Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Anyone tempted by new RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Anyone tempted by new RDX?

I had the new RDX at the top of my list until seeing it in person, and giving it a spin.

Anyways, things I liked:

Seating: Seat portion felt more forgiving than the Q5 Warm Weathers seats.
Exterior Color Selection: Always a personal preference, but I liked the Acura silver.
Pricing: Except for the $5K being added to MSRP here in SD, nicely equipped for the price (when that goes away in a month or so).
Interior: More storage room with rear seats down.

Things I didn’t like:”

New body: Too sporty looking for my liking. Prefer the more conservative lines of the Q5.
Front cab area: Dashboard layout design didn’t appeal to me as much as the cleaner lines of the Q5
Breaking: Odd feeling..can’t quite put it into words, but didn’t feel as responsive
Exterior Trim: I didn’t mind the black side ext. door trim (only on the sport/tech trim), but the ext. aluminum door trim didn’t appeal to me.
Infotainment: not gaga about the Q5 MMI, etc, but the RDX seems to have more layers/levels to cycle thru for basic stuff
Push button Shifter: not a fan of this. I suppose I would grow into it but didn’t want to speculate if that would be the case.
Interior: seating wise, felt a little boxed in...probably just me

For me, the deciding factors were (i) RDX exterior body style a bit too sporty for me and (ii) concerns about reliabilty of a first year model and Acura arguably questionable record with recent transmissions. That 10 gear transmission may well turn out to be the cats meow but just couldn’t see being the guinea pig for others who sit on the sideline for a year to see if things pan out well.

14 years with Acura...Now moving to Audi and fingers crossed that I hit the car lottery with my new Q5 (ie, fix to six figure mileage without issues).
Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came from a 2014 RDX.I had planned to wait for the new RDX,but once I drove the Q5, I was sold. I am happy with my choice. Your right,just a little to sporty looking for me.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. We looked at it. Wife drove the 2019 RDX last week and liked all the gizmos, except for the drive shifter. They've gone to a button type that'll need some time to get use to.

As a side note. We owned the 2010 Q5 3.2, PP, purchased in 2009 for 5 years and traded it in for her now 2015 RDX. She loved the Q5, but as an early release Q5 with 88K miles in 2015 and 2.5 years out of the 50K warranty, I wasn't having any of Audi's expensive out of warranty repairs. The climate system was starting to give problems. The gas door lock was also troublesome. But using this forum I was able to replace the gas door lock mechanism myself. Early on, under warranty, the plastic water pump needed to be replaced as well as the module for the DRL's. Otherwise it was a solid car. Audi is a luxury brand, while Acura is a premium brand IMO but the four years now with the Acura have been bullet proof, with only the battery needing replacement. If we were to get another Q5, it would have to be with the 3.0, similar to what I have in my S5. It's powerful and smooth, but nicely equipped, it can come close to $60K. The Acura offers a much better value, although not the cachet of the Audi.

I personally did not drive the new RDX, as it will be primarily the wife's car. So don't know how this 2.0 turbo and 10 speed tranny feels like. But I also want to wait and see if there are any issues with this power train before considering it. Also, they want top dollar right now and I'm not buying any car at MSRP. Better deals will surface once the 2018's are all sold by the end of the year. The Q is a wonderful car. But having one German (S5) one Japanese (RDX) and one American (Silverado P/U) works for this household.

Will look to work out a better deal on the 2019 RDX towards years end and let the hoopla settle down for now. Here is an interesting video. Notice how the reviewer does not mention anything about the RDX acceleration. Might be a case of "if nothing good to say, say nothing" lol

Last edited by lmariorod; 06-18-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We just bought SQ5 coming from 2015 RDX. Test drove the 2019 RDX and one listen to that whining engine sent me running. IMHO
Old 06-18-2018, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Notice how the reviewer does not mention anything about the RDX acceleration. Might be a case of "if nothing good to say, say nothing" lol
He even says "lets accelerate, then talk about this 2 liter motor" then drives off, but says nothing. Weird.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I’d be more intrigued for the Type S version whenever it comes out. Supposed to have a turbo V6.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by kbug
I think I’d be more intrigued for the Type S version whenever it comes out. Supposed to have a turbo V6.
More than a few RDX enthusiasts were bummed that the A-Spec trim line is with the 4 cylinder engine - hardly what one would see in most sport trim lines.

Also FWIW, some rumblings on the Acura forums about taking a chance with the new RDX powertrain.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jaims
More than a few RDX enthusiasts were bummed that the A-Spec trim line is with the 4 cylinder engine - hardly what one would see in most sport trim lines.

Also FWIW, some rumblings on the Acura forums about taking a chance with the new RDX powertrain.
Yeah it seems that A-Spec is cosmetic upgrades only. And even then you can’t get the other features like HUD and 360 camera. For those you have to get the Advance.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Before I got my sq5, I test drove damn near everything. I really thought I was getting a Sedan actually but with a kid on the way, my choices changed. The thing with the acuras I drove was that they never felt like they had the stated power, and worse off was I couldn't un-see the Honda accord in every one of them. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but when you compare a top spec tlx to an accord touring, it's hard to not see the value in the accord. The new rdx looks very nice and I'm sure will sell well. I may have at least considered it if it was out when I was shopping
Old 06-18-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Acura is no where near the driving experience or the interior technology of Audi. The apples to apples comparison here is the RDX to the Q5. I'll take a Q5 any day.

Quick Reply: Anyone tempted by new RDX?