Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Engine failure at 50K

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainsCalling
My 2018 Q5 broke down end of August with catastrophic engine failure. I had just taken it in for the 60,000 mile service less than a month prior. The dealership was the only one who ever has worked on my vehicle. I am still waiting on my replacement engine 4 months later. They are apparently backordered. Is there a bigger issue going on here?
I'm sorry to hear that and sure seems odd... but maybe something is going on? Have you been able to get an answer regarding what the failure was? Thrown rod? Timing Chain failure leading to valve damage? Anything from them? Did you always run premium fuel?

Thanks and sorry you're going through it. 2018's had a different engine and oil than the 2019+ models. We're running thicker oil and have a different engine code. I wonder if it's hard to get this engine since they're focused on making the newer revision of it.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brian_tii
I'm sorry to hear that and sure seems odd... but maybe something is going on? Have you been able to get an answer regarding what the failure was? Thrown rod? Timing Chain failure leading to valve damage? Anything from them? Did you always run premium fuel?

Thanks and sorry you're going through it. 2018's had a different engine and oil than the 2019+ models. We're running thicker oil and have a different engine code. I wonder if it's hard to get this engine since they're focused on making the newer revision of it.
They never gave me a full answer on it, as I think they stopped investigating after they found all the metal in the filter, at least that is what they told me. I have only used premium fuel, had all my services on schedule through them, and had low mileage as it wasn't heavily driven. I called AudiUSA and they said maybe there was high demand for people needing engines, which is what sent me here. I am at their mercy until they fix my vehicle, but am trying to figure out where to go once I get it back. I do not have a ton of confidence after this, which is a shame. I really loved this car, had it custom built and intended to drive it into the ground, just not at 60k miles.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MountainsCalling
They never gave me a full answer on it, as I think they stopped investigating after they found all the metal in the filter, at least that is what they told me. I have only used premium fuel, had all my services on schedule through them, and had low mileage as it wasn't heavily driven. I called AudiUSA and they said maybe there was high demand for people needing engines, which is what sent me here. I am at their mercy until they fix my vehicle, but am trying to figure out where to go once I get it back. I do not have a ton of confidence after this, which is a shame. I really loved this car, had it custom built and intended to drive it into the ground, just not at 60k miles.
Yeah that's really odd. The good news is a new engine should have a warranty for at least a year. Engines failing at 60k miles without warning isn't really a "common" thing, but seems like a least a few here have had it happen. VW / Audi / Porsche use these engines in freaking everything though and by most accounts the gen 3b version we have is pretty reliable - if they were all falling apart it'd be ALL OVER the internet with failures. The early gen1 / gen2 versions of these engines did have ring problems and a few other things that are extremely well known. With the gen3b, I think it's likely it's fairly isolated.

What is odd is to have a complete engine failure with no warning signs at 60k miles. Typically you'd expect signs / symptoms to show up first. I wonder if it was some sort of rod bearing bolts not being completely tightened to spec or something but even that I'd expect to show up far before now. In aviation the engines most likely to suffer a catastrophic failure are "new" or rebuilt engines because of manufacturing / assembly issues are most likely to cause major problems. Middle aged engines being the most reliable. Old age engines also tend to fail slowly with lots of signs well before they really stop working. In theory at 50k - 60k miles on a car it should be in the sweet spot between infant mortality / manufacturing issues and age / usage related failures.

I'm not sure what advise to give you other than it seems really strange to me. Please do update us if you hear more about what actually went wrong internally. Did it put a hole in the engine block? Did you have knocking / bad sounds prior to complete failure?
Old 01-03-2024, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Can you give more details or a link on that? I'm reading on the forums and thought the engine changed with the 2018. As follows:
EA888 Gen-3 EVO-3 (248/252 HP) for 2018 thru 2020, then EA888 Gen-3 EVO-4 (261HP) from 2021 onwards.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Universe93B
Can you give more details or a link on that? I'm reading on the forums and thought the engine changed with the 2018. As follows:
EA888 Gen-3 EVO-3 (248/252 HP) for 2018 thru 2020, then EA888 Gen-3 EVO-4 (261HP) from 2021 onwards.
I thought it was something with bearing clearances and stuff. My engine code is a "DAYB" for my 2018 which uses a 5w-40 VW 502 / 504 spec oil. The 2019 I believe came with the "DJYA" engine code and requires the 0w-20 based VW 508 / 509 spec oil. I think the newer 2021+ are basically the DJYA engine with a mild hybrid setup to aid in start / stop situations.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 235 Posts

Hyundai and kia give you a 100,000-mile warranty on their engines. Why can't other car companies? I think Chrysler did at one time or another.
IF you had all your regular maintenance done, and don't drive like a idiot, there is no reason that this should happen.
I got rid of my 2018 before the 4 years were up just for this reason. And reading your post makes me feel better about it.
I am sorry for your predicament.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ribeye
Hyundai and kia give you a 100,000-mile warranty on their engines. Why can't other car companies? I think Chrysler did at one time or another.
IF you had all your regular maintenance done, and don't drive like a idiot, there is no reason that this should happen.
I got rid of my 2018 before the 4 years were up just for this reason. And reading your post makes me feel better about it.
I am sorry for your predicament.
To be fair it seems Hyundai / Kia like the warranty for marketing purposes and if you're unlucky enough to have one of their Theta 2 engines you're almost guaranteed to need the warranty... which if you lost an oil change receipt they'll happily say "Neglect" and send you packing with nothing. I'll never forget someone I knew with a Hyundai a long time ago going on and on about how great the car and the warranty was. He then handed me the key which was broken in half with the other half broken off in the ignition and told me to drive it. I asked "What's up with the key?" reply "Oh that's not covered under warranty". At the time I recall thinking to myself that's odd, my Lexus has 2x the milage, is older, and has never had any of these problems warranty or not. Not saying Audi is a shining star of quality, mine has had more little issues than it should, but at least I never got the "that's not covered" or felt like Audi was actively trying to deny any legitimate coverage.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 235 Posts

To be fair it seems Hyundai / Kia like the warranty for marketing purposes and if you're unlucky enough to have one of their Theta 2 engines you're almost guaranteed to need the warranty... which if you lost an oil change receipt they'll happily say "Neglect" and send you packing with nothing. I'll never forget someone I knew with a Hyundai a long time ago going on and on about how great the car and the warranty was. He then handed me the key which was broken in half with the other half broken off in the ignition and told me to drive it. I asked "What's up with the key?" reply "Oh that's not covered under warranty". At the time I recall thinking to myself that's odd, my Lexus has 2x the milage, is older, and has never had any of these problems warranty or not. Not saying Audi is a shining star of quality, mine has had more little issues than it should, but at least I never got the "that's not covered" or felt like Audi was actively trying to deny any legitimate coverage.
I have owned several Hyundai's in the past. I can only recall three warranties claims. One was for the seat belt retractor, one for the center console lid that got replaced with no questions asked. The other one was a surprise. I had my son's used hyundai towed in to the dealer because it was overheating. they called and told me it was the thermostat and it would be done the next day. When I went to get it, I pulled out my credit card and the guy said no charge, It is still under warranty. I told him it was used and purchased as a private sale and he said it was still under warranty. Now I know that is not an engine, but again, I have never had a problem with them. I assume I had more warranty stuff done, but I just don't recall.
I had a VW Diesel with 47.000 mile on it when it started to overheat. I changed the thermostat and it still overheated. I took it to the dealer and told him what was going on. He said, oh, thats probably the head gasket, that happend around 50,000. Not covered. I paid the bill and wrote to VW with my dismay and they refunded my the labor cost and all I had to pay was for the head gasket which was about 2% of the bill.
So maybe if he pushes it, he might get some relief.

The following users liked this post:
brian_tii (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

US B9 Q5 2.0T engines are:
MY18 Q5 45 - DAYB - EA888 Gen3 evo
MY19 Q5 45 - DJYA - EA888 Gen3 evo
MY20 Q5 45 - DJYA - EA888 Gen3 evo
MY21 Q5 45 - DPVA - EA888 Gen4 evo 12v MHEV
MY22 Q5 45 - DPVA - EA888 Gen4 evo 12v MHEV
MY23 Q5 45 - DPVA - EA888 Gen4 evo 12v MHEV
MY23 Q5 40 - DMSA - EA888 Gen4 b-cycle 12v MHEV

DAYB/DJYA are the Q5 version of the CYMC in the A4/A5. I presume the different engine codes are due to the different engine assembly location. Minor details differ between the Germany and Mexico engines such as the turbocharger p/n, etc. But the what/why of the DAY to DJY engine change, no idea. They are both PR TX6 engines, 06L.N. Best guess is the changes necessary for moving from 502 5w-40 to 508 0w-20. While the CYMC was unchanged into MY19 and changed only to 504 5w-30/0w-30. Why manage the two lines differently? Who knows.

The p/n for the DAYB base engine is 06L100033C; the p/n for the DJYA base engine is 06L100035F. Good ol parts.audiusa.com getting it wrong as usual, saying 033C is for MY19, at least according to Audi's own EPA applications. In either case, look at the sticker on the front of your engine and you'll know which you have, DAY or DJY.
The following 2 users liked this post by SMac770:
brian_tii (01-03-2024), Universe93B (01-03-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q5 Catastrophic engine failure at 61,000

Add me to the list of 2018 Q5 catastrophe engine failure. Cost me $14,000. Audi and Audi customer service refused any help. Couldn’t tell me why it died. I have a feeling they know and wouldn’t tell me. I’ve had 3 Audis but all thought used so Audi customer service
didn't consider me to be a “loyal” customer to help with the cost. Im livid and upside down with this piece of junk. Seeing all sorts of past class action but not for the 2018 2.0t yet. Wondering how and when….

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Engine failure at 50K