Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Winter Tire Experience / Cargo Box Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tire Experience / Cargo Box Review

I've gotten so much info from this forum I thought I'd try and give a little back by writing about what I learned while swapping my Q5 to winter mode.

Just got back from mammoth for a few days when it dumped more than 15 feet of snow. While we witnessed many a vehicle slide into embankments and worse, I am happy to say that with a set of snow tires, the Q5 handled brilliantly. I never lost control, had trouble stopping, slid off any road or over any poor pedestrians. Messing around in a parking lot, I couldn't break the wheels loose unless I turned off ESP and around the village I only needed to turn it off once to get up a steep hill.

I've got 17" AMG Twin replica's on there with Blizzacks DM-V1 tires from America's Tire. When it came to getting winter rims I quickly realized that my options were pretty limited. I was looking for a 17" or 18" wheel, nothing wider than 8" since thinner tires do better in the snow and I needed it to fit the Q5 5x112 bolt pattern, 66.6mm bore, and have an offset that was close to the factory 39mm on the OEM 19"s that came with my car. This left Benz Wheels, Audi Wheels, and a few aftermarket wheels that would need bore rings to fit.

I have the ABS tire pressure sensors so I didn't need to swap any sensors out when I changed the wheels and a the TPMS was easily reset using the MMS. It's easy to tell if you have them, if your tire valves are rubber, your sensors use data from your breaks so you're good to go.

The lug bolts that came with the rims were initially too short. I could only turn them 4 times, and I wanted the bolt to go in close to the diameter of the bolt. Q5 bolts are 14x1.5 so I wanted to get at least 7 turns in there. The idea is that I want to bolt to break before it strips. Good thing we have lug bolts instead of lug nuts/studs so getting longer bolts was easy.

As for the tires, I decided on DM-V1's because a buddy told me they were better than performance winter's on snow. How true this is I don't know, but I am pretty happy with them.

Last but not least, I put a Thule Atlantis 1600 on top. I tried a 1800 at first but I had to slide it all the way forward and the rear hatch would still hit unless I adjusted it down a bit. The 1600 was enough to carry 5 boards, four helmets, four pairs of boots with a bit of room to spare so it's big enough for me. I also learned that I've been a tool, pronouncing Thule like "school" which is apparently wrong. I only discovered it recently when snobbishly corrected by a young retail employee. "We don't carry any "thooooooools" but we do have "too-lee" cargo boxes." The self control to not slap the zits right off his face was all but impossible to muster. I share that with you all now so you can avoid a similarly unpleasant experience.

Happy Holidays!
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2010, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default More Pics

More Pics...
Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for posting your experience. Given my s-line is coming with summer tires I think I'm going to be in the market for a wheel and snow tire package next year so I may follow your lead.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Winter has descended on Michigan, so I changed my Q5's tires and wheels out last as well. I went with Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires (235/65/17), which was down from the OEM 19" Michelins that came on the car. As for wheels, I went with the 17x7.5 Sendel S07 version, which looks good and is the right size. Belle Tire here locally did it and they were fine. Handling so far on the Q5 has been great - far better than the all-season ties and only a bit more noise at highway speed. I had Blizzaks on a MINI Cooper previously, so I was sold on the brand/model. Highly recommended on the Q5.

Kent in MI
Old 12-23-2010, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the review. I've had DM-V1s on my Q5 since November 20th but we have yet to get any snow!!! This time last year we had already been hit 3 times. I'm sure it is just a matter of time and I'm very curious how the Q5 will perform in the snow but it is good to see your review. The best snow vehicle we've had was our 1998 Jeep Cherokee with a 5spd. It was amazing in the snow.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

After several trips across Loveland Pass turning all my skis into dirt-and-magnesium chloride-encrusted popsicles, I'm seriously considering that cargo box. Thanks for posting the pics up.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pijyster
Last but not least, I put a Thule Atlantis 1600 on top. I tried a 1800 at first but I had to slide it all the way forward and the rear hatch would still hit unless I adjusted it down a bit. The 1600 was enough to carry 5 boards, four helmets, four pairs of boots with a bit of room to spare so it's big enough for me. I also learned that I've been a tool, pronouncing Thule like "school" which is apparently wrong. I only discovered it recently when snobbishly corrected by a young retail employee. "We don't carry any "thooooooools" but we do have "too-lee" cargo boxes." The self control to not slap the zits right off his face was all but impossible to muster. I share that with you all now so you can avoid a similarly unpleasant experience.
Ahh yess, ZEE GERMANS!!

Can't wait for my first ski trip tomorrow!