Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Worried about buying new Q5 2.0T - carbon build-up, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worried about buying new Q5 2.0T - carbon build-up, etc.

I have some concerns about buying a new 2013 Q5 2.0T. I've done some research and it seems I could keep reading forever...

I would be grateful for member feedback on the following points:

I am most concerned about the carbon build-up issue on the TSFI engines, as I plan to keep the car indefinitely (at least 200k). How many members have had carbon issues on their Q5 2.0T's?

What other mechanical issues have come up? For instance, I have read about rough down-shifting which is "sometimes" cured by the dealer under warranty ... what else?

Very interested to hear from owners of 2011 or 2012 Q5 2.0T's
TIA
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Carbon buildup is not as much of a concern with the 2.0T as it is with the 3.2 and 4.2 engines. I don't think you'd need to clean the valves before 100K and even then, it's not the end of the world.

Other than transmission issues that you have described, oil consumption is also something to keep an eye out for.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Monza.
Would like to hear of other issues also, if any?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Monza.
Would like to hear of other issues also, if any?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I too bought my '12 Q5 with an eye to keeping it for a long time. After purchase I was reviewing the recommended fluid change on the 8 spd transmission and was surprised to find there was no recommended change interval - it's a "life time" lube. This didn't sound right to me so I wrote to ZF in Germany and was advised that they recommend fluid change between 80-120 thousand kilometres (50-75K miles) on this transmission. ZF also sent me the very particular instructions for changing this oil and I got some insight into why Audi declines to change it - it's quite a complicated process where you have to ensure the new oil going in is at a very particular temperature, among other details. I'm hoping that as my Q approaches that milestone there will be enough experience at the dealers (including GM and Chrysler which are getting the transmission under licence from ZF) that I'll have some options regarding changing the fluid.

While I sympathize with Audi regarding the additional cost and risk with having all dealers provide the expertise and equipment required to change the fluid properly I also think that they should not be allowed to get away with providing a product without also providing for the proper life-cycle maintenance of the vehicle. In Canada with our extreme winters that would include a transmission fluid change at the low end of the recommended interval provided by ZF.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

spreadsheet!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe the fluid change procedure isn't any more complicated than measuring the running temperature of the fluid through VAGCOM while filling to a specified level. The car and transmission has to be turned on and running. This has been standard procedure on VW/Audi auto trans for a while now. Nothing special to it other than the fact that you need to be connected to the ECU for the readings. I've done it on our own cars and it's not that difficult.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah I've got two B5 passats so not too phased by tranny fluid situation. I've also done mine every 60-70,000 km. Hut still eager to know of prevalent/annoying problems to look out for (eg my B5 notoriously chews through control arms and linkages). At the price if a Q5 I have lots o other options...
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vwtoys
I believe the fluid change procedure isn't any more complicated than measuring the running temperature of the fluid through VAGCOM while filling to a specified level. The car and transmission has to be turned on and running. This has been standard procedure on VW/Audi auto trans for a while now. Nothing special to it other than the fact that you need to be connected to the ECU for the readings. I've done it on our own cars and it's not that difficult.
Interesting... maybe the VW dealer next door would be the better choice if they've got more experience doing this... definitely comes off the list as an issue for Maxxx (and for sure for me).

Last edited by rez; 10-15-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: more
Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Every dealer is different. I had my Closest dealer change my trans fluid And Afterward transmission would slip out of gear when I took left turns. I estimated it was because there wasn't enough fluid, And the torque converter was being trained in the force of the turn. Or whatever. (I had provided Redline fluid and got back more bottles than I expected). Anyways I took it back they checked it and said everything was fine, but "It might be the valve body or the multifunction switch". I took it to a different dealer and Rather than pay for diagnostic told him to put 2 L in. They took the car, brought it up to temperature, and after getting it back to me said it took 1.5 L. That was over 200 K ago and the trans certainly has not needed a multifunction switch or anything else. So I understand the need for a second opinion as well as an educated self-assessment. What I wish to avoid is a problematic car, period.

Last edited by Maxxx; 10-15-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Worried about buying new Q5 2.0T - carbon build-up, etc.