Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Are you sure your new car was not used as a demo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GenSpec
AofC, I'd be curious to know what your dealership's average new car PDI'd ready for customer pick up has for milage. This is a geniune interest as to be honest, I built my milage request into my contract so I am curious if the dealer will be able to stay within the limits (also want to ensure the PDI is done adequately). I live in the city so gas stations are everywhere which is a good point you make + the PDI inspection miles. Still curious what the average Audi leaves the lot with. Two of the PDI Q5's I sat in (looking at S-Line Trims & MMI's only no driving!) had only a handfull of KM's. Looking forward to your throughts as you've no doubt seen many head off the lot.

Cheers,

GS
Ah sure thing. Our techs do a 5 mile loop, exactly. It's another 2 mile round trip to the gas station we use. That's a minimum of 7 miles right there for our store. Those numbers may vary. Our previous gas station when i started was 4 miles round trip. The real variation is the miles on the car when it comes in and what it needs in terms of road test before it's through PDI. For example we had a pair of A5 Cabs come in with bad tires. Those cars got an extra 40 miles put on them testing out the tires. Cars can be driven at port or at the factory. For example an R8 has nearly 80 miles on it when it comes in from the factory.
Low end of the scale, would be 8-9 miles. Quality control leads to miles. Average mileage I see for cars that have been PDI'd, gassed, etc is around 25. That's going to vary based on dealership. I've read posts where the car was obviously not driven for PDI and only had 9 miles on it. Personally I'd be mad my car was not given a shake down.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I realized after the purchase my Q5 probably WAS USED AS A DEMO !!!

I think I made a big mistake when we went to pick up the Q in the evening- I did noted 68 miles on the ODO, but when I asked why so many miles they were unable to say- why the sales man said: " If I drove it from anther dealer it would be a lot more...", so I took a "test drive" to a closest gas station o.5 miles away, and it drove fine, so we took the car. Afer the purchase I realized that they were the original dealer.
Next morning after I got in to Q5 I saw a little "smudge" on the A-pillar, but it did look (still looks) like a mechanic left it.
I think I now understand what is happening: the dealer uses a new (not pre-paid/ordered )car as a demo for 2-3-4-5 days, so the car would not accumulate too may miles, then they sell it as a "new" car.
This way they avoid depreciation they would otherwise incur on a vehicle used as a true "demo" model, because a "demo" will not be sold for the same as new.

PS
two weeks after the purchase I went to install back-up/parking sensors, and the installer noted a small scratch on the lower edge of the bumper - when I said " I don't know how she (DW) got this scratch" the guy replied: "it probably was not her, you would not believe what we see on the new cars dealers bring here".

PPS

the dealer I bought Q5 from was Bell Audi NJ
Old 01-06-2010, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hmn4858
To top it off, when I went to pay my sales tax in MA they told me I had to pay tax on the full amt and not on the sales price minus the trade-in since they weren't a registered dealer with MA.
I live in MA as well, I did not know that you have to pay full amount if you buy out of state. Did you ever get the difference back in the sales tax? Also, do you know is some of the dealers in surrounding state such as NH are registered dealer with MA? I had friends that bought cars from NH and never had this problem.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pmdaykin
Thanks for the advice. I will take it up with Audi on Monday and let you know their response.
OK, so yesterday an Audi Representative called me. He asked me to explain exactly what happened and I told him. I also added that I had found dirty, child size, hand prints on the rear seats and a candy wrapper hence I even more convinced that the dealership had used my vehicle as a demo car for two days particularly as the temporary tags we dated the day before (i.e. Dec 29th) I picked it up (i.e. evening of Dec 30th).

He gave me a big explanation about how the vehicle may have required delivery from a nearby dealership or drop off point which may have accounted for the 'extra' miles. When I said "But shouldn't you know such information?" he said he did not know individual dealership's procedures for procuring/delivering vehicles. Interesting though that he used the term 'extra' miles - which leads me to believe he acknowledged that 36.2 miles was excessive for a new car delivery.

In the end all he could assure me was that he would note my comments for future reference and send them to the dealership. He did not offer any 'compensation' of any kind.

Needless to say, I am still hoping I receive an Audi survey when I can assure you I will reflect my dissatisfaction with the situation.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I live in MA as well, I did not know that you have to pay full amount if you buy out of state. Did you ever get the difference back in the sales tax? Also, do you know is some of the dealers in surrounding state such as NH are registered dealer with MA? I had friends that bought cars from NH and never had this problem.
The other cars I have purchased have been from CT and I had no issues. Supposedly out of state dealers can be registered with the state and that would rectify the issue. I don't understand what difference it makes besides another way to screw residents. I think if I had bought in any New England state I wouldn't have had an issue.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He gave me a big explanation about how the vehicle may have required delivery from a nearby dealership or drop off point which may have accounted for the 'extra' miles.
Is it common practice for a dealer to accept vehicles for another dealership? They always come up with something. Nobody knows where it came from. Once I bought a used vehicle from a large dealership in Houston. When I brought the car home we noticed a big dent on the underside that wasn't visible on the lot. They agreed to repair it at no cost since they sold the car saying it hadn't had any accidents/damage etc. Well, when I went to pick it up from the repair I found a can of mango juice with hot pink lipstick on the back floor. I confronted the manager about it and he just shrugged said I dunno we sent it out to another body shop to have it repaired.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

. When we arrived at the dealership it was already evening. We were very quickly shown the vehicle but in a poorly lit area and hence could not see much as it was so dark. The one thing I did notice however was that the odometer read 36.2 miles.

After a one minute viewing we were ushered inside to handle the paperwork. Almost immediately the finance person tried to get us to sign a form to say the vehicle only had 10 miles on it. When I pointed out that it had 36.2 miles she 'copped an attitude' and begrudgingly prepared a new form with 36.2 miles on it.

When we finally took delivery of the car the temp tags had the previous day's date on them. All then became obviously clear. THE DEALERSHIP HAD RECEIVED MY Q5 THE PREVIOUS DAY AND THEN USED IT FOR TWO DAYS AS A DEMO CAR!!!

Needless to say, I very much hope I receive an AUDI survey questionaire!!
I am pretty sure our Q5 was used as a demo-I was looking for a specific colors/package combo and the dealership said they did not have Q5 I wanted, but they offered me different package. I refused different package, so they came out with the proper package in the different color, which we said would be OK. so we went there Fri night, the car was inside the dealership where they have cars before they go to the shop, there was enough light.
I did note the mileage was 68 miles, and when I asked the salesman why so many miles he relied: "If I drove it from another dealer it would have been even more". The Q5 looked OK otherwise, so we said we would take it. I rode it with salesman driving to the gas station ~0.5 miles away, there was no problems, and we signed the papers.
Next morning I noted a small dirty "smudge" on the inside of left A-pillar, called salesman he said: "when you come for service we will detail it don't worry".
When I looked at paperwork later I saw that the selling dealer got the car from the port, so they did not drive it from another dealer.
I believe that the dealer uses different cars as demos, does not allow too many miles on any particular car, so all of them can be sold as "new", instead of using just one car as a "demo", which they cannot sell as "new" anymore and would lose money on a "demo" car.

PS
I am not concerned as much as the original poster, because we test-drove the Q5 the way we usually drive, the dealer in that area seem to have their "test-drive routes", I don't believe any car can be "destroyed " in 68 miles even of aggressive driving,
however I never got any answer to why there was 68 miles in the first place, and thast bothers me becasuse it shows dishonest sales practices...
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad my dealership is 100% customer focused. They called me the day before it arrived, asked if I wanted to see it come off the truck and offered to set up the bluetooth/keys/MMI settings for us. My car had 11 miles when we got it and 5 coming off the truck. They have gas onsite also.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
I'm glad my dealership is 100% customer focused. They called me the day before it arrived, asked if I wanted to see it come off the truck and offered to set up the bluetooth/keys/MMI settings for us. My car had 11 miles when we got it and 5 coming off the truck. They have gas onsite also.
same here. I actually had to leave my car at the dealership for another week when it came in early from port, because I was just leaving on a business trip.
got back, picked up the car, only 7 or 8 miles on it and they took plenty of time to explain a ton of features. couple of days later the salesguy called me to see how I was liking the car and if I had any new questions. pretty good
Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was intrested in a Q5 that already stayed for some monthes in the show-room, and there were some evidences of that (silver nappa seats was a little spoilt by the many prospects)
when I said I would buy the car if perfectly cleaned, the salesman proposed me to get a strictly same car that still was waiting on the parking of the import company
as I was concerned by the 19"-rims that equipped the car, he offered me a short ride with it, but I declined
I think this is business as usual...

Quick Reply: Are you sure your new car was not used as a demo?