front

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/ceramic-series.cfm
Hmmm, I like the idea of a clear tint like that....
http://www.huperoptikusa.com/Automotive-series.cfm
but what the heck does their naming/numbering system represent ?

what's a tser, vlt and vlr

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 09-08-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

lol not really sure this is their consumer page without the numbers just information
http://www.huperoptikusa.com/automotive.cfm

All i know is that I have the C40 on the sides and the clear C70 on the front of my FJ and the temps in kuwait hit over 120 degrees and the tint is just incredibly good. Keeps the car very cool I love it. Also when you're inside the car it doesn't feel like it's tinted, the optics is very good. On the outside on the other hand the brighter the sun the darker the tint looks as well. Pretty cool, will take shots once I get them installed on my Q5 tomorrow.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks - interested in the before and after pics -
while not QUITE as hot as there - DFW's heat island is nothing small at all
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Reply

I thought it came tinted with the new Q5 that I picked up yesterday. So I guess it is not standard for the sun roof and rear windows to be tinted when the car rolls out the lot.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

sunroof and rear windows ARE tinted, but sunroof could use more.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by waiyan115
I thought it came tinted with the new Q5 that I picked up yesterday. So I guess it is not standard for the sun roof and rear windows to be tinted when the car rolls out the lot.
In the US it is standard for the rear windows and sunroof to come tinted, but in many other countries, one must opt for the "privacy glass" option in order for the windows to come tinted from the factory.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jb2510
sunroof and rear windows ARE tinted, but sunroof could use more.
That is not correct, the factory glass is dyed, not tinted and offers no heat rejection or UVA/UVB protection. It is merely done from the factory for privacy.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting