Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

wiring extra lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest that you hook those up with a separate switch. You are going to **** very many people off if you have those on automatically as you intend.

Last edited by dsackman; 12-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the following thread from Murano forum.
------------------------------------------------------------------
An easy way to accomplish getting power to low power draw (5-10 Watt) accessories like radar detectors, exterior LED lights, foot well LED's etc. is to just use an add a circuit in conjunction with a "switched" fuse slot in the interior fuse panel. You want a switched fuse slot so power to the accessory is turned off when you turn off the vehicle. The use of these add a circuits is wide spread / used by many vehicle owners and with non-problematic results.

For someone that wants to power exterior, low power draw LED's.. DRL's that they want turned on and off with the vehicle ignition, all they would do is use the add a circuit in conjunction with a switched fuse slot and then run the power wire from the add a fuse through the firewall (easy) to the LED's. No relay is necessary.

By the way, I power my radar detector on my Murano using this approach.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi1381
I was going to hook up an additional driving lights for the back roads I drive at night. And just like the Q7 I was looking to install a small LED strip near the bottom of the bumper near the fog lights.
its bright enough with HID foglights for backroads. No need to do additional wiring for new lights
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure what kind of lights you are looking for, but up here in the dark and the nowhere I use these. These are extra high beam, come on automatically when you engage the high beam. 3 x 55W Xenon creates more than daylight.

(sorry it's not a Q5, only A4 Allroad)
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
alan@beachboundhound.com (12-19-2022)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Asyvan
Not sure what kind of lights you are looking for, but up here in the dark and the nowhere I use these. These are extra high beam, come on automatically when you engage the high beam. 3 x 55W Xenon creates more than daylight.

holly crap lol
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Excuse me, but this is ugly
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Excuse me, but this is ugly
Sometimes function beats beauty.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
holly crap lol
holy crap is exactly what i said when i saw those lights. i think Asyvan's idea of hooking them up to the high beams is a good idea if the OP is going to go ahead w/the project and will eliminate the need for a separate switch in the cabin. Hooking those up to turn on with your headlights is not a good idea unless you want to get pulled over, lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Asyvan

Actually was looking along the lines something like this but smaller like KC lights, make it into a Rally anyway I think I got what I need and all. Thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
holy crap is exactly what i said when i saw those lights. i think Asyvan's idea of hooking them up to the high beams is a good idea if the OP is going to go ahead w/the project and will eliminate the need for a separate switch in the cabin. Hooking those up to turn on with your headlights is not a good idea unless you want to get pulled over, lol.
LOL..its better off using HID fogs. their good for off road rally. but not for daily driving.i think his wires will burn hooking up all that light.

Quick Reply: wiring extra lights