Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Engine failure at 50K

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by packardv8
Oh, the horror! It's like watching the film of the Hindenberg disaster over and over again.

As I've mentioned before, in more than sixty years of owning cars and trucks, I've never seen or heard of as many low miles catastrophic engine failures as these Audi are experiencing.

Thinking back, the infrequent engine failures on other brands I remember were usually a small part failing and while it might require digging in to replace it, rarely was the entire engine destroyed.

jack vines
Oh I don’t know. I’d argue it’s still a lot better than some. Not saying our engines are perfect, they aren’t, but I have been on forums with worse. I’ve also seen much better- BMW N52 & Toyota 2jz for example. The Pilot J35 even has a good number of folks reporting serious and significant issues, but never catastrophic… but priced high to fix.

Some examples below that I’d argue we have it far better than…
  • Hyundai / Kia Theta 2 engines are constantly blowing up
  • Mazda Rotary 13B-REW and 13B-MSP were both very failure prone early in life. The REW you were LUCKY to get 70k out of engine, turbos, and transmission. 100k on the original engine felt like the million mile club on those.
  • Ford Ecoboost 2.0L had tons of head gasket issues due to a block design flaw. Only fix is full replacement, but unlike the other two above they did at least fix the design so replacement was a truly permanent fix.
  • Hyundai 2.0L “Nu” engines with bad rings, burning tons of oil and throwing rods at 10 - 15k miles.
  • Heck even Subaru has had issues with valves, then too much rtv causing oil starvation and catastrophic failure, and most recently with blown engines in the BRZ / GR86 when cornering hard… in a sports car.
  • EA888 timing chain / tensioner on the gen2 version of our engine… 70k and lots of carnage.
  • GM 3.6 timing issues… engine has to come out assuming you caught it in time.

Overall I’m still not sure how common these failures are with our 2.0L. These engines are used in a ton of cars and the gen3 isn’t exactly known as one to have a lot of problems. I wonder if it could be related to the oil changes. Maybe the anti drain back plastic thing can get chipped and send plastic into a journal causing oil starvation? Now that I think about it, maybe I should proactively replace that guy on my next change here at 80k service and be extra cautious with handling it to make sure it all goes back straight and correctly.
Old 07-19-2024, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rowens5
Just an update to my previous post. It has been three weeks since the Q5 long block had catastrophic engine failure at 52,000 miles. The Audi of North Houston and Grapevine Audi dealer have been communicating with the Audi representative, but no resolution at this point. The time is creating a challenge and curious to hear if anyone has experience on this being an excessive amount of time or standard. More to follow regarding the outcome.
Are able to push for a cause? Or repost the video of the damage at all? Very curious to see what maybe occurring. What is odd is that 50k miles it should be well past infant mortality of badly manufactured engine parts and the overall geometry seems standard across many engines that do not fail. That makes me think something else is wearing out and failing or breaking. If we knew what it was, perhaps it could be prevented.
Old Today, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

• Hyundai / Kia Theta 2
  • Mazda Rotary
  • Ford Ecoboost 2.0L
  • Hyundai 2.0L
  • Subaru
  • GM 3.6
Are we seriously comparing the above with Audi Q5s? I haven't searched MSRPs, but at a glance those seem to be much less expensive. Buy cheap, get cheap, but Audi has been claiming to give us a higher quality product for the much higher price they charge us.

jack vines
Old Today, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by packardv8
  • Hyundai / Kia Theta 2
  • Mazda Rotary
  • Ford Ecoboost 2.0L
  • Hyundai 2.0L
  • Subaru
  • GM 3.6
Are we seriously comparing the above with Audi Q5s? I haven't searched MSRPs, but at a glance those seem to be much less expensive. Buy cheap, get cheap, but Audi has been claiming to give us a higher quality product for the much higher price they charge us.

jack vines
Got me on Hyundai.

Mazda Rotary came in RX-7s that cost MORE than our Audis if you adjust for inflation.

Ford Ecoboost was used in the Lincoln MKC the same year ours were built. A direct competitor, and yes Audi was a little more expensive, but the engine is A LOT better.

Subaru- yep the brz is cheaper.

GM 3.6 is used in their Cadillac products. Pretty sure those are competitive in price.

Also, I’m not sure Audi ever claimed a higher quality/ more reliable product. I think if they had someone would have sued for false advertising by now. I knew I was buying a VW product that would likely be somewhat of a POS reliability wise. It does drive nice, but yeah some of it is hot garbage… but the engine hasn’t exactly proven to be the main problem… at least not yet.