Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tires

Looking for winter tires for my 19inch Q5. You guys have any suggestions? The two models I found on tirerack was

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 $133

and the

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow $166

Also, for Canadian Q5 owners, anyone know any place I can get a good price for tires?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by binzokun
Looking for winter tires for my 19inch Q5. You guys have any suggestions? The two models I found on tirerack was

and the

Also, for Canadian Q5 owners, anyone know any place I can get a good price for tires?
was looking at the same tires for my s-line; going with 18 inch tires and rims for winter. I was leaning more towards the prelli as the reviews stated better cornering and stability while the bliz is more of a snow tire, softer, doesn't last as long but a better grip. Considering the rating though the prelli is still great in the snow. I would go with this one.

As to the other question I decided not to go with tire rack as I got worried about the offset etc. So I'm going with Kal tire. Price is pretty much same, after duties etc, and I can let them worry about the whole thing. Getting the Nokian Hakka R SUV tire, heard some good things about it.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by binzokun

and the

It depends on where you live and what you want out of the tires.

The Bridgestone is a true studless snow tire:

1. Excellent in snow, slush, ice, etc
2. Very soft rubber and pliable sidewall - this means faster tire wear and reduced handling (compared to summer/all-season) in wet and dry conditions. Many people feel studless snows are squishy when pushed hard.

The Pirellis are a performance snow:

1. Good in snow, slush, ice, but not as good as studless
2. Performance almost comparable with all-season tires with respect to wear and handling.
3. Quieter than studless snows.

Thus, if you drive in snowy conditions most of the time (snows often, hard-packed roads, etc), the studless is the way to go. If you want good performance in snow but put more stock in handling on dry or wet pavement, the performance snow is the way to go.

I ran Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows for three years and never got stuck. Not even during the Portland, OR "Arctic Blast" where they didn't plow for over a week. However, these were installed on a Range Rover, not an Audi. The tires give good performance as long as you stay within their limits.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would also look at Dunlop 3D's as well. I don't like Blizzak's because they are too soft. Check out www.Buffulaonytires.com, they are about 2 hours away from Toronto with great prices. Ask for Dan Jr.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

MichelinŽ LatitudeŽ AlpinŽ HP
WarrantySpecs
EnlargeWinter Traction for Luxury SUVs. MICHELINŽ LatitudeŽ AlpinŽ HP tires combine the ultra-high performance characteristics of a PilotŽ series tire with the unique winter performance abilities of an AlpinŽ tire.

Features and Benefits
•Confident Handling in Cold Weather Conditions
3-D Active Sipes combine to create a stable tread block with multiple Biting Edges™ for better road hold in subzero temperatures. Now you can actually enjoy driving in wintery conditions.

•Quiet, Smooth Ride in Cold Weather Conditions
MICHELINŽ Comfort Control Technology™ helps deliver one of the most comfortable rides in the industry by using computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing to greatly reduce vibrations and road noise.

•Excellent Traction in Snow and Ice
A larger contact patch helps to maximize the amount of rubber in contact with the road, providing excellent traction against cold-weather hazards, including black ice.

My Audi Dealer is installing these on New Rims 17"
Next week
All New Total Cost with Rims from Audi $2400.00 Installed

BCD-1
Old 10-30-2009, 04:07 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mpurewal
. . . I decided not to go with tire rack as I got worried about the offset etc. . . .
Why are you worried? I ordered a set from TireRack recently, but they are still sitting in my garage. I sure hope there is not an issue with offset when I get them fitted in the near future. Did you or someone you know run into a problem with TireRack before?
Old 10-30-2009, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrV
Why are you worried? I ordered a set from TireRack recently, but they are still sitting in my garage. I sure hope there is not an issue with offset when I get them fitted in the near future. Did you or someone you know run into a problem with TireRack before?
I got mine from "rack" and fits like a glove and whole set with sensors and with shipping was under 1500.

Last edited by kleinbus; 10-30-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BCD-1
MichelinŽ LatitudeŽ AlpinŽ HP

My Audi Dealer is installing these on New Rims 17"
Next week
All New Total Cost with Rims from Audi $2400.00 Installed

BCD-1
Seems a bit spendy considering you can get a similar package with non Audi rims for a lot less somewhere like TireRack. I was looking at 18"s for well below $2k.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tire rack has a winter tire/wheel package available in 17" size for under 1000 which is a fantastic deal. The winter tires are Generals, but have got excellent reviews (personally I LOVE the Michellin X-ICE 2 winter tires)

My Q5 is on order with the standard 18" wheels. My plan is to put some winter rubber on them right away (won't be getting it till January probably - ugh), and once the snow finally melts I'm getting some replica RS4 rims for summer.

For the price of audi provided wheels and winter tires I'll be able to get a set of winter tires mounted on the 18" and a set of replica RS4 wheels with summer tires.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
I got mine from "rack" and fits like a glove and whole set with sensors and with shipping was under 1500.
+1

Quick Reply: winter tires