Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Audi SQ5 Tuning - DTE / DTUK module

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

We have beat this subject to death. Taking a vendors Dyno numbers as gospel is a big leap of faith, IMO. They are almost always done in the most favorable conditions to produce the best results and may not result in a tune that works in the real world. I have defended ibu11et to some extent because it would appear that he is bashed unnecessarily and held to a higher standard than the other sources for an Audi tune. If he doesn’t produce I’m out nothing since I got his tune for free and he won’t last long if he’s “spewing 100% snake oil” as you accused him! Bashing serves no useful purpose. I’m here to learn and pass along info if I can help.
I don’t really care that the BMW tuners provide more data unless they are offering a tune for Audi. It’s nice to have more factual data and charts but it’s still just marketing info for most users. Hype vs results-I’ll take results every time.
Frankly I bought my DTUK after I saw Wdimageneer bought one. I’ve followed some of his posts and consider him a “Super User”-short on bragging and long on some technical, complex project mods. Hope he will chime in sometime with some of his results.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

Below is my post that he directly quoted. Apparently he knows what that information is, but won't share it (in my world, that's considered "not knowing the answer"). My day job is designing embedded systems for tuning EFI systems. I understand the engineering, and I know how the product works as well as the limitations. When a seller starts making outlandish claims (talking about "speeding up and slowing down" analog voltages -- which makes no sense from the engineering side), and fails to provide the knowledge they "claim" they know, that my friend is "selling snake oil" and belongs with those $19.95 TV commercials for "Made for TV".

Love to see those dyno plots that are going to prove me wrong....
Quote:
"Originally Posted by Wires There seems to be no "documented" concept of the mapping. #1 gives you a lot of gains at the bottom end. I'm running #1 +3 for the boost settings (they go from -3 ->0 -> +3). That gives you a really aggressive kick in the 2500 RPM range which makes this a blast to drive.

The notes I got from DTUK was "try each one, and see which works best for you". Not very helpful though..... It's possible that they don't know since they white label the DTE product."

Ibu11t:

I own DT Power, the US distributor for DTUK. I can tell you we do know how the power is distributed. We are more than a white label for DTE. DTUK specializes in tunes for the UK market and I have a USDM specific tune that people are loving right now.

Last edited by Wires; 03-10-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates here? Dyno run results, boost levels for the programs, etc.?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-18-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tmkhum
Any updates here? Dyno run results, boost levels for the programs, etc.?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,
I'm can’t be much help but I exchanged a little info with Aaron last weekend. I’m guessing he won’t be back until he has the info on Boost and a Dyno if he can get it. He attempted to get some of the Boost info from the original tuner and was unsuccessful. He did attempt some Dyno runs a week ago but they didn’t have much luck. The Audi Quattro electronics kept throwing codes and shutting him down. I think he’s buying a boost gauge to measure it on his own.

I’ve been running his program on mine since Tuesday but pretty much city driving with occasional opportunities to get aggressive. The first day I had one erratic shift but I’ve been unable to duplicate it in the exact same conditions. Assume the TCU adjusted to the changes. I am running taller gears around town now than I was stock or in Program 1. I can’t find anything negative, it shifts down two or three gears smoothly if you give it full throttle. His tune is definitely stronger than stock and eliminates the slight lag. It’s linear so I haven’t had the huge power surge that I experienced with Program 1 +3. In a way I liked the “Rush” with that program but it wouldn’t work for my wife. As I mentioned there was also surging at high speed in program 1, a minor point. I drove 900 miles before I hit a hill and just the right conditions running cruise control.
It would be fun to do a side by side with two SQ 5’s or better yet hit the track and do timed comparisons. I really like the DTUK running Aaron’s tune so far. It performs more like stock but with more power. No regrets for me.
I’m taking my truck on a trip and won’t be back for 2 weeks. When I return I’ll install the Pedalbox. I wanted to get a feel without it before adding another feature.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ron summed it up perfectly.

I did put the car back on the dyno and experienced pretty much the same thing on a mustang dyno that I did on a dynapak dyno. You can get in like 3 good pulls and then all heck breaks loose. There is no real dyno mode in this car and I have dynamic suspension and the sport differential. This seems to be the bane of my existence on the dyno. It starts throwing every error in the books. Pre-sense error (even with it turned off) sport differential, auto start stop, auto braking, suspension errors & even an airbag error for good measure. Then it goes into limp mode and the only thing that clears it all is driving around on the street for about 25 km.

This being the case, I will try one more time with everything in comfort mode except the engine and see what happens. It's a little pricey every time I have to throw this up on the dyno since I don't own one and this is literally the only thread where people are as belligerent about a dyno. If that doesn't work, I will move on without it. I am waiting for my boost gauge to be delivered tomorrow. I'll see what I can do to get it installed this week and log some results. My best guess is that the 0 setting is about 5-6 lbs over stock and each +/- setting adds about 1/3lb per setting, but I am not sure. When we program this box, we are dealing with resisting the millivolt reading from the sensor back to the ECU, so it's not a direct correlation to boost pressure. You don't just tell it "I want 4 lbs more boost" and you're off to the races. You have to see what the millivolt reading is and adjust that down to the ECU and see what the reaction is.

This is the best I have for now. I don't know how much more time I'll spend on it. I'd love to have this stuff all side by side on the website with torque maps and the lot, but this car is fighting tooth and nail not to make that easy. I'll get back when I can. Thanks for your patience and thanks for your feedback, Ron.

Last edited by ibu11et; 03-18-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why can't you pull boost off the MAP sensor in the car and any common OBD tool?

Sucks about the dyno, cars are too damn smart for their own good. There MUST be a dyno mode though because emission testing needs that/.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Why can't you pull boost off the MAP sensor in the car and any common OBD tool?

Sucks about the dyno, cars are too damn smart for their own good. There MUST be a dyno mode though because emission testing needs that/.
You can't. The piggy back spoofs the ECU into seeing a different pressure than actual (as I listed in an above post). As far as it's concerned, manifold pressures are no different than stock. Same reason why the bar graph boost gauge on the VC looks the same stock or with the DTUK.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wires
You can't. The piggy back spoofs the ECU into seeing a different pressure than actual (as I listed in an above post). As far as it's concerned, manifold pressures are no different than stock. Same reason why the bar graph boost gauge on the VC looks the same stock or with the DTUK.
I was just jumping in to say this.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is really weird. I swear mine is running better today in several ways. It’s like the ECU and TCU have adjusted to the new program 3 after a few days. Shifts feel even smoother and it seems to have better acceleration on bottom end. The only thing I’ve done is add gas recently-same 91 Ethanol. It’s not like it was bad before but somehow it just seems even better. Maybe it’s my imagination but it’s like there is enough intelligence that “Learning Mode” is dynamic. My truck TCU will make adjustments but requires a dealer reset to start the learning mode over again. Ironically my GMC dealer just reset mine to get rid of some shifting issues and it seems to have worked. Am I dreaming?
Old 03-20-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha, I was thinking that as I wrote it, forgot that it taps the MAP as well.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi SQ5 Tuning - DTE / DTUK module