Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfmassa
I think I remember an earlier thread that you have Nokians on your Q5?
If so, are they the Hakka R 235/60 R18 107R series?
I am going for 18" wheels not 17".
I don't think I could take the shock going from S-Line 20" to 17"!
Are you going with the size 235/60 R18? I ran a couple of size comparisions at www.miata.net and found that a 215/65 R 18 was a much closer match. Any reasons you've gone with another size?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poncherelly
Are you going with the size 235/60 R18? I ran a couple of size comparisions at www.miata.net and found that a 215/65 R 18 was a much closer match. Any reasons you've gone with another size?
Mainly because that is the size that Audi uses on an 18" Wheel as OEM if you don't buy any extra wheel packages with the Q5.
Tire Rack also specs this size and dealer also recommended.
-Thanks.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rfmassa
Mainly because that is the size that Audi uses on an 18" Wheel as OEM if you don't buy any extra wheel packages with the Q5.
Tire Rack also specs this size and dealer also recommended.
-Thanks.
Good to know. I guess the computer will adjust for the size difference or will the speedo be out?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't believe there should be any issue with the speed for two reasons.
The 18" wheel setup is exactly what Audi uses on a standrd Q5. The 2010's don't use TPMS sensors, so that won't be an issue.
But, the tire diameter should be the same, in other words, the car is not going to sit any higher or lower with my 20" S-Line wheels vs. the 18' wheels/tires. The profile dimension on each tire compensates for the 2" difference in wheel size, to effectively make the diameter the same.

The math would work like this:

20" S-Line 255/45 tire size = (44% of 255mm x 2) = 9". 20" rim + 9 = 29" diameter.

18" standard 235/60 tire size = ( 60% of 235mm x 2) = 11". 18" rim + 11 = 29"
Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 ??

Considering purchasing Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 winter tires **Brand new this year** 235/60 R18 and using my existing Audi OEM 18 inch rims.

Any comments from the Q5 forum would be appreciated.

The Blizzak DM-V1 is Bridgestone’s Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice and Snow winter tire developed for the drivers of pickup, crossover and sport utility vehicles looking to combine grip in snow and on ice with reassuring handling on wet roads and in slush. The Blizzak DM-V1 is designed with a focus on ice traction and braking, as well as wet road handling and hydroplaning resistance to provide wintertime driving competence. 

The Blizzak DM-V1 uses Bridgestone's Multicell Z compound featuring microscopic bubbles and tubes to absorb the thin film of water that forms as tires run over packed snow and ice, while micro bite particles contribute to the edge effect that improves grip on packed snow and icy surfaces. Other compound improvements include the addition of a special polymer that improves silica dispersion to increase wet grip in chilly temperatures by suppressing the influence temperatures have on rubber hardness.
The Blizzak DM-V1 directional tread pattern features low void to increase contact area on the road. Groove distribution has been optimized with four straight grooves to assure efficient water evacuation while two center grooves criss-cross to improve drainage and offer strong edge effect at all angles, giving higher snow and wet performance with better grip in all directions. The Blizzak DM-V1 also incorporates advanced 3D Wash Board Z Sipe technology that increases both block stiffness for handling in the dry and increases the biting edge effect on frozen surfaces.
The Blizzak DM-V1 radial meets the industry’s severe snow service requirements and is branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.
NOTE: The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-V1 tread depth features the Multicell Z Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound. When the Blizzak DM-V1 is approximately 50 percent worn, a depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that the remaining tread is reaching the end of its ability to provide beneficial snow traction.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by somf

.....The Blizzak DM-V1 is Bridgestone’s Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice and Snow winter tire developed .......
Did you copy and paste the sales brochure BS each brand spreads around

I have lost my respect to that severe weather snow flake icon as most of groovier M+S tires have that same icon stamped to the sidewall. I have hands on experience from groovy BF G all terrain with snow flake on my diesel suburban versus Nokian Hakka on one car and Briges Blizzak on other car. Only situation when BF G was better was deep lush where its deep grooves allowed better flow than "normal" tires. On snow and ice couldn't get close to Nokian and Briges.

I got my set earlier this summer

same size as org summer tires so should not cause any speed error etc...
Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Kleinbbus for for feedback ... Never meant to promote Blizzak DM-V1 from a promotional perspective but Bridgestone seems to have created an innovated winter tire technology and was seeking the Q5 Forum's insight and feedback.

Pandora's Pickle =
Deep snow
Packed snow
Ice
Wet slush
Cold dry pavement performance (long term wear)
Old 10-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

any reason why we couldn't use the s-line 20" rims with winter rubber? note - i'd like to get after market rims in spring...
Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jazzmeer
any reason why we couldn't use the s-line 20" rims with winter rubber? note - i'd like to get after market rims in spring...
You can use any profile available for your car, in sizes you feel would work for you and your comfort and driving style.

<O</O
<O</O
Mostly people who have already used real winter tires know that low profile winter rubber is harder and more noisy than "normal" 60-80 profile.

<O</O
<O</O
Noisiness increase when tire wears out more, approx first 10 thousand miles are pretty good as rubber is soft but when you get close to half way of thread, whole tire seems to change its characteristics and comes really hard, noticeable on old single compound tires and even on new dual compound tires. At this point those are not worth of effort to save for next winter as they are slippery, so I use to drive them down during spring, and when noise and hardness gets way too annoying, I swap back to summers no matter there is still some thread left on winter rubbers.
<O</O
Another issue is that winter tires need to be driven bald and replaced every 2-3 years. If you try to save them whole rest of your life then you end up having really hard rubber, as time seems to dry the rubber compound and that means those become really slippery too.

I have seen this happen to my grandfather and even father and few friends when they tried to save money and keep them next winter and then again "hey I have still thread left, I will save these to next winter". When ever I drove those cars I felt there was summer tires on and I had to go check what the heck was going on.
So far I have been lucky to have winter miles enough the way I need to buy new set every 3rd winter. Sure there is thread left but lush characteristics are already gone so it is time to get new ones.

Like one old fart semi driver told me once after I moved here NA, it is not how well I drive at winter with my winter tires, it is all about those moron cheap idiots sliding around with summer tires....

Last edited by kleinbus; 10-10-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Did you copy and paste the sales brochure BS each brand spreads around

I have lost my respect to that severe weather snow flake icon as most of groovier M+S tires have that same icon stamped to the sidewall. I have hands on experience from groovy BF G all terrain with snow flake on my diesel suburban versus Nokian Hakka on one car and Briges Blizzak on other car. Only situation when BF G was better was deep lush where its deep grooves allowed better flow than "normal" tires. On snow and ice couldn't get close to Nokian and Briges.

I got my set earlier this summer

same size as org summer tires so should not cause any speed error etc...
do you have any other pictures with those wheels on the car? those are one of the wheels that i am considering so i would like to see more pictures if you have them.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires