Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 X3 M or 2018 Audi SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 X3 M or 2018 Audi SQ5

which you guys prefer 2018 X3 M or 2018 SQ5?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo607
which you guys prefer 2018 X3 M or 2018 SQ5?
You will not get particularly unbiased answer here. I’d go read the auto rags and test drive them. I test drove the Macan s and glc43 and bought the sq but others have done the same and made different decisions. Regards. Ned.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to post the question on an X3 forum too for a wider range of responses.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, let's make sure no one is getting too confused because this is a good comparo topic. The X3 M is not available and won't be until 2019. That rig will have an ///M derived engine with around 450 HP and have the full ///M treatment, competing with Macan Turbo, GLC63, and a potential RSQ5. The X3 M40i is available as of last week in certain areas of the U.S and is the watered down (M-Performance) version that competes with SQ5, GLC43, and Macan S. M-Performance is like Audi S.

I was this...close to going with X3 M40i over SQ5 but the timing of delivery and higher lease cost put me into an SQ5. I would be happy with either one as they are both peak examples of the modern sporting SUV. If we're lucky, maybe one of two people have driven the X3 by now and can give impressions, but all of my considerations were based on my experience in my M235i xDrive (current daily) and what's on paper. Both the SQ5 and X3 M40i will have pretty much all the same types of options except for the digital dash in SQ5 is much more advanced, and there is no air suspension available on X3. So these two are really head to head. The big difference though is going to be the powertrain. The X3 gets their newer B58 twin scroll turbo inline 6 pumped up to 355 HP and 369 lb-ft torque. If the M40i engine and transmission behave anything like the N55 in my M235i (and they will because it is same tranny and a notably better powerplant), then the engine dynamics will be significantly better than the SQ5. They are listing it at about 200 lbs lighter than SQ5 and stating 4.6s 0-60 which is very fast. I am sure this will drive like an SUV version of my M235i which is an unbelievable car. A big difference between my bimmer and Audi is that the bimmer has a much smoother powerband with no throttle/turbo lag, that can be very noticeable in the Audi.

I would bet money the X3 will be faster in a straight line and around a track while having handling and road feel advantages. This newer generation of M-performance xDrive is built around RWD feel and handling advantages, while also retaining all weather traction. The xDrive in my M235i is the most enjoyable AWD I have ever driven. Other than some steering corruption, it drives very similar to a RWD car but I can tell in the snow/ice it is not quite as good as Subaru or Audi (comparing snow tires to snow tires). The advantages to the SQ5 will be in style, comfort, utility, and Torsen Quattro with optional sport diff torque vectoring. I view the SQ5 as the more high end vehicle but the X3 is no slouch at all. Pricing between the two are not far apart if financing but lease rates are quite different. In my situation it was $100 more per month for the BMW. So which one is the right one? Depends on what you're looking for as both are incredible vehicles.

Last edited by Transfer; 11-05-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah the X3 M is different than the X3 M40i. Careful with the wording there.

I have to agree with user Transfer that the X3 M40i will undoubtedly be quicker. I too had the N55 in my 335i coupe and it was a solid engine. Compared to the V6T in the SQ5 the N55 was a bit gutless in the higher rpm's, but exhibited less turbo lag and was more responsive. But the B58 improves on the top end feel and will be even more powerful so I'm sure it will be an overall better motor than the V6T in the SQ5.

But I think the advantages stop there. IMO the SQ5 does everything else better. Comfort, tech, interior, exterior, air suspension, etc... This is my first Audi and I like it so far. I'm at 5k miles and my only real complaint is the throttle lag.

IMO if you are more concerned about performance go with either the X3 M40i or GLC43. The Macan S is another good options but I feel like the competition has caught up with it and now Porsche needs to update it to bring it front of the pack again.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry guys,

i am talking about the M40i

i owned and Audi before and they are pretty reliable.

But never owned a bmw. Not sure how replicable the engine on the BMW will be
Old 11-06-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't there a recall for that BMW? Like there's a huge fire risk and they need to be parked outside.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got quoted almost 10% off MSRP in Dallas. Trying to see if Houston ones can beat it, but doesn't seem as likely. Not sure if the demand is just higher in Houston, but dealers do have a good amount of inventory.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by horsepower 713
I got quoted almost 10% off MSRP in Dallas. Trying to see if Houston ones can beat it, but doesn't seem as likely. Not sure if the demand is just higher in Houston, but dealers do have a good amount of inventory.
I’m in Dallas negotiating some deals but haven’t gotten 10%. Which dealer is this? Thanks!
Old 12-25-2017, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you are talking the X3 M40i I was just playing around with building it on the BMW site. Run flats blow, no carbon fiber inlays, I just stopped. I hate run flats and having to change them out blows. They are are expensive, wear out fast and ride like crap. I've had Benz, BMW's and Audi's and I'm moving from a 2013 S6 to a 2018 SQ5 Prestige and felt like the SQ% is a great blend of tech and options I wanted at a fair price. If the X3 M is different from the X3 M40i then perhaps you will have better options choices. My issue with BMW was the service whereI live in NJ. They became arrogant and the service experience sucked. Benz service was great, but the tech started becoming out of date on the E class when I switched to the S6 in 2013. Audi service was great and I have 96K miles on my S6 and no major issues. Service was great and the fit and finish was great. My only concern is the manufacturing in Mexico. The last half dozen cars have all been built in Germany. Hoping the plant in Mexico has the quality control in gear.

Quick Reply: 2018 X3 M or 2018 Audi SQ5