Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2014 vs 2018 seat comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 vs 2018 seat comfort?

Traded my 2014 Prestige SQ5 in for a 2018 Prestige SQ5. Just got back from our first road trip with it, and found that the seats are HUGELY less comfortable than the 2014 seats. Not sure why that was, sport seats in both vehicles, but it is likely that we will not do another Audi with sport seats if they are the same as the SQ5. Very disappointing. Will likely cause me to trade in the Audi for something else much sooner than I would normally go through the hassle.

Am I the only one that feels the 2018 sport seats are extremely uncomfortable? Will definitely no recommend an Audi with sport seats to any of our friends.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I think the sports seats are smaller, hence why less comfortable.
I moved on from a Q3 with sports seats and found them to fit really well but now with the Q5's sports seats I am always trying to find a comfortable position.
Has my bum grown ??? Or did Audi have a bunch of spare *A1 sports seats needing new homes.

* the A1 is the smallest vehicle in the Audi range, may not be available in every market.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:50 PM
TYJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the contrary, I find my ‘18 Q5 sport seats to be among the most comfortable seats I’ve had in many many vehicles. Everyone is different and therefore comfort is very subjective.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TYJ
To the contrary, I find my ‘18 Q5 sport seats to be among the most comfortable seats I’ve had in many many vehicles. Everyone is different and therefore comfort is very subjective.
I get that. But the 2018 seats are dramatically less comfortable than the 2014 seats.... Glad you like yours, but I will shift vehicles from Audi.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Sydney - Australia. Been keeping the Pacific and Indian oceans apart since 1788
Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TYJ
Very true, and every new model Audi produces is different from the last version but not always for the better in some aspects.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TYJ
^^ I agree 100% with this statement.

every"body" is different. That's what test drives are for.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 235 Posts

I find the seats not cushy enough. I wanted the ventilated seats but to get them, you had to get a different seat, I think the sport seats,, but when they dug into my legs. Like I was too wide. (I am big, but not that big) for that reason, I did not get the ventilated seats. Even the regular seats are a bit to stiff for me. Nothing that is a deal breaker, but I wish I had more cush.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

My 2018 Q5 Prestige warm weather seats are stiff...very stiff. I got a great deal so I accepted the trade off. I then had a custom made seat cushion so I’m fine with it and luv my Q5. Wife wants one on her side, cuz after sitting on my cushion, switching out to the stock seat really accentuated the bench like, stiff feel of the stock seat.

If one likes or prefers seats that have less cushon effect, then I can understand some finding such seats comfortable. Similar to finding more comfort sleeping on a firm mattress than one that is less firm. But having test driven many brands, and a couple versions of the Q5, I’ve got to say the Audis seats were consistently less comfortable than BMWs, Benz, and the Volvos (referring to the seat ..not the back, or the overall shape and size, quality, and durability). Some were night and day more comfortable. Appreciated my salesperson’s candor in expressing that seats are a bit firmer than prior years seats. We got into into her 2016 Q5 to drive me to another part of the dealers lot for more test drives and I/we noticed the difference right away.

Some here have commented that different production runs might be in play, referring to different seal materials or the like that may account for a variation in seat comfort. I suppose that is possible.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tomb01
Traded my 2014 Prestige SQ5 in for a 2018 Prestige SQ5. Just got back from our first road trip with it, and found that the seats are HUGELY less comfortable than the 2014 seats. Not sure why that was, sport seats in both vehicles, but it is likely that we will not do another Audi with sport seats if they are the same as the SQ5. Very disappointing. Will likely cause me to trade in the Audi for something else much sooner than I would normally go through the hassle.

Am I the only one that feels the 2018 sport seats are extremely uncomfortable? Will definitely no recommend an Audi with sport seats to any of our friends.
Give your new seats some time to settle and break in. I was in the same position, moved from 2016 q5 (family) and 2016 S5 (my dd) into 2018 SQ5 with diamond stitched seats. Test drive was fine, but surely I was concerned about other things than the seats at the time, it was short as well, but I knew I wanted SQ5 anyway. Then the shock came after my first 1 hour drive. I initially hated it, but then decided to give it a try. We went on a long trip and I gradually got used to these seats. Now after 3k miles it is ok, but I admit it is the only negative bit about this car. The seats are harder than S5 and Q5 (sport seats) I had before. I think stitching makes them harder and it takes time to loosen up. The back of the seats is the same, lumbar support is not as strong as I wanted. When my butt gets tired I jump in our family Buick Enclave and enjoy cushy seats. We abused Q5 on long trips along East coast previously, but I won't recommend anyone to do it because of the hard seats. Audis should be used as dd or sport vehicles only, in my view.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TYJ
When I purchased my Q5 my salesman had me specifically sit in the different seats especially the sport seats. Both of us are fit and height weight proportionate, however the dealership had more than one customer return their vehicle because the sport seats caused them pain and were too tight. I have the standard seats in my premium plus and I found them firm at first, and better now. For me it took about a week to get the seat adjusted to a comfortable place and I found that once I got the seat adjustment much more level than usual and not tilted back the whole seat was much better. I think I had to go online for that info. With every other vehicle I have owned it was a quick adjustment on the first day, not so much the Audi.

Quick Reply: 2014 vs 2018 seat comfort?