Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Audi SQ5 Tuning - DTE / DTUK module

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
There seems to be no "documented" concept of the mapping. #1 gives you a lot of gains at the bottom end. I'm running #1 +3 for the boost settings (they go from -3 ->0 -> +3). That gives you a really aggressive kick in the 2500 RPM range which makes this a blast to drive.

The notes I got from DTUK was "try each one, and see which works best for you". Not very helpful though..... It's possible that they don't know since they white label the DTE product.
I own DT Power, the US distributor for DTUK. I can tell you we do know how the power is distributed. We are more than a white label for DTE. DTUK specializes in tunes for the UK market and I have a USDM specific tune that people are loving right now. Yes DTE provides the hardware, but our maps are our own. You can PM me here for more info or contact me through my website at dt-power.com.

To answer the question about regarding the meaning of USDM. It does mean United States Domestic Market. My experience is that there is a different tune on the cars sent over to this market from Audi. Most likely to address the different fuel and emissions requirements here vs those in the UK. As that is the case, I spent quite a bit of time finetuning a map for my own personal 2018 S4. I have this tune on about a dozen cars so far and the response has been resounding. The maps from the UK work well, but my map is specific to the cars here. It gets the power down sooner and makes the gear transitions extremely smooth. I have a background in tuning that goes back to the UTEC days. I can tell you that back then, piggyback tuners sucked. ECU was the way to go for drivability and even distribution of power. My map applies that same feel through a piggyback.

I hope that answers some of the questions.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

The difference between old vs new piggybacks is in the ECU operation. Modern vehicles can run a closed loop O2 system 100% of the time thanks to direct injection. So it's easy for a piggy back to just add more boost, which causes the MAF to see more airflow, and the ECU applies more fuel. In the "old days", closed loop was only used at part throttle which made the piggyback rather inferior.

So enlighten the class about what each of the three maps do! I don't know why this needs to be so secretive.....

I am calling you out on the "and makes the gear transitions extremely smooth" comment. Transmission shift pressures (which controls smoothness) are governed by the TCM with input from the ECM. At no time could a piggy back boost controller influence shift feel. The only thing you could do is drop boost pressure at redline for those high RPM shifts to make them less harsh. Any lower RPM shifts cannot be changed.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

The difference between old vs new piggybacks is in the ECU operation. Modern vehicles can run a closed loop O2 system 100% of the time thanks to direct injection. So it's easy for a piggy back to just add more boost, which causes the MAF to see more airflow, and the ECU applies more fuel. In the "old days", closed loop was only used at part throttle which made the piggyback rather inferior.

So enlighten the class about what each of the three maps do! I don't know why this needs to be so secretive.....

I am calling you out on the "and makes the gear transitions extremely smooth" comment. Transmission shift pressures (which controls smoothness) are governed by the TCM with input from the ECM. At no time could a piggy back boost controller influence shift feel. The only thing you could do is drop boost pressure at redline for those high RPM shifts to make them less harsh. Any lower RPM shifts cannot be changed.
The difference in the three maps is where and by how much in the rpm range the boost is increased. There are also changes in the signal speed between map one and the USDM map 3. The shift transition while running a piggyback can absolutely be controlled by the signal speed to the ECU so that when the shift happens at any range, it can properly adjust the boost level so it doesn't go from full boost to none during the transition. One of the main complaints about the UK version of the file was that the gear shifts were abrupt and the car wasn't as smooth to drive as it was in a stock configuration. I changed the way the boost is requested and sped up the signal to help this out. Because the mapping is proprietary and every piggyback tuner out there (for now) is running off the same 3 sensors, I wont post my mapping here. I hope you can respect that.

I'll chalk up the way I understood your post as to the feel and intent of a conversation that gets lost through text. Hopefully you didn't mean that as adversarily as I read it. We're all here to have a friendly conversation. No keyboard cowboys needed here.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ibu11et
The difference in the three maps is where and by how much in the rpm range the boost is increased. There are also changes in the signal speed between map one and the USDM map 3. The shift transition while running a piggyback can absolutely be controlled by the signal speed to the ECU so that when the shift happens at any range, it can properly adjust the boost level so it doesn't go from full boost to none during the transition. One of the main complaints about the UK version of the file was that the gear shifts were abrupt and the car wasn't as smooth to drive as it was in a stock configuration. I changed the way the boost is requested and sped up the signal to help this out. Because the mapping is proprietary and every piggyback tuner out there (for now) is running off the same 3 sensors, I wont post my mapping here. I hope you can respect that.
So is there any change to throttle response? The laziness of D off the line is getting old, I like S but then it won't ever go into top gear, which sucks for economy.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

@ibul11t: I never ask for the maps, but your response is still as vague as it comes. You are remapping and reselling a product, but you won't even tell us where the power bands are. Every other performance product I've purchased would show the different dyno plots to indicate the changes.

The piggy back does nothing more than gives the ECU a lower boost signal at a specific RPM from what the sensor is giving. It stops the ECU from opening the waste gate, and allows intake pressure to build higher than the ECU is expecting. MAF sensor + closed loop O2 take care of adding in the extra fuel to keep the AFR in check. There is nothing that controls shift points, there is no "communication" between the DTUK and the ECU, it's just a MAP and TMAP pressure. The crank input allows the boost pressures to be tailored for different RPMs (higher gain at the bottom end, lower gain at the high end - aka the tuner's proprietary tune.) Unless you can show us a different part number for the US ECU and the rest of the world, I'm calling BS to that comment as well. Sorry, don't want to sound like a d*ck, but your post sounds like a shameless plug for your company and why it's better to do through you than the original source....

I have a similar 3-sensor product on my BMW from Active Autowerke. These guys have been tuning BMW's for 30+ years, and I talked to the guy doing the tuning. They have no control over transmission shifts since it's just spoofing a signal to the ECU. I would LOVE to hear how you can pull that off though. Prior posts show that you just started to resell this last year with no prior experience with the DTUK product. Maybe I should get you in touch with AA so you can school them how to do it right?

I own a company that designs replacement ECU's for the powersport industry. I understand EFI, tuning, fuels, etc. Your turn....

@augerpro : There isn't a change to the throttle response. That's governed by the ECU (it's drive by wire, so they make it non-linear for D to save fuel).
Old 03-03-2018, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

It sounds like you have this all figured out. When is your tuner coming out?

I do offer an item called a pedalbox that changes the way the drive by wire system translate the throttle input to the car. Here is a little blurb about it I wrote. There is also plenty of positive feedback on it out there.

The pedalbox changes the signal sent to the drive by wire system based on pedal position relative to throttle input. When I first read about what the pedalbox did, I politely said "No Thank You" I can modulate the pedal on my own. If I want more throttle than the pedal position is giving me, I'll just push it in further.

I found a few things when testing one out.
  • The pedalbox modulates throttle faster than I can mechanically
  • Over time the ECU learns that you are going to be asking for more throttle and changes the way it doles out the power. This does help with the dreaded lag and it reduces more and more as the ECU learns. It does not alleviate it totally, but it definitely helps.
  • I got better fuel mileage because I was able to drive the car in "D" without the ridiculaous lag and still get the stop/start (if you want that) or at the very least, you can take advatage of the more economical upshifts.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I own a company that designs replacement ECU's for the powersport industry. I understand EFI, tuning, fuels, etc. Your turn....
I'm not going to get into a c*ck measuring contest with you. You win. I can only speak from experience, Perhaps if you quit trolling and tried one out, maybe you'd understand first hand. But I'm not going to try and out talk you on some forum. The only thing I can offer you is a 14 day moneyback guarantee to try it out and decide for yourself. Otherwise, you can play the troll game on your own. Apparently I did interpret your previous post how it was meant. I'm happy to be of service however I can.

As for dyno plots, they are on the website. Did you bother to go there?
Old 03-03-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I do have a DTUK. And like I mentioned, NOBODY posts EXACTLY what the 3 maps do. Just a bunch of hand waving of "different power here and there". Is it great? You bet, works awesome! Highly recommend it to anyone that wants some quick and dirty power. Did I check your dyno plot? Yup. No clue what it means since it has 5-7 unlabeled colored lines (more hand waving).

My issue is you jumped onto this thread to plug your company, and are spewing is 100% snake oil. You are playing on the ignorance of the people here since they cannot confirm or deny your so called "facts". The DTUK reads in analog MAP/TMAP values, and scales them down based on RPM. That's it, no communications, no shift point adjustments, nothing. Any "harsh shifts" is caused by higher than OEM torque at the transmission since the ECM/TCM isn't expecting it.

No offence, but really, WTF is a USDM? It's NORTH AMERICA. Why not the US commercial market then? I really doubt Audi ships special tuned vehicles to the US, and the reset of the world gets different ones.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you dont' believe there is different mapping in the US market than the UK and Europe, why do they get an efficiency mode and the US doesn't? I can tell you that I work hand in hand with Andrew at DTUK. He refers US customers to regularly. I am not badmouthing DTUK. We are friends before we are business associates. Take it down a notch man. I have quite a few customers out there with my tune and to an individual they have been thoroughly impressed, even when they didn't expect to be..I respect you and your opinions. But really man, why are you taking such a mean tack here? Take it easy man.

Edit... Since you have a DTUK tuner, send it to me. I'll put my map on it for free and even pay the shipping back to you just to see what you think. Just let me know what map you want it flashed over. I'm willing to put my time and money where my mouth is. PM me for the address.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Ibu11et, I have to say I’m seeing Wires’ point. Essentially no answers, no explanation, just plug it in and trust what we are doing. If you don’t like that send the unit to you and you'll send a super special map.

It may be a great product, and the site designer did a good job, but the rest of the team isn’t providing the information wanted.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi SQ5 Tuning - DTE / DTUK module