Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

X3 vs Q5

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X3 vs Q5

Hey guys, was wondering if you could tell me what you think the pros/cons are of Q5 vs. BMW X3? I've had an 07 X3 for a while now it's 240k miles I'm looking to replace it. It's been pretty good to me so I'm considering another X3 maybe 2013-14 but also variety is nice, so maybe a Q5 would have the same utility but a slightly different experience. Seems to me they are just about the same in every way with only minor differences? Do you have any insights? Seems like Q5's are holding their value a little better on the used market. Are parts or labor much different between the two? Are Audi's easier/harder to work on? I would say I generally buy parts online and fix small stuff and most maintenance myself, and if there is anything very complex that would be a 4+ hour job or complex I take it to an independent mechanic. I'd probably be looking to do about the same thing as I did with the X3 and get something with 60-75k miles and drive it for about 6 years to 240k ish, the farther the better I do almost 30k a year so reliability and longevity are also major concerns for me. Ultimately, I want a nice car with the best total cost per mile possible since I drive so much. So depreciation plus the fuel cost plus maintenance and repair divided by miles.. I'm around 29c per mile total on the X3 wondering if a Q5 is likely to be significantly different? I think depreciation and fuel cost would be almost identical so really maintenance and repair would be the only variable. Is premium 91/93 octane the recommended fuel? I'm going to go test drive a Q5 Saturday to see how it drives.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Compare Acura RDX vs. BMW X3 vs. Audi Q5 U.S. News & World ...

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i vs. 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T, 2013 Land Rover ...

Old 11-22-2017, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good comparisons here. I also like U.S. New & World Report rankings, reviews etc.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

We drove both before buying the Q5. The X3 corners more enthusiastically, but the Q5 rides much better, is quieter and is more comfortable and luxurious inside. Both are nice, but we preferred the Q5's blend of attributes.

Friends of ours made the same switch you're considering and they say the Q5 is the best vehicle they've ever owned.

I've never considered keeping a German car as long as you have, but I don't work on the car myself, making that a much more expensive proposition for me. The same friends gave the X3 to their daughter, and it has continued to nickel and dime them with repairs, but is still doing OK at about 140K miles.

The biggest difference you're going to feel is the ride quality. The suspension in your version of the X3 is quite stiff, where the Q5's ride is firm, but never harsh.

HTH and good luck!
Old 11-25-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

if the target is low cost per mile then you should be looking for a lexus hybrid. Audi Q5 8R (2009-2012) tfsi has some serious problems, pistons that may fail leading to high oil consumption, (unless you haven the revised parts) and chain tensioner issue. not to mention the turbo boost leak you will also experience at some point in time. Buying a Q5 made in 2014 makes more sense since you will have a problem free Q5.

Last edited by apoelistas; 11-25-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tall driver?

I found the X3 to have inadequate headroom. You may read a longer post of this later, but I went into an Audi dealership hoping to buy an A6. After sitting in every German sedan except S-class, none accommodated my 6-4 height (6-6 with hair) without my head rubbing the ceiling, just like my prior Golf/Passat/Jettas. The same was true in the X3 and X5. Surprisingly, the X1 had sufficient headroom for me, but it gave me tunnel vision with the seat so far back.

That's how I ended up in the Q5. That said, if you're a taller driver, I was shocked to discover that the stock 2018 Q5 Prestige seats have approx 1.5" LESS thigh support than my 2006 Jetta TDI. So the summer pkg became a necessity, as it provides the sport seats with thigh extension.

Good luck! Dave

Originally Posted by Rltrdc
Hey guys, was wondering if you could tell me what you think the pros/cons are of Q5 vs. BMW X3? I've had an 07 X3 for a while now it's 240k miles I'm looking to replace it. It's been pretty good to me so I'm considering another X3 maybe 2013-14 but also variety is nice, so maybe a Q5 would have the same utility but a slightly different experience. Seems to me they are just about the same in every way with only minor differences? Do you have any insights? Seems like Q5's are holding their value a little better on the used market. Are parts or labor much different between the two? Are Audi's easier/harder to work on? I would say I generally buy parts online and fix small stuff and most maintenance myself, and if there is anything very complex that would be a 4+ hour job or complex I take it to an independent mechanic. I'd probably be looking to do about the same thing as I did with the X3 and get something with 60-75k miles and drive it for about 6 years to 240k ish, the farther the better I do almost 30k a year so reliability and longevity are also major concerns for me. Ultimately, I want a nice car with the best total cost per mile possible since I drive so much. So depreciation plus the fuel cost plus maintenance and repair divided by miles.. I'm around 29c per mile total on the X3 wondering if a Q5 is likely to be significantly different? I think depreciation and fuel cost would be almost identical so really maintenance and repair would be the only variable. Is premium 91/93 octane the recommended fuel? I'm going to go test drive a Q5 Saturday to see how it drives.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
We drove both before buying the Q5. The X3 corners more enthusiastically, but the Q5 rides much better, is quieter and is more comfortable and luxurious inside. Both are nice, but we preferred the Q5's blend of attributes.
That was exactly our experience.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by apoelistas
if the target is low cost per mile then you should be looking for a lexus hybrid. Audi Q5 8R (2009-2012) tfsi has some serious problems, pistons that may fail leading to high oil consumption, (unless you haven the revised parts) and chain tensioner issue. not to mention the turbo boost leak you will also experience at some point in time. Buying a Q5 made in 2014 makes more sense since you will have a problem free Q5.
I know this is in response to someone else's post but I've been reading a ton on the Q5 issues and have seen you post on a lot with some good information and was hoping you might be able to offer some advice to me as well.

I have a 2012 Q5 2.0T and I found the TSB referencing that 2012s were included for the oil consumption test. I had the test done and it did fail. My car was manufactured in January 2012 and the engine code is CAEB and everything I’ve been reading does show this is the engine code that had issues. However the class action lawsuit only covers 2009-2011 models and the dealership is telling me they’ll cover 75% of it but I’m wondering if there is any other info out there that will help me get 100% of the repair cover. I also called Audi of America and they said they aren’t able to help and my claim was denied because my car is not part of the lawsuit and warranty. They honestly were not very helpful at all and before they even submitted my claim they told me it will get denied but to appease me they could just submit it anyway. I have 76k miles on it so is within the 80k warranty but I’m not sure if that 80k is only for 2009-2011 models. I keep reading that Audi later added early models of 2012 Q5s. Are there any TSBs or other documents to back this up? Any info or advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Vma67720
I know this is in response to someone else's post but I've been reading a ton on the Q5 issues and have seen you post on a lot with some good information and was hoping you might be able to offer some advice to me as well.

I have a 2012 Q5 2.0T and I found the TSB referencing that 2012s were included for the oil consumption test. I had the test done and it did fail. My car was manufactured in January 2012 and the engine code is CAEB and everything I’ve been reading does show this is the engine code that had issues. However the class action lawsuit only covers 2009-2011 models and the dealership is telling me they’ll cover 75% of it but I’m wondering if there is any other info out there that will help me get 100% of the repair cover. I also called Audi of America and they said they aren’t able to help and my claim was denied because my car is not part of the lawsuit and warranty. They honestly were not very helpful at all and before they even submitted my claim they told me it will get denied but to appease me they could just submit it anyway. I have 76k miles on it so is within the 80k warranty but I’m not sure if that 80k is only for 2009-2011 models. I keep reading that Audi later added early models of 2012 Q5s. Are there any TSBs or other documents to back this up? Any info or advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
The oil consumption TPI 2026749/11 includes 2013 models. (Optimised pistons + piston rings, gradually up to week 46/2013) This is the TPI you need. (there is also a newer 2026749/12 but I have not read it because when I accessed erwin it only had the old TPI)
One has to purchase a 2014 MY Q5 2.0 tfsi (or later), for a trouble free experience.

Last edited by apoelistas; 12-04-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by apoelistas
The oil consumption TPI 2026749/11 includes 2013 models. (Optimised pistons + piston rings, gradually up to week 46/2013) This is the TPI you need. (there is also a newer 2026749/12 but I have not read it because when I accessed erwin it only had the old TPI)
One has to purchase a 2014 MY Q5 2.0 tfsi (or later), for a trouble free experience.
Thanks for the response and info to back me up. I had previously mentioned to AoA and the dealership that the TSB does include 2009-2013 Q5s but it looks like that was for the oil consumption test specifically. The TPI you mentioned.... is this for the actual repair of it if the oil consumption test fails? Excuse my ignorance but what is the TPI? Is this different than the TSB? I'm going to call again today to follow up so I just want to make sure I am stating the right info. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: X3 vs Q5