Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

wiring extra lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
LOL..its better off using HID fogs. their good for off road rally. but not for daily driving.i think his wires will burn hooking up all that light.
You have no idea what you are talking about, have you?
I admit that driving in the northern parts of Sweden is quite different than from Los Angeles or whatever. But still, consider this...

1. Try using your fogs in 80-100 km/h (50-62 mph) on twisting gravel or winter roads. They will light up your path say 30-50 m (31-52 yard). Even with HID, you are still limited by the lens of the fogs. You can't even see the next corner properly before you are at it... and how on earth would you spot a dear or a moose?

2. The 225mm diameter 55W Xenon lights give you absolute daylight for a couple of 100 m, which is what you need on a curvy road. If the road opens up to a straight, it will light up 800 m in front of you. I can see the obstacles and take corrective actions in time.

3. When you hook up any additional lights or electrical equipment you use a relay. The power is drawn directly from 12V source with proper sized wires and fed to the lights through the relay. The relay is controlled by whatever you choose, in my case the electrical signal that switches on the high beam.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

deer or moose, not dear moose. ;-)
Old 12-14-2012, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Asyvan
I admit that driving in the northern parts of Sweden is quite different than from Los Angeles or whatever. But still, consider this...

1. Try using your fogs in 80-100 km/h (50-62 mph) on twisting gravel or winter roads. They will light up your path say 30-50 m (31-52 yard). Even with HID, you are still limited by the lens of the fogs. You can't even see the next corner properly before you are at it... and how on earth would you spot a dear or a moose?

2. The 225mm diameter 55W Xenon lights give you absolute daylight for a couple of 100 m, which is what you need on a curvy road. If the road opens up to a straight, it will light up 800 m in front of you. I can see the obstacles and take corrective actions in time.

3. When you hook up any additional lights or electrical equipment you use a relay. The power is drawn directly from 12V source with proper sized wires and fed to the lights through the relay. The relay is controlled by whatever you choose, in my case the electrical signal that switches on the high beam.
USA HAS REGULATION IN EACH STATE.................WHAT DONT YOU GET? HOOKING UP ADDITIONAL LIGHTS TO LIGHT UP WHATS INFRONT OF YOU ARE NOTDOT APPROVED. THEY ARE ONLY USED OFF ROAD WITHOUT ANY ONCOMING DRIVERS.....NO MATTER HOW BRIGHT YOUR LIGHTS ARE JUST TO SEE AN ANIMAL ON THE ROAD. BY THE TIME YOU SEEE IT. IT WILL BE TOOOO LATE TO EVEN DODGE IT. IF OP WANTS TO INSTALL THOSE LIGHTS, HE IS USING IT ON HIS OWN TERM AND RISK. PLEASE DONT COME TELLING ME THAT I DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. THIS FORUM IS NOT DESIGNED FOR YOU FOOLS TO BASH OTHER MEMBERS AND CONVIINCE MEMBERS TO DO THINGS THAT MAY BE DANGEROUS AND NOT SUITABLE FOR DAILY DRIVING.

GET THIS RIGHT..INSTALLING AFTERMARKET WIRING LIGHTS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IMMEDIATELLY IF ANYTHING HAPPENS.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

I admit that driving in the northern parts of Sweden is quite differen......
I think that this is necessary in Sweden or any other country Audi would put as additional equipment, not only Audi but also other car manufacturers
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

USA HAS REGULATION IN EACH STATE.................WHAT DONT YOU GET? HOOKING UP ADDITIONAL LIGHTS TO LIGHT UP WHATS INFRONT OF YOU ARE NOTDOT APPROVED. THEY ARE ONLY USED OFF ROAD WITHOUT ANY ONCOMING DRIVERS.....NO MATTER HOW BRIGHT YOUR LIGHTS ARE JUST TO SEE AN ANIMAL ON THE ROAD. BY THE TIME YOU SEEE IT. IT WILL BE TOOOO LATE TO EVEN DODGE IT. IF OP WANTS TO INSTALL THOSE LIGHTS, HE IS USING IT ON HIS OWN TERM AND RISK. PLEASE DONT COME TELLING ME THAT I DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. THIS FORUM IS NOT DESIGNED FOR YOU FOOLS TO BASH OTHER MEMBERS AND CONVIINCE MEMBERS TO DO THINGS THAT MAY BE DANGEROUS AND NOT SUITABLE FOR DAILY DRIVING.

GET THIS RIGHT..INSTALLING AFTERMARKET WIRING LIGHTS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IMMEDIATELLY IF ANYTHING HAPPENS.
Relax! No reason to get so worked up. This is his setup and he was just sharing it. You made a lot of assumptions but do you know what the driving conditions are like in Northern Sweden or how the installation was done- if the wires are safe, professionally installed, etc.? You mentioned the US DOT but how does that apply to Swedish driving laws and customs? Give him a break - to each their own. No one is forcing you like his setup and you two don't drive on the same roads so there will be no blinding issues for you to worry about.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by georgehf
Relax! No reason to get so worked up. This is his setup and he was just sharing it. You made a lot of assumptions but do you know what the driving conditions are like in Northern Sweden or how the installation was done- if the wires are safe, professionally installed, etc.? You mentioned the US DOT but how does that apply to Swedish driving laws and customs? Give him a break - to each their own. No one is forcing you like his setup and you two don't drive on the same roads so there will be no blinding issues for you to worry about.
.....do you know if OP is in Sweden? OP did not say he is going to get it professionally installed....people on this forum that are not from US or live in the US should chill out when commentings posts. You guys are NOT the only country using this FORUM

Last edited by AudiQ5sleeper; 12-14-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow.
You do understand that you should hook them up to the high beam, right?

I have no clue on US laws, but I would be suprised if you were allowed to drive with high beam on with other cars in front of you, either coming against you or are ahead of you. . Most countries have a law against that, so do Sweden.

Most countries also prohibits any additionsl lights in front during driving, in order not to blind others. This includes the fogs for Sweden for instance.

Common sense applies if not the law, dont blind other drivers.

So, this means using high beam only when you cant blind others according to the law and thus connecting extra lights this way does not change any blinding situation. When you have noone up front, whatever road, switch on high beam. The extra lights come on automatically.

I am sorry if I upset you, but you were talking about wires burning up. That was just plain incorrect. You also mentioned HID fogs as sufficient for off road driving, which just shows that you have no experience on the subject.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeeze 'gentlemen' !

Chill out... this is not a personal attack forum...

some here sound like teenagers with their testies in a wad

Yes, some STATES have laws about lighting... for instance, here in the dfw area, lawfully, you can't have high beams on within 300 yards of another car..
and since there are 300 cars per yard here basically, you shouldn't ever have high beams on... BUT, I've never had an issue and many of my vehicles had up to 6 forward facing lights... (fyi, that's the lawful limit around here) two DRIVING lites, two headlights, and two PIAA 520's...

Our combined tow weight on my other vehicles have been upwards of 25k lbs combined weight... so I NEED to see as far as I can and have added lites on many of my vehicles..

judicious use of them is fine and lawful, so ALLOW us to make modifications to our own cars, and you can do the same....

Will probably opt for a http://www.rigidindustries.com/Off-R...-Bars-s/64.htm on my new tow vehicle - got a rigid industries light bar and driving light set as a Christmas present for my stepson's nice new Raptor last year and they work WELL

and guess what - this video is drviing on the 'wrong' side of the road good luck

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 12-15-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am sorry if I upset you, but you were talking about wires burning up. That was just plain incorrect. You also mentioned HID fogs as sufficient for off road driving, which just shows that you have no experience on the subject.
this was what i said "their good for off road rally. but not for daily driving." please read carefully when replying. There are numerous members here do not read carefully before replying. Just remember, not all members are from Sweden....Once again i appolize as well.

also wires MUST be done professionally to avoid burning the wires. Here in US, 55w HID kit may burn wires on cars if they are not suitable for 55w usage. I believe highbeams have higher voltage lines but adding to a 55w hid kit will increase the voltage and heat to the wires. My friend owns a Car Alarm and Car Entertainment system shop. I should know these stuff.

Last edited by AudiQ5sleeper; 12-15-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
Jeeze 'gentlemen' !

Chill out... this is not a personal attack forum...

some here sound like teenagers with their testies in a wad

Yes, some STATES have laws about lighting... for instance, here in the dfw area, lawfully, you can't have high beams on within 300 yards of another car..
and since there are 300 cars per yard here basically, you shouldn't ever have high beams on... BUT, I've never had an issue and many of my vehicles had up to 6 forward facing lights... (fyi, that's the lawful limit around here) two DRIVING lites, two headlights, and two PIAA 520's...

Our combined tow weight on my other vehicles have been upwards of 25k lbs combined weight... so I NEED to see as far as I can and have added lites on many of my vehicles..

judicious use of them is fine and lawful, so ALLOW us to make modifications to our own cars, and you can do the same....

Will probably opt for a http://www.rigidindustries.com/Off-R...-Bars-s/64.htm on my new tow vehicle - got a rigid industries light bar and driving light set as a Christmas present for my stepson's nice new Raptor last year and they work WELL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OcOJk-PdWY
and guess what - this video is drviing on the 'wrong' side of the road good luck

finally someone from the US. thanks Johnny

Quick Reply: wiring extra lights