Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Engine failure at 50K

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q5 Engine failure at 50K miles

Hi,
I own a 2018 Q5. It broke down 2 weeks back while my wife was driving it with kids in the car. No dashboard warnings/signs. Just a clunking noise and lot of smoke. O got it towed to the Audi service center and they told me that a piece of motor came off and caused internal engine failure. It can happen because the bearings in the motor may have come loose. They rated it as a catastrophic engine failure and are asking 12K to replace the engine. It 50,0092 miles on it. I have owned cars from new ones to the ones with 120 K miles and never seen anything like this. We are waiting on Audi to come back to see what they can do. I never expected an Audi to break down like this. Got some weird comments from the service engineers at the dealership. Per them, its not unusual and they have seen may such Audi incidents. I called yesterday to enquire about an update on my audi that has a failed engine (I thought he might be able to recognize which one I am talking about because its just been 2 weeks I dropped it at their center), the engineer said he has hundreds of cars with this problem. ( This is at a renowned Audi dealership in Cary, NC).
I am at a loss of options as to what to do at this juncture. I certainly cannot imagine spending 12k additional on a car for which I paid through the nose. I think my family was lucky that the engine did not catch fire else anything could have happened in such cases when you have metal pieces grinding at high speed with oils and inflammable liquids around.
I got a video from the tech showing what happened. Its a large file. I will compress it an upload here.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 2018 Q5 Engine failure at 50K

Hi,
I own a 2018 Q5. It broke down 2 weeks back while my wife was driving it with kids in the car. No dashboard warnings/signs. Just a clunking noise and lot of smoke. O got it towed to the Audi service center and they told me that a piece of motor came off and caused internal engine failure. It can happen because the bearings in the motor may have come loose. They rated it as a catastrophic engine failure and are asking 12K to replace the engine. It 50,0092 miles on it. I have owned cars from new ones to the ones with 120 K miles and never seen anything like this. We are waiting on Audi to come back to see what they can do. I never expected an Audi to break down like this. Got some weird comments from the service engineers at the dealership. Per them, its not unusual and they have seen may such Audi incidents. I called yesterday to enquire about an update on my audi that has a failed engine (I thought he might be able to recognize which one I am talking about because its just been 2 weeks I dropped it at their center), the engineer said he has hundreds of cars with this problem. ( This is at a renowned Audi dealership in Cary, NC).
I am at a loss of options as to what to do at this juncture. I certainly cannot imagine spending 12k additional on a car for which I paid through the nose. I think my family was lucky that the engine did not catch fire else anything could have happened in such cases when you have metal pieces grinding at high speed with oils and inflammable liquids around.
I got a video from the tech showing what happened. Its a large file. I will compress it an upload here.
Old 09-24-2023, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm sympathetic. Some of us don't feel the audi maintenance schedule is frequent enough so we do oil, oil filter and air filter changes every 6000 miles. Which engine is your Q5? Did you buy it new? These cars are known for having issues if they've been run low on oil or with extended oil change intervals. I have had a few friend buy used audi's and I always advise if buying one used, by the extended warranty because it is hard to know how a prior owner treated a car, even if the service records are available.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

US MY18 Q5 (B9.0) 2.0T would be the DAYB engine. Similar to the CYMC engine used in the B9 A4 and B9 A5. It was only used that one year before changing to the DJYA engine for MY19 and MY20. No idea what's actually different between them all, the "specs" are all the same.

Definitely sounds like something very unusual. I would think "it's not unusual" is them trying to blow off the oddity of it. Though you might check the B9 Q5 (aka Mk2 Q5) forum just to be sure they haven't seen that kind of engine death before. There was the major issue with the B9.5 DPVA (Q5 Gen4 2.0T) engine and major failure due to bad rods contaminating the oil and trashing engines. I suspect they might be referencing this issue. But it shouldn't be relevant to a MY18. Unless there's more going on than Audi has let owners know. And the MY18 CWGD (3.0T) rocker arm mess.

AoA pays for a new motor and you have to cover the dealership labor to install it, I wouldn't be surprised. That AoA should supply and cover the installation of a refurb engine, well, we can dream. That AoA tells you to blow off, don't be shocked.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The dealership said "it's not unusual?" Give me a break - a total engine failure at 50k miles on a 2018 modern vehicle. They're downplaying the problem It's definitely unusual and would keep the pressure on the dealership. I also get my Q5 serviced at this Cary, NC location until I switched to Black Forest Technik, an independent mechanic.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vikasha2003
Hi,
the engineer said he has hundreds of cars with this problem. ( This is at a renowned Audi dealership in Cary, NC).
I call BS on this dealership comment. No dealership has hundreds of cars with failed engines sitting there and would not even have hundreds of cars in for service in total except perhaps Audi San Diego
The following 3 users liked this post by atlanta A6:
brian_tii (09-27-2023), Harplayr (09-27-2023), rennen-affe (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

UPDATE From AUDI--

So the dealership called and said that Audi has agreed to cover 60% of the cost. That still leaves me with 4K to shell from my pocket. I called Audi customer service and got a case opened. They said the offer was a join Audi-Dealer offer approved by the Areas Sales Manager and that's the best they can do. I asked about the reason for the failure but there is none provided as of now. No diagnostics, No reports from the sensors etc. just a video where the tech says that he found metal in the oil filter and saw a metal part come off the motor which blew a hole in the engine.
I read exactly the same issue reported by another user a few months back and it looks like 2.0T engines have some known issues. This was my first Audi and would be my last one. I am selling this as soon as I get it repaired. More than the financial impact, I am worried about my family's safety. There are much better cars available for the kind of money Audi is asking for. Moreover, they are not taking responsibility for such an obvious manufacturing fault. Again, the car is up to date on service, No warning signs, and 50,092 miles on it ( just 92 miles over 50K warranty period).

The other user with same issue:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post25788974
Old 09-27-2023, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

VW / Audi uses a lot of these EA888 gen 3b engines in a lot of different cars. I’m sure a few have had issues but I really doubt it’s as common as they implied. My dealer indicated the opposite and said the 2018+, outside of a few they saw for the recall, had been really solid as far as the engine and transmission goes. Especially the transmission, apparently had only seen one go bad and that was one that hadn’t ever been serviced. They didn’t have as much nice stuff to say about some of the other engines though, specifically the early ea888 before the gen 3b which has for sure been very problematic.

If you do jump brands just be aware others have had some issues too. The Lincoln/ Ford 2.0 liter Ecoboost has had massive problems with the head gasket due to a design flaw in the block. BMW has had lots of timing chain issues with their 4 cylinder turbo, though I think they have them solved by now. I’ve heard of a few GLE / GLC 4 cylinder turbos with catastrophic failures as well. Lexus / Toyota is probably your safest bet.

If you’re able to post the video to YouTube or something I’d be interested to see it.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 159 Likes on 109 Posts

Autopark audi in Cary?

this is also my dealership and I have not been impressed. Every time I go it’s a different service advisor and they never seem to think outside the box. The turnover of staff worries me. They have also told me incorrect information more than once. I just expect more. Black Forest Technik is infinitely better.

Glad to hear AOA is going to pay for part of the repair costs but I would really like to know the failure point?

Last edited by toomanymc; 09-29-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vikasha2003
Hi,
My 2018 Q5 broke down end of August with catastrophic engine failure. I had just taken it in for the 60,000 mile service less than a month prior. The dealership was the only one who ever has worked on my vehicle. I am still waiting on my replacement engine 4 months later. They are apparently backordered. Is there a bigger issue going on here?
The following users liked this post:
Holbeck (04-15-2024)

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Engine failure at 50K