Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

wiring extra lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring extra lights

I am looking to install extra set of lights up front and want to hook them up so they come on when the car does and off when the car is off. I really am trying to avoiding installing a actual switch. Anyone know what I can do or know the wires I can splice into that would do this. Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From experiences with fitting accessories to a motorcycle with a CANBUS system, I would suggest that you create a separate circuit for all accessories and make it run off the battery through its own set of fuses. Use a relay - maybe off the DRL's to trigger the additional lights.

What complicates matters is that the battery is in the trunk, so it is a long stretch to the engine compartment. You way want to see whether you can use the remote battery start points in the engine compartment to take power from.

I am not a mechanic, so take these thoughts where it comes from - the Internet, at your own risk.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your better off not touching the electrical system of Audi.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dsackman
From experiences with fitting accessories to a motorcycle with a CANBUS system, I would suggest that you create a separate circuit for all accessories and make it run off the battery through its own set of fuses. Use a relay - maybe off the DRL's to trigger the additional lights.

What complicates matters is that the battery is in the trunk, so it is a long stretch to the engine compartment. You way want to see whether you can use the remote battery start points in the engine compartment to take power from.

I am not a mechanic, so take these thoughts where it comes from - the Internet, at your own risk.

You can piggy back off the positive battery terminal in the engine bay if it's just a couple lights. I believe there's a picture of the location in the owner's manual.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know where the battery terminal is under the hood. I was going to tap into the fog lights, the only thing would be is that they would only come on when I turn those fog lights on. I was hoping to use them like extra set of driving lights. And I know the electrical system is crazy with Audi's a reason I am asking this question. I may just have to install them on a separate switch then.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What type of lights are you looking at installing and where do you plan to mount them? I only ask because I think the Q5's headlights are already pretty visible for both the driver and as a distraction to other drivers. I think one more set of lights would be over the top in terms of distracting oncoming drivers, while not giving you much of a boost in visibility.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
What type of lights are you looking at installing and where do you plan to mount them? I only ask because I think the Q5's headlights are already pretty visible for both the driver and as a distraction to other drivers. I think one more set of lights would be over the top in terms of distracting oncoming drivers, while not giving you much of a boost in visibility.
+1
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was going to hook up an additional driving lights for the back roads I drive at night. And just like the Q7 I was looking to install a small LED strip near the bottom of the bumper near the fog lights.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can you see it now???

MORE LIGHTS IS GOOD-ER!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://hattr1ck.deviantart.com/art/A...Sport-58240720

Quick Reply: wiring extra lights