Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2021 prestige seat discomfort

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 prestige seat discomfort

My 21 Q5 prestige does not allow for adjustment of the lumbar wings in the seat back or the seat bottom. I’m just wide enough that I cant wiggle down between them and they are cutting into my thighs. My MMI does not allow for any type of adjustment like on some models even though I have a Prestige. Does anyone know of a manual way to get these adjusted flatter?
Old 04-17-2021, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 101 Posts

No adjustments to the bolsters are possible.

Many here have complained about Audi’s seat design, including being uncomfortably firm, and in the case of the sport seats, a cramped seat footprint due to how narrow the bolsters are framing the seat bottom and sides. It is a seat design intended to secure the driver into the seat in a racing mode, where you want as little movement of your body when cornering at high speeds. Hence, the term Sport Seat.

Regrettably, Audi has prioritized style over comfort in its seat design...something many here thought by now, would evolve to be just the opposite.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:10 AM
Audi Q5e Driver

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm sorry the seats don't fit you all well. In my case, I like their ventilated sport seats, they fit me very well. Reality is it will be great for some and not so great for others.

It's critical to test drive the exact style seats you are purchasing before you make the choice. I understand that sometimes isn't enough to really get the feel (like on long trips) but it's the best that you can do.

When I was shopping one reason I rejected the Volvo XC60 T8 was because I couldn't get comfortable enough in the seats, the Audi Q5 and BMW X3 sport seats were much more comfortable to me.

Last edited by dcaf; 04-20-2021 at 06:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Centerfield13 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 311 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Daltonk
My 21 Q5 prestige does not allow for adjustment of the lumbar wings in the seat back or the seat bottom. I’m just wide enough that I cant wiggle down between them and they are cutting into my thighs. My MMI does not allow for any type of adjustment like on some models even though I have a Prestige. Does anyone know of a manual way to get these adjusted flatter?
when I got mine in 2018, I wanted the ventilated seats and they only came with the sports seats in the prestige. But I could not sit in them for the reasons you mentioned. The salesman suggested I try one with regular seats and it was much better, but still I find the seats in the Q5 not comfy enough, but bearable. The 2019 BMW X3 was worse, The wings were adjustable, but just not wide enough for me and I am not fat. (Well, I could lose a few pounds) That is the reason I even looked at an Audi.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I ordered the Sport Seats on my Q5 (which will hopefully be here in about 2 weeks) but I sat in them in another vehicle at the dealer to see if they were a good choice, after reading the posts on here. They were a good fit for me and my wife, who have average builds. I think I will be happy with them but will post again after I get the car and use them for a little while.

Last edited by RingMan1; 04-17-2021 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-20-2021, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

21 SQ5 Prestige with the ventilated seats here and they are horrible comfort wise. I have to empty out all my pockets to make sure the bolster doesn’t poke my thighs.
I have around 7k miles already and they still feel super firm. Have had friends say the same thing about the front passenger seat as well. The good news is that the backseat is softer and more comfortable. I have no idea why Audi can’t make something similar to the Porsche 14-way, 18-way seats that are both comfortable and ventilated.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by jsq5
21 SQ5 Prestige with the ventilated seats here and they are horrible comfort wise. I have to empty out all my pockets to make sure the bolster doesn’t poke my thighs.
I have around 7k miles already and they still feel super firm. Have had friends say the same thing about the front passenger seat as well. The good news is that the backseat is softer and more comfortable. I have no idea why Audi can’t make something similar to the Porsche 14-way, 18-way seats that are both comfortable and ventilated.
Backseat is comfortable, I do all my driving from there (jk)
The following 3 users liked this post by jaims:
ronsal (04-21-2021), scrmorling (04-21-2021), Wires (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 03:45 AM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the same concerns with my 18 SQ5 with sport seats. I will say that after a few months I either got used to them or the bolsters softened up a bit. I don't mind them too much for my daily driving but I do hesitate to take the car on a long road trip. It seems like about 2 hours straight is my limit.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Daltonk
A side note. I ordered my 2018 SQ5 Prestige with Alcantara fabric upholstery instead of leather. It's cool in summer and warm in winter and comfortable. I've had several cars fitted with Alcantara upholstery and would choose it again.
The following users liked this post:
Centerfield13 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jaims
Backseat is comfortable, I do all my driving from there (jk)
My wife does all her driving from there, for sure.
The following 5 users liked this post by RingMan1:
jaims (04-21-2021), JohnKS (04-28-2021), ribeye (04-21-2021), scrmorling (04-21-2021), spindlewood (04-21-2021)

Quick Reply: 2021 prestige seat discomfort