Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Are you sure your new car was not used as a demo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

until the car would be used off-road (what you could easily realize), there is is strictly nothing that could affect the car after a short ride of 32 miles
my car was transfered from another dealership by my salesman, and showed 75 miles, I considered this as an extended test before delivery
a demo car is a car that is loaned day after day to potential buyers, and this for monthes...
Old 01-03-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When we got our Q5 I mistakenly (and the dealer) read the odometer at 78 miles. It was really the trip odometer at 7.8 miles. Anyway the point is the car had come off the transport that morning, it even still had the protective sheeting on it. When I commented about the high odometer they said they had gotten a lot of them in recently with over 20 miles and when they questioned Audi they were told the factory was running a lot of them on the test track.

Obviously mine was only about 8 but it still shows they ran it around somewhere before they put it on the carrier to the ship then the the ship to the carrier. There's two ways to look at it; if Audi is running them on the test track they're hopefully finding any issues before delivery or the negative way to look at it is they are trying to iron out problems.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Cool out that's a normal mileage for a car. If the car had 70+ on it even then that might be normal.
PDI or Pre delivery inspection requires the Tech to drive the car at least 5 miles.
You got a full tank of gas, most dealerships don't have gas on site so there's another couple miles.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pmdaykin
Thanks for the advice. I will take it up with Audi on Monday and let you know their response.
I think you are blowing this situation way out of proportion. Do you have any proof the dealer use your car as a demo. Maybe they drove your car to get it detail and fill the tank. Maybe they needed to drive your car from another dealer or from port. 36 miles is totally acceptable, maybe the mileage certificate was wrong to start with. Sometime the business manager just put in a random number like 10 miles because for some reason they do not have access to the real mileage yet.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow! I must say, hearing the comments that 70+ miles etc... is normal for a virgin car upon delivery is something I am not familiar with. Over a dozen new cars over the past 15 years and not a one with anywhere near 70km's(not miles) from the factory. Heck my wifes civic had 50km and it came from a dealer transfer 40+ km away.

Perhaps Audi is different and does a lot of test driving or on/offloading?

I'm not trying to stoke any fires here, but I've owned New: Toyota's, Lexus, Jeeps... lot's of jeeps, Mercedes, Hondas, Acuras, a Dodge and all were virgin with ultra low KM's. I've also owned several used cars as well, but that's neither here nor there in this discussion.

I think the true question here should be, "How Many Miles/ KM's came on your Q5 when you first got it" and this question posed to all Q5 owners.

Will post pics of my odometer when it comes in. Maybe I'm off and Audi does it differently. Having said this however, 70 miles is a lot of factory test driving (think of the man hours when applied to all Audis they would have to do this with) or on/offloading from truck/ ships/ trains (still a lot of on and offloading!). Unless there is a dealer transfer this just does not fit with my experience buying new cars.

Someone else posted, that perhaps there was something wrong with the car at the factory they were trying to fix. That has both up and down sides. I'd still head to Audi Care for answers. I would imagine they would have answers as if there was something wrong with the car at the factory, would the factory not note it in their records?

I will also be bringing my camera with me when mine comes in to document everything.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out with Audi Care.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
Cool out that's a normal mileage for a car. If the car had 70+ on it even then that might be normal.
PDI or Pre delivery inspection requires the Tech to drive the car at least 5 miles.
You got a full tank of gas, most dealerships don't have gas on site so there's another couple miles.
AofC, I'd be curious to know what your dealership's average new car PDI'd ready for customer pick up has for milage. This is a geniune interest as to be honest, I built my milage request into my contract so I am curious if the dealer will be able to stay within the limits (also want to ensure the PDI is done adequately). I live in the city so gas stations are everywhere which is a good point you make + the PDI inspection miles. Still curious what the average Audi leaves the lot with. Two of the PDI Q5's I sat in (looking at S-Line Trims & MMI's only no driving!) had only a handfull of KM's. Looking forward to your throughts as you've no doubt seen many head off the lot.

Cheers,

GS
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

GenSpec,
Techically, any car that have not been title yet are consider a new car. Audi in particular does not deliever cars with more mileage than any other high end luxury cars. Compare to Toyota and Dodge maybe, from what I understand, Audi drive a random sample of their cars on a test track and go thru more testing than your average Toyota and Dodge. &0 miles on a new car can be from a combination of thing and doesnt mean the car have ben abused.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

As test driving doesn't necessarily mean abuse (it's all in the drive that is taken). Having said this, the test drive I took was total abuse (frankly it left me feeling a bit uncomfortable with what I was told to put it through but impressed with the auto). If I knew my car was test driven at the dealership, the first thing in my mind would be the drive I took.

My Lexus also arrived with low miles as did my MB's. I do like the idea of test track time however it would leave me feeling more confident if this info were disclosed to the end user so as to avoid confusion/ apprehension. Same as when your luggage is searched at the Airport in the baggage area. They leave a slip behind declaring it's been searched. Would be nice, but that's probably being too **** about it.

I hear what you are saying about the titling of the vehicle. When I was searching for a Viper I found one with 250+ miles on it never having been titled so technically it was new. Quite frankly 250 miles on an auto is not new, at least not to me, regardless of what a document states, it's been used in my eyes. In the case of the Viper and with the wear on the rubber, it was given the slap and tickle more than once.

One thing I didn't take into consideration with my original post which I should have was the distance to the gas station (I live in the city and this didn't cross my mind as we have fuel stations on almost every corner). If the closest gas station is 10 miles away then the 35 miles makes sense.

Never the less, the dealer knows to call me the moment the car is in as I want to see it come off the truck wrapped in the Audi Condom (My office is less than 1 minute from the dealership, in fact I can see it from my office paking lot). From there I'm starting it's photo journey including the milage so I can keep tabs on it. I asked to keep the Audi Condom, but apparantly they get damaged taking them off the car.

But I digress. Where were we? Oh yes... was it test driven? Who knows. I'd still hit up Audi Care and see what can be done. What's the worst they say... no deal? Then what? You're in the same position you are now except that your concearns have been documented.

Originally Posted by The G Man
GenSpec,
Techically, any car that have not been title yet are consider a new car. Audi in particular does not deliever cars with more mileage than any other high end luxury cars. Compare to Toyota and Dodge maybe, from what I understand, Audi drive a random sample of their cars on a test track and go thru more testing than your average Toyota and Dodge. &0 miles on a new car can be from a combination of thing and doesnt mean the car have ben abused.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

GenSpec, I usually ask for my new cars to be transported and considered any car that has less than 50 miles to be acceptable. I agree with you that most test drive cars are abused, but most of the car dealers I work with do not let customers test drive a car once it has been bought. So if its a incoming car for port, it goes direct from port to the prep area, not out in the show room where customers can test drive it.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Where I live (CO), the Q5's are too popular and the dealerships I went to would only allow test drives with a specific Q5 allocated for test drive/demo use. I asked to test drive another and one sales person said they couldn't because of folks not wanting too many miles logged on the car.

Mind you, I bought a Q5 with 110 miles on it and didn't think twice. I like my vehicles as virginal as the next buyer, but over the life of the car, these miles are trivial to me. (No issues yet, so I assume there's not been any abuse of the car during those 110mi).

Regardless, hope you find comfort in your purchase. Always hate to have that sour experience.

Quick Reply: Are you sure your new car was not used as a demo?