Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2024 Audi Q5 PHEV MIL runaround

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2024 Audi Q5 PHEV MIL runaround

I hope someone can help me here. I had my brand new q5 2 weeks. Check engine light on. Had loaner for 6 weeks while dealer waiting for part from Germany.
Drive 2 days and check engine light again. Dealer says car needs software update and they won’t have it for weeks but ok to drive while check engine light is on.
I also have while charging in 120v fan continually on.
No one checked so now I get an answer from Audi USA that check engine light will come on while charging. Wtf! So who resets this ? Trips to dealer ?
Dealer told me I can only charge in 240v. Told manger not coming back to pick up my car until I get a decent answer. Please service my car.

Advice is apprenticed.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

As no one else has replied...
I'm sorry you're having this experience with a new car. It has to be really frustrating. My inclination would be to get the GM of the dealership involved as well as AOA. I'd also be checking into the lemon laws of your state. If they want you to drive with a Check Engine Light, get them to put that in writing. In fact, have them put everything in writing. Make sure that not picking up your car supports whatever sequence is needed for the lemon law (e.g. number of days or times the car is in the shop for the same problem). Good luck.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Reply

Originally Posted by spindlewood
As no one else has replied...
I'm sorry you're having this experience with a new car. It has to be really frustrating. My inclination would be to get the GM of the dealership involved as well as AOA. I'd also be checking into the lemon laws of your state. If they want you to drive with a Check Engine Light, get them to put that in writing. In fact, have them put everything in writing. Make sure that not picking up your car supports whatever sequence is needed for the lemon law (e.g. number of days or times the car is in the shop for the same problem). Good luck.

I am picking up my car today. The Gm has been very nice with helping. So what the story is now …the q5 hybrid-if charging on a 120v needs to be on the 50% selection. Takes all day. Until the Audi corporation gets the update to fix that - this is how it is. It will trip the engine light to come on. I am also getting a non Audi charging cable that they say will work. My car is the 2nd one there for this reason. So until the update comes for the system to work the 120 charging there is this issue. I will get this all in writing that if the check engine light comes back on I will not drive my car and I need a loaner until the update comes in. I am a skeptic - what if this isn’t the problem.
it’s a wait and see.
Old 06-30-2024, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same problem - driving a loaner

LauraL,
I just bought a 2024 Q5 PHEV 2 weeks ago. The yellow check engine light came on within 2 days. The service advisor at the dealership told me it was okay to drive until I could bring it in. It's now at the dealer awaiting a part and I'm driving a loaner vehicle. I was told it was a "charging control module" issue.
At any rate, I will post the results of this situation to this thread. I'd be very interested in your results and anyone else in this situation.

I hope your issue is resolved and thanks for posting your experience.
Regards,
Bob S.
Corvallis Oregon
Old 06-30-2024, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have my car back and charging it at 50% on 110v to see if this has been the issue to my check engine light.
In was told that until Audi has the software update to correct the problem that I should try this. They also ordered me another marker cable to charge.

I am the 2nd q5 there with this issue. There is a software update that should correct the problem of the car acknowledging a 110v charge. In the meantime I will see if the check engine light reappears. I’ll know after a few hours.

if the light comes on then that was the trigger. Audi USA responded that the 110v charging can trip the light. Nothing about a software update. the dealership has been very accommodating and nothing we may have an answer soon.

I am patient. I only have 350 miles in my new car.

To be continued in a day for recap.
Old 07-02-2024, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks for the update

LauraL,
Thanks for the update. I'll keep an eye on your thread. My car is still at the dealers and I'll check with them later today. I'll post my experience as it evolves.
Bob S.
Corvallis, OR
Old 07-02-2024, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LauraLCastro
I have my car back and charging it at 50% on 110v to see if this has been the issue to my check engine light.
In was told that until Audi has the software update to correct the problem that I should try this. They also ordered me another marker cable to charge.

I am the 2nd q5 there with this issue. There is a software update that should correct the problem of the car acknowledging a 110v charge. In the meantime I will see if the check engine light reappears. I’ll know after a few hours.

if the light comes on then that was the trigger. Audi USA responded that the 110v charging can trip the light. Nothing about a software update. the dealership has been very accommodating and nothing we may have an answer soon.

I am patient. I only have 350 miles in my new car.

To be continued in a day for recap.
When I charge at 120, the charger is at 100%. When I charge at 240, it’s at 50%. No CEL in over a year of driving.
Maybe your car has the new charging cable.
The following users liked this post:
jebhick (07-03-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Q5 mil runaround

I am back. Dealer told me today that my charger is in. I was told that the 220v box is in and I need an electrician to install.
This is not what I was told. I was told that there is another cable that they think will work until the software update is available. In the meantime I did charge my car on 50% and it did not trip the MIL light to go on. That was the solution to be had until I get the update.
So now I have a wall box. I asked what happen to the charging cable that was ordered?
I was told nothing about an install of a charging station.
I also read in this forum about a recall to the charging cable ? Anyone get a new charger?
Waiting for the dealership to call back.
Laura
Old 07-10-2024, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

My understanding is that the portable charging unit that came with the car was being recalled. There is nothing that has to be installed. Just plugged into whatever you used before. Plus the software, of course.
Old 07-11-2024, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 182 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Q5 PHEV. Most german car manufacturers are honestly not quite ready for PHEV vehicles. And you will need an electrician to install a 220 volts wall charger, and they are not cheap to install. My installation cost was $1200.00 for a 220 volts charger.

Quick Reply: 2024 Audi Q5 PHEV MIL runaround