Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Another warranty thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another warranty thread.

When I heard "10 years, 120k" for $3900 and $0 deductible, "bumper to bumper", I thought - great! Reasons why I sprung:
  • keeping the car for 10 years
  • wary of dual clutch transmissions (see: B8 S4 DSG nightmares, costing upwards of $10k to fix)
  • wary of virtual cockpit / new electronics for 2018.

I found out that what I bought into was "Gold" and not "Platinum". From Audi's website, here's the breakdown:

Navigation is not covered... One of the main reasons why I wanted to get this warranty. In the event one of these 2 screens fail, I highly doubt it will be covered by my warranty choice.

For those that sprung for warranty, what level did you get?

For those that said screw the warranty, how long are you keeping the car and what's your plan if something fails outside of warranty?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have to look through my paperwork and see which one I have.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have platinum after checking. Technically I paid less than stated because they took an extra $1500 off the car to offset the warranty cost .I drive a lot which is why I wanted 48 months instead of 60/72/120. If i keep the car for 5-6 years I'll be well over 200k miles
Old 02-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I have platinum after checking. Technically I paid less than stated because they took an extra $1500 off the car to offset the warranty cost .I drive a lot which is why I wanted 48 months instead of 60/72/120. If i keep the car for 5-6 years I'll be well over 200k miles
Thanks for the reply! Gave me a bit of a benchmark to start from.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktales
When I heard "10 years, 120k" for $3900 and $0 deductible, "bumper to bumper", I thought - great! Reasons why I sprung:
  • keeping the car for 10 years
  • wary of dual clutch transmissions (see: B8 S4 DSG nightmares, costing upwards of $10k to fix)
  • wary of virtual cockpit / new electronics for 2018.

I found out that what I bought into was "Gold" and not "Platinum". From Audi's website, here's the breakdown:

Navigation is not covered... One of the main reasons why I wanted to get this warranty. In the event one of these 2 screens fail, I highly doubt it will be covered by my warranty choice.

For those that sprung for warranty, what level did you get?

For those that said screw the warranty, how long are you keeping the car and what's your plan if something fails outside of warranty?
The VW and Audi DSG transmissions after the 2011MY are no longer an issue. True, it is expensive to replace a DSG tranny when it fails but the possibility of it failing especially in your second gen model is very little.

I am still on the fence on the extended warranty for my '16 S5. I have a few more years to decide whether to buy it or not. However, at this point in time, I am considering to insure my car myself by building up a repair fund for future out-of warranty repairs. Aside from worn suspension components, thermostat, and possibly water pump, the B8.5 S5 has been historically reliable including engine and tranny. But, I have to target a larger repair fund to cover around $10k of repairs. I can also fix electrical-related issues and some mechanical issues myself. But, I will leave bigger jobs to an independent mechanic or an Audi dealer to do. I plan to keep the car indefinitely until my back and hip no longer allows me to enjoy a low-slung coupe. The nice thing about DIY is you get to keep the the unused portion of the repair fund at the end of the day.

If you got the Platinum coverage, I believe you get a credit of around $1,000 back in the form of a dealership GC or towards a new extended warranty policy if you did not use any part of the extended warranty.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don't remember the quoted costs, but I declined. In general, I don't think extended warranties are worthwhile. In the event something goes wrong after manufacturer warranty, I'll pay for it out of pocket. But from what I've experienced in the past, a major repair might be 1500 or so. That still puts me ahead of the game. 2 major repairs and it's then a break-even, A mega repair? Then I lost the "gamble." Let's not forget that one can't predict the future. Besides unexpected post-warranty repairs, there's also the opposite possibilities such as deciding to get rid of the car early. Or (as in my case last year!) having your 3 1/2 year old car totaled in an accident.
Reality is tat extended warranties, like many other forms of insurance, is a personal decision based on risk tolerance; for me, I can take on some risk so I don't see the value on extended warranty. "Your mileage may vary.".