Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 OEM Amp location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,748 Posts

There is no outboard amp for 9VD (standard sound system) for MIB2 or MIB3; it's integrated into the J794 in the glove box.
The following users liked this post:
TDRAG97 (Today)
Old 07-13-2024, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep. That makes sense.
Now that you mentioned J794 it's all there in the workshop manual.
The amp is part of the SD Card / CD player in the glove box that integrates the amp, Bluetooth, USB input, MMI screen etc etc.
There's 3 systems available. 8RM (no external amp), 9VD (No external amp), and 9VS (B&O with external amp).
Here's all 3 system configurations from the workshop manual.
I have the 9VD probably like most people.
If anyone needs any other info then I can try dig it up. The communications workshop manual is 116 pages long.
But the best thing to do to upgrade the factory subwoofer is to simply tap off the subwoofer cable.

Last edited by jattsta; 07-13-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2024, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

8RM vs 9VD is easy to tell due to the subwoofer in the spare tire well. 9VD sub is 80A035382, https://www.ebay.com/itm/144935456669 . Here's a YT short showing the B8 Q5 (type 8R) version:

I suspect the B9 version is similar.

All the workshop manuals are on cardiagn.com, though I always advise getting your own local set downloaded from erwin.audi.com or erwin.audiusa.com, as applicable.

Note that the amp configuration for B&O / 9VS is very different for B9.0 vs B9.5. They both involve a J794 + J525 configuration, but how they are connected to each other and to the speakers differs significantly.
Old Today, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you all.,

so problem still exist with no sound coming from the MMI..

So remove the glove box, unplug the CD/SIM/SD/AMP device.. replug it and still did not help.

FYI either you have a tool to remove the SD/CD player in the glove box or what I use was those metal nail filer, stuck in the slot and wiggle the deck out

but again STILL NO SOUND.. do I have a bad deck? cd work, SD work, sim slot work.. just no sound
Old Today, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Dumb question but have you tried going into green menu and clicking on restart through there?
Or tried VCDS to see any error codes?
​codes.
How old is your car battery?

Simply unplugging and replugging the J module probly won't work. If it's fried it's fried but I highly doubt that with like 99% confidence.

Last edited by jattsta; Today at 12:21 PM.
Old Today, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you have an electrical problem, you always start with a scan for codes. Is the no sound your only issue? Is it the case for all source options? handsfree, CD, radio? The MIB2 interface otherwise works? Not sure what/if the reset action is for MIB2. Not sure how the MIB2 is toggled between "internal amp" vs "external amp" setting. Been playing with stuff?
Old Today, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jattsta
Dumb question but have you tried going into green menu and clicking on restart through there?
Or tried VCDS to see any error codes?
​codes.
How old is your car battery?
green menu?

vcds give me all speak open circuit

battery is still original since 2018. showing 12.7v directly from the battery terminal

Old Today, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I enabled green menu through Carista. You can also do it through VCDS.
Copied from another site. Select module 5F
Adaption
Check what is stored in channel 6, should be a 1 to enable this menu. Change setting and save if required.

Reboot MMI (menu button, centre button and top right of the MMI controller).

To activate green menu press and hold menu and car button at exactly the same time.
The following users liked this post:
TDRAG97 (Today)
Old Today, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
If you have an electrical problem, you always start with a scan for codes. Is the no sound your only issue? Is it the case for all source options? handsfree, CD, radio? The MIB2 interface otherwise works? Not sure what/if the reset action is for MIB2. Not sure how the MIB2 is toggled between "internal amp" vs "external amp" setting. Been playing with stuff?
- so no sound from all/any sources

- only reset I have try is 3button soft reset I know of. Also try to factory reset thru menu (telephone, radio, sound, media). But same issues remains

never use the green menu before and not sure which menu to go thru

Last edited by TDRAG97; Today at 06:01 PM.
Old Today, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jattsta
I enabled green menu through Carista. You can also do it through VCDS.
Copied from another site. Select module 5F
Adaption
Check what is stored in channel 6, should be a 1 to enable this menu. Change setting and save if required.

Reboot MMI (menu button, centre button and top right of the MMI controller).

To activate green menu press and hold menu and car button at exactly the same time.
once in the green menu. Where do we navigate to ? Where do we go to reset or reboot ?

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 OEM Amp location?