Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Are you sure your new car was not used as a demo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you sure your new car was not used as a demo?

In early December, my wife and I ordered a 2010 Q5. We were told the vehicle was enroute the USA and would arrive late December.
On December 30th, at lunchtime I received a call to say our vehicle had arrived and that we should come to pick it up around 6:00pm. Thinking that the car had just arrived at the dealership and assuming they had to 'prepare' the vehicle for delivery, I nevertheless thought that 6 hours seemed a long time to 'prepare' it as it is a very small dealership. However, I assumed that they were just being conservative and thoughtful in their timing so that I did not come to the dealership in the afternoon and wait for it. When we arrived at the dealership it was already evening. We were very quickly shown the vehicle but in a poorly lit area and hence could not see much as it was so dark. The one thing I did notice however was that the odometer read 36.2 miles.

After a one minute viewing we were ushered inside to handle the paperwork. Almost immediately the finance person tried to get us to sign a form to say the vehicle only had 10 miles on it. When I pointed out that it had 36.2 miles she 'copped an attitude' and begrudgingly prepared a new form with 36.2 miles on it.

When we finally took delivery of the car the temp tags had the previous day's date on them. All then became obviously clear. THE DEALERSHIP HAD RECEIVED MY Q5 THE PREVIOUS DAY AND THEN USED IT FOR TWO DAYS AS A DEMO CAR!!!

Needless to say, I very much hope I receive an AUDI survey questionaire!!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I am not so sure; they sometimes have to get the car drriven to the dealership from another dealership; maybe that's what happened...hopefully.

Bob
Old 01-02-2010, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

"When we arrived at the dealership it was already evening. We were very quickly shown the vehicle but in a poorly lit area and hence could not see much as it was so dark. The one thing I did notice however was that the odometer read 36.2 miles".

Would never take delivery in the dark. I would find out why the 36.2 miles on the car? Hopefully, it is as bob m says. I still would not be happy with that either.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

The dealership I purchased from has a VERY strict policy about customer cars that were special ordered or reserved. THEY DO NOT DEMO THEM. I am "ok" with 5-9km on the car as I understand the factory does some testing and the dealership also may have to work out a few bugs, but anything over that to me is a vehicle that has been test driven (What takes more than 9km to do? The car is shipped directly to my dealership. I explained this stance to the dealership when I purchased the car. I had them write it into my contract under notes.

I would likely call Audi Care and play the card for a deal on the extended warranty. You don't know who did what to the car and how they drove it. What kind of test drive did they take you on in the Q5? Was it the usual smoothe stuff all on roads, or was it all about aggressive driving?

I know for a fact the one I test drove (15km test drive the first time) has been to hell and back. I would NOT buy that demo, NEVER NEVER NEVER! The abuse the rep twisted my arm to put it through on my guided road (and offroad) tour is something I would never do to my own car, not even my truck. Having said this though, it was THAT test drive that had me sold on the Q5. Amazing technology.

Take it up with Audi Care and keep us posted how it goes.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exellent idea from GenSpec ! That too was the policy of the dealership I purchased from. Do not drive, touch,etc., Sold! car.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by manup
Exellent idea from GenSpec ! That too was the policy of the dealership I purchased from. Do not drive, touch,etc., Sold! car.
Thanks for the advice. I will take it up with Audi on Monday and let you know their response.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Happened to me when looking to buy a Scion TC (to commute in) when they first came out. Waited weeks for the car, dealer called that it was in then showed me a poorly cleaned car with 40 miles on it and brake dust on the rims. They expected me to be so excited to finally have the car that I would overlook these things. Not only that, they wanted me to take it immediately, without even having notified my insurance company. I told them to stuff the car and bought a Civic EX Coupe which served me extremely well. Maybe I should thank Crystal Toyota/Scion in Greenbrook NJ for doing me a favor. Sorry, but I would never have taken delivery of that Q5, certainly not without getting some satisfaction from the dealer BEFORE driving off the lot.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT2BLT2A6
Sorry, but I would never have taken delivery of that Q5, certainly not without getting some satisfaction from the dealer BEFORE driving off the lot.
Yea, you are like a king before you drive off the lot. If you tell them you can't take delivery on an empty stomach, they will even order you a pizza to get the deal closed.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

lol
Old 01-02-2010, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched my 2010 s5 come off the truck get uncovered and I was the first one to sit in it at the dealer. My car already had 23 miles on it at that time so I think the do some sort of testing Germany or something and then driving around at each port. Dont freak out 36 miles is nothing. ENJOY!

Quick Reply: Are you sure your new car was not used as a demo?