Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 -- very cold cup holder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I carry two cups in the car -- coffee in the morning in a DW Klean Kanteen -- and I use a 20oz Yeti for everything else including coffee sometimes. Both fit beautifully. Both keep hot coffee very hot, even when the mug is ice cold on the outside from these cup holders.

Can't find an answer for this so my best guess is that somehow the a/c switch is turned on somewhere underneath everything and I don't have an option to turn it off. The option for hot/cold is mentioned in the handbook but since the 2018 no longer have this, perhaps it's for Europe cars only? No clue.

Not sure I want anybody working on trying to fix this and working on the car when it's not that big of a deal to me. I'd rather have it permanently on cool vs warm I suppose. Unless Audi can tell me "oh that's an easy fix!" I'm not bringing it in. Still waiting to hear back from them.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CapCap
Can't find an answer for this so my best guess is that somehow the a/c switch is turned on somewhere underneath everything and I don't have an option to turn it off. The option for hot/cold is mentioned in the handbook but since the 2018 no longer have this, perhaps it's for Europe cars only? No clue.

Not sure I want anybody working on trying to fix this and working on the car when it's not that big of a deal to me. I'd rather have it permanently on cool vs warm I suppose. Unless Audi can tell me "oh that's an easy fix!".
Didnt mean to hijack your question. I use the cup holder all the time and haven’t found a problem like you did. I wonder if an HVAC line going to the second row under the console might somehow be leaking.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Badger56

Didnt mean to hijack your question. I use the cup holder all the time and haven’t found a problem like you did. I wonder if an HVAC line going to the second row under the console might somehow be leaking.
Not a hijack at all!

Hadn't occurred to me something could be leaking... In my mind (and I know nothing about cars!), I'm picturing the wires where the hot/cold switch should be with the wire flipped to "cold."

I do have to bring the car back for a tiny touch-up, so maybe they can take a look at it during that time.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always assumed that not getting the switch means there's no mechanism in the console to cool or warm the cupholders. The cost of the switch is nothing if you're going to install the equipment anyway.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CapCap
Not a hijack at all!

Hadn't occurred to me something could be leaking... In my mind (and I know nothing about cars!), I'm picturing the wires where the hot/cold switch should be with the wire flipped to "cold."

I do have to bring the car back for a tiny touch-up, so maybe they can take a look at it during that time.
t

Canadian Q5’s still have the hot/cold cup holder.... but it’s silver instead of the black and only one of the cup holders.

Its just all out cold? You can’t feel a breeze coming from anywhere? I guess if it was blowing underneath for some reason that’s what would happen
Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kbcanada
t

Canadian Q5’s still have the hot/cold cup holder.... but it’s silver instead of the black and only one of the cup holders.

Its just all out cold? You can’t feel a breeze coming from anywhere? I guess if it was blowing underneath for some reason that’s what would happen
It's just cold. No breeze anywhere. Like a little tiny cup-sized refrigerator.

If the 2018's in Canada have this option, then the mechanism has to still be in the car. Crazy they didn't just hook it up for the US vehicles.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 352 Likes on 276 Posts

Is your passenger one silver inside? Or just black? My SQ5 came with the heated/cooled.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wires
Is your passenger one silver inside? Or just black? My SQ5 came with the heated/cooled.
Both of them are black.