Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Windshield Wiper Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Replacement?

I have been having an annoying issue with my windshield wipers. I wax the windshields on all my cars. It helps to prevent water spots from forming and allows the water to bead nicely and fly off the windshield at high speeds. However, the factory windshield wipers will bounce on the down strokes. My other cars have never done the same thing. Has anyone replaced their windshield wipers with after market ones? If so which ones and how did they work out?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Has anyone replaced their windshield wipers with after market ones? If so which ones and how did they work out?"

+1, I too would like to see comments on this.

THX
Old 07-05-2010, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replacing the wiper doesn't eliminate the windshield "bounching" during up or down stroke of wiper arm as bouncing happens (I have encountered it on few other cars) when the tip where wiper attaches is not 90 degrees to windshield.

On some cars you can't maintain perpendicular position from beginning (all the way down) to end (all the way up) as window itself is parabolic so like mine, I used the service position to get wipers up a bit, then with my hand moved to middle way, lift up, place adjustable wrench to all the way up like can be seen from this blurry shot...

and with your other hand hold below the wrench to support the arm itself while you "twist" it and make sure you turn wrench on axis of wiper arm to change the degree it haves when against the window.

The arm is flexible steel so you you have to turn a bit more than what you want, I have done it little step by step just a turn a bit to see how it aligns and do it again.

After I have given this treatment to any of my cars, no "bounching" issues.<O</O